Tenacious D

The Tigers should try and sign Manny Machado

19 hours ago, sabretooth said:

In all seriousness signing machado makes all the sense in the world.  They are likely to get more production out of him for a longer period of time than even 2 good draft picks. 

The draft and develop approach is supposed to garner results within Machado's likely prime performance period (3-5 yrs). So it would make sense to sign him in any case.

So have at it salary scolds, argue against...it certainly feels like your Tigers these days.

Yes.  Machado may still have some improvement to go yet.  They'd be buying his prime years rather than buying his declining years off his prime year rates.

6 hours ago, Mr. Bigglesworth said:

A boat's a boat, but the Mystery Box could be anything!  It could even be a boat!

...and you know how much we've wanted one of those!

21 hours ago, six-hopper said:

The Yankees played a terrible defender at shortstop for 20 years.  Worked out okay for them.

Jeter averaged around -12 Rdrs. Not good, but still much better than what Machdo has shown. Unless this year is just a reflection of being 'out of practice' and he improves, Manny looks a lot worse than Jeter.

33 minutes ago, DubTownTigersFan said:

Nearly ever team in the MLB should be in on Machado, us included. I just don't think we have any chance. 

Well, yes, but we should still try.

6 minutes ago, Gehringer_2 said:

Jeter averaged around -12 Rdrs. Not good, but still much better than what Machdo has shown. Unless this year is just a reflection of being 'out of practice' and he improves, Manny looks a lot worse than Jeter.

I admit to not actually watching Machado play SS, so I don’t really have an opinion on how he looks out there. I think his UZR numbers are better than his DRS numbers. His inside edge fielding numbers also seem to be in the average range. 

I wouldn't worry much about his defense at SS.  Maybe Machado just needed a season to shake off rust over at SS?  It ain't gonna hurt to try him there next season.  Like someone else said (Shelton?), put him at 3B if he can't handle SS and move Candelario to 1B. 

Hadn't thought of that, but yeah, no reason that can't happen.

3 hours ago, DubTownTigersFan said:

Nearly ever team in the MLB should be in on Machado, us included. I just don't think we have any chance. 

J.D. Martinez didn’t sign with the Sox until February 25th this year.  After Spring Training started.  And he was the elite free agent hitter available.

I’m not sure that there will be a bidding war for Machado.  If there is, I don’t like our chances.  However, if this offseason is anything like last year, the highest bidder likely gets him.  We’ll just have to pay the Detroit tax like we did with Pudge and Maggs.

31 minutes ago, Tenacious D said:

J.D. Martinez didn’t sign with the Sox until February 25th this year.  After Spring Training started.  And he was the elite free agent hitter available.

I’m not sure that there will be a bidding war for Machado.  If there is, I don’t like our chances.  However, if this offseason is anything like last year, the highest bidder likely gets him.  We’ll just have to pay the Detroit tax like we did with Pudge and Maggs.

I don't think Machado and Martinez are good comparisons for one another.  I think when you factor in age and defensive ability, it adds a pretty good amount of leverage to Machado that maybe Martinez didn't have.  It is absurd that Martinez didn't sign until late February.  BUt I don't think that will happen with Machado.

One thing to consider though is virtually every contender or likely buyer is set at SS so if we did decide to go after him being able to offer him the chance to play short could be something in our favor.   

14 minutes ago, roarintiger1 said:

Why.........would Manny Machado want to play in Detroit?    

Rumor has it they have a professional baseball team, and he’s a professional baseball player that will be out of work soon. 

20 minutes ago, roarintiger1 said:

$

Manny should probably bat second for the tigers, but that spot will be occupied by Alex when we bring him back to mentor Greyson. 

45 minutes ago, roarintiger1 said:

We have good fishing in the area.

9 hours ago, Mr. Bigglesworth said:

$$$$$

I rounded to the nearest Roman numeral.  But, yeah, Machado will be making some nice coin soon.