Keepleyland2

9/3 @2:10 Detroit Tigers vs Chicago White Sox

Watched a replay of Fulmer getting hit, since I didn't see it happen the first time. I wonder how much that hurt - I could see him still breathing hard as he talked to Gardy and the trainer. Ouch.

Dan and Jim talking how rare it is now for pitchers to have equal or better results 2nd or 3rd time through, but I don't think there is that much of a secret to it. I think it's mostly about being good enough  - particularly with your fastball - that you don't have to show much else early in the game, then you add in your other pitches the 2nd and 3rd time through and you never get into a situation where the guy has already seen what you are throwing three times. That and being strong enough that you don't lose velocity after 70-80 pitches are most of the difference.

6 minutes ago, Walewander said:

Watched a replay of Fulmer getting hit, since I didn't see it happen the first time. I wonder how much that hurt - I could see him still breathing hard as he talked to Gardy and the trainer. Ouch.

It had to hurt like ****.

And again, the lack of logic that goes into some of these pitching changes kills me. Hardy has been very solid, just threw 2 good innings, why take him out? Especially lefty/lefty against Palka who hits like Barry Bonds against us.

And to bring in Greene and his high ERA, especially after yesterday, defies all logic.

The whole "closer", "set up man", "7th inning guy" doesn't work when you have a bullpen like the Tigers have had the past decade.

• Like 1

You have to be unconventional with a bad bullpen. Love Gardy. But Hardy should've stayed in for Palka after yesterday's 30 pitch inning by Greene.

Just now, Sydney_Fife said:

Wow. Bomb, single, bomb. 

Why was Greene even out there?

He's really lost whatever he had going earlier in the season.

4 minutes ago, Gehringer_2 said:

He's really lost whatever he had going earlier in the season.

I think he's regressed to his mean.  He's pedestrian at best.   I'd rather they pitched Hardy, VerHagen or Alcantara in that role right now.