Jump to content

Tenacious D

The Tigers should try and sign Manny Machado

Recommended Posts

We should focus on being bad for about 20 years so we can have lots of awesome draft picks to trade for more draft picks.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

28 minutes ago, Tigrrfan said:

You just describe Iggy.

You just described Jose Iglesias.

Okay, I'll give it a try:  He's younger, healthier,  plays better defense, and is a better hitter.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
52 minutes ago, sabretooth said:

We should focus on being bad for about 20 years so we can have lots of awesome draft picks to trade for more draft picks.

And cost control.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Braves or Phillies are entering full blown contention mode after the rebuild. Thats when you sign a Machado.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, Tim Mitchell said:

Braves or Phillies are entering full blown contention mode after the rebuild. Thats when you sign a Machado.

So Dixon is about to get paid?

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 9/2/2018 at 11:32 PM, Tenacious D said:

I realize that we are in full-blown rebuild mode, but Machado plays a position of need and is only 26 years old.  Someone is going to have to pony up for 8-10 years, at $30 mil per.  That would take him to age 35-37. 

2019 Manny Machado could be the same as a 2004 Ivan Rodriguez.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I like the idea. It will never happen, but I like it. 

Sign him to play SS. In time, move him to 3b. It would be “early” to sign an expensive free agent, but if a comparable talent doesn’t appear to be available as a free agent a couple seasons from now, this is a way to get one. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
26 minutes ago, davidsb said:

2019 Manny Machado could be the same as a 2004 Ivan Rodriguez.

He'll sign a 4 year/$40 million contract?  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I think the chances of signing Machado are very slim, but I would love it.  The timing may not be ideal for pursuing free agents, but you don't get many chances to acquire an elite player at age 26.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
21 minutes ago, tiger337 said:

I think the chances of signing Machado are very slim, but I would love it.  The timing may not be ideal for pursuing free agents, but you don't get many chances to acquire an elite player at age 26.  

Yes, this.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
54 minutes ago, bobrob2004 said:

He'll sign a 4 year/$40 million contract?  

That he could be the catalyst to a pennant winner in a few years!!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, davidsb said:

That he could be the catalyst to a pennant winner in a few years!!

They need to sign Vina first though.  Machado won't sign unless Vina is on the team.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, davidsb said:

That he could be the catalyst to a pennant winner in a few years!!

Oh, I thought Niko Goodrum already filled that role.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Shelton said:

Sign him to play SS.

Seriously ..why would any team want Manny Machado (MM) to play shortstop?  Simply put, he is not all that good defensively at shortstop.  In fact, according to fg and bbref ..appears he is the worst defensive full-time shortstop in the entire Major Leagues this year.

And if anyone thinks about moving Machado to 3b against his wishes (..he wants shortstop)  ..then where do you put Jeimer Candelario?

Again ..Machado is a great hitter ..but he is no Miguel Cabrera ..and at similar age in their careers ..definitely not a Batting Champion threat ..not a perennial .950++ OPS threat like Miggy was ..not a perennial 150+ OPS+ threat like Miggy was ..but money-wise, Manny will probably command more money per year (average) at age 26 via Free Agency than Miggy ever made per season.

Personally, I think Manny Machado is slightly overrated.  IMHO ..let some other team sign him and pay him.  Let the Tigers build a contending team first via their farm system and trades ..and only then begin to sign complementary FA's.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

In all seriousness signing machado makes all the sense in the world.  They are likely to get more production out of him for a longer period of time than even 2 good draft picks. 

The draft and develop approach is supposed to garner results within Machado's likely prime performance period (3-5 yrs). So it would make sense to sign him in any case.

So have at it salary scolds, argue against...it certainly feels like your Tigers these days.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
44 minutes ago, Tigrrfan said:

Seriously ..why would any team want Manny Machado (MM) to play shortstop?  Simply put, he is not all that good defensively at shortstop.  In fact, according to fg and bbref ..appears he is the worst defensive full-time shortstop in the entire Major Leagues this year.

And if anyone thinks about moving Machado to 3b against his wishes (..he wants shortstop)  ..then where do you put Jeimer Candelario?

Again ..Machado is a great hitter ..but he is no Miguel Cabrera ..and at similar age in their careers ..definitely not a Batting Champion threat ..not a perennial .950++ OPS threat like Miggy was ..not a perennial 150+ OPS+ threat like Miggy was ..but money-wise, Manny will probably command more money per year (average) at age 26 via Free Agency than Miggy ever made per season.

Personally, I think Manny Machado is slightly overrated.  IMHO ..let some other team sign him and pay him.  Let the Tigers build a contending team first via their farm system and trades ..and only then begin to sign complementary FA's.

Well, for one thing, you want him to play SS if it helps you sign him relative to teams that want him to play 3b. For another thing, even if his defense is as bad as the metrics say it is, he’s still been worth close to 6 wins. So a team without a SS would benefit greatly from having him play SS. It’s also possible that he regresses positively and he’s never this bad again. He may also be more willing to move back to 3b after he gets paid. 

Jeimer could move to 1B. We don’t have one of those. 

Let him play SS in 2019 when it doesn’t really matter and then figure out 2020 and beyond after that. He might bounce back and be fine defensively. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

If we signed Machado and Miggy came back even close to his old self that could provide us with 10+ wins right there. 

If you get improvement from Jeimer and Fulmer to go along with some reinforcements to the staff in 2020 with Mize, Manning and Perez and it's not hard to be optimistic about them competing in 2020 2021.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
24 minutes ago, RandyMarsh said:

If we signed Machado and Miggy came back even close to his old self that could provide us with 10+ wins right there. 

If you get improvement from Jeimer and Fulmer to go along with some reinforcements to the staff in 2020 with Mize, Manning and Perez and it's not hard to be optimistic about them competing in 2020 2021.  

And if Castellanos becomes a GG right fielder, and Boyd and/or Norris becomes a CY contender, and James Hicks becomes a terrific 1b-man and hits .320/44/119, and Jimenez becomes the next Mario Rivera, ..and James McCann & Jacoby Jones turn into Lance Parrish & Chet Lemon (respectively) ..and Don Kelly and Delmon Young both come out of retirement (ha ha) ..the Tigers could win a World Series too.

.............

OK, that was fun!

Now more realism.  I would bet $100 that Mize, Manning, and Perez are not all going to be solid MLB pitchers for the Tigers all at the same time within the next 5 years ..and slim chance after that.  It is just too rare in MLB history to have any realistic faith its going to happen for the Tigers this time.

It will be a miracle if Fulmer ever pitches a full season for the Tigers. 

On a positive note:  I think Jeimer will improve both offensively and defensively.  He may eventually be moved from 3b to outfield to make room for a younger prospect at 3b (although Jeimer is still only 24.)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, Tigrrfan said:

And if Castellanos becomes a GG right fielder, and Boyd and/or Norris becomes a CY contender, and James Hicks becomes a terrific 1b-man and hits .320/44/119, and Jimenez becomes the next Mario Rivera, ..and James McCann & Jacoby Jones turn into Lance Parrish & Chet Lemon (respectively) ..and Don Kelly and Delmon Young both come out of retirement (ha ha) ..the Tigers could win a World Series too.

.............

OK, that was fun!

Now more realism.  I would bet $100 that Mize, Manning, and Perez are not all going to be solid MLB pitchers for the Tigers all at the same time within the next 5 years ..and slim chance after that.  It is just too rare in MLB history to have any realistic faith its going to happen for the Tigers this time.

It will be a miracle if Fulmer ever pitches a full season for the Tigers. 

On a positive note:  I think Jeimer will improve both offensively and defensively.  He may eventually be moved from 3b to outfield to make room for a younger prospect at 3b (although Jeimer is still only 24.)

I don't see Jeimer in the OF at all.  Maybe first base, if he has enough bat.  Don't know if that wrist will hold up.  I think Paredes might be the future 3b/OF corner that you are referring to.  I think if healthy, Fulmer will be an excellent starter wherever he's pitching in the league.  I think Manning and Mize are studs, and Perez has a chance.  He needs to pitch.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Tigrrfan said:

Seriously ..why would any team want Manny Machado (MM) to play shortstop?  Simply put, he is not all that good defensively at shortstop.  In fact, according to fg and bbref ..appears he is the worst defensive full-time shortstop in the entire Major Leagues this year.

And if anyone thinks about moving Machado to 3b against his wishes (..he wants shortstop)  ..then where do you put Jeimer Candelario?

Again ..Machado is a great hitter ..but he is no Miguel Cabrera ..and at similar age in their careers ..definitely not a Batting Champion threat ..not a perennial .950++ OPS threat like Miggy was ..not a perennial 150+ OPS+ threat like Miggy was ..but money-wise, Manny will probably command more money per year (average) at age 26 via Free Agency than Miggy ever made per season.

Personally, I think Manny Machado is slightly overrated.  IMHO ..let some other team sign him and pay him.  Let the Tigers build a contending team first via their farm system and trades ..and only then begin to sign complementary FA's.

The Yankees played a terrible defender at shortstop for 20 years.  Worked out okay for them.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On ‎9‎/‎3‎/‎2018 at 9:37 PM, sabretooth said:

We should focus on being bad for about 20 years so we can have lots of awesome draft picks to trade for more draft picks.

A boat's a boat, but the Mystery Box could be anything!  It could even be a boat!

 

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 hours ago, six-hopper said:

The Yankees played a terrible defender at shortstop for 20 years.  Worked out okay for them.

That isn't a nice thing to say about Phil Rizzuto.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×