cruzer1

2019 Draft Pick Watch

So we have the 5th pick locked with a chance for the 4th pick tomorrow with a Miami and Brewer win.

Either way not too bad but next year lets hope we do not need a thread like this.

26 minutes ago, Tigrrfan said:

Marlins lose in bottom of 13th when the Mets Austin Jackson hits Walk-Off RBI double.

Jackson sucks

-Shelton

18 minutes ago, socaltiger said:

So we have the 5th pick locked with a chance for the 4th pick tomorrow with a Miami and Brewer win.

Either way not too bad but next year lets hope we do not need a thread like this.

Next year will probably look a lot like this year, with a thread like this needed as well. You'll just start to see the beginnings of the turnaround (hopefully) with a wave of young talent and FAs arriving in 2020 and then again in 2021.

3 hours ago, Keepleyland2 said:

Next year will probably look a lot like this year, with a thread like this needed as well. You'll just start to see the beginnings of the turnaround (hopefully) with a wave of young talent and FAs arriving in 2020 and then again in 2021.

I suppose you are right but maybe tracking a 10 to 15 spot will be improvement ? One can only hope.

5 hours ago, socaltiger said:

I suppose you are right but maybe tracking a 10 to 15 spot will be improvement ? One can only hope.

I'd rather be bad again and take one more really high pick instead of just having a moral victory to pick 12 because we won 75 games.

• Thanks 1

8:  Rangers 67W/94L @Mariners

7:  Reds  67/94  Pirates

6:  Padres  65/96  D-Backs

5:  Tigers 64/97  @Brewers

4:  Marlins  63/97  @Mets

3:  White Sox  62/99  @Twins

2:  Royals

1:  Orioles

11 hours ago, socaltiger said:

Next year we'll be like 1967 or 1981.

2 hours ago, Keepleyland2 said:

I'd rather be bad again and take one more really high pick instead of just having a moral victory to pick 12 because we won 75 games.

Winning more games can mean that young players are making progress though.  

20 minutes ago, tiger337 said:

Given this year's lineup of aging veterans and 4A players (except for Casty), I find it remarkable that they won as many as they did.

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, apabruce said:

Given this year's lineup of aging veterans and 4A players (except for Casty), I find it remarkable that they won as many as they did.

good managing......

<g,d&r>

1 hour ago, tiger337 said:

I still don't think we'll have many young players next year. Candy and probably Stewart. After that its gonna be a lot of Niko and Hicks. 

Tough to forecast, but going into this year I thought we could be in the mix for top pick and that we were unlikely to be worse than 5. I saw KC and Miami as clearly worse than us heading into the year, with SD pretty close. Didn't see Bal's total collapse coming and thought Sox would be better given all their young talent up. They actually might be a good model for what we look like next year. 

Heading into next year, the most terrible teams look like Bal, KC and Mia. I suppose we could be just as bad. SF and Tex look bad/rebuilding in early stages. Tor,  SD, Cin, W-Sox could all be bad too. Those latter teams could all take steps forward/be better than us with their young talent improving. 

To sum up, I think we are pretty clearly in the mix for a top five pick again next year and a top ten pick feels guaranteed. 

Yeah assuming they don't make any major splashes in FA I think it's a safe bet that they finish in the top 5 next season, unless of course they call up #Deathrage early in the year.  That would change everything. 

5 hours ago, Keepleyland2 said:

This.  We’re top 5 worst team again next year.

I think you're going to see a lot of mid-season and/or up-and-down (spot starts, etc.), and Sept call-ups next year. Stewart will have a spot for most of the year... but also Daz, a lot of BP arms, Lugo, maybe even Castro and Paredes and/or Rogers in September... Burrows, and outside chance of Mize by September? Too late to affect our draft position with any of these cups of coffee as I think we're still top 10 draft pick...

...but the flickers of change are upon us. Not yet ready to roar into wild fire.

7 minutes ago, 84 Lives!!! said:

I think you're going to see a lot of mid-season and/or up-and-down (spot starts, etc.), and Sept call-ups next year. Stewart will have a spot for most of the year... but also Daz, a lot of BP arms, Lugo, maybe even Castro and Paredes and/or Rogers in September... Burrows, and outside chance of Mize by September? Too late to affect our draft position with any of these cups of coffee as I think we're still top 10 draft pick...

...but the flickers of change are upon us. Not yet ready to roar into wild fire.

Yeah, next year I'm expecting them to be 90+ loss bad again (though the Central is going to be terrible again too which may inflate them a touch) however I also think the 2nd half of the year is more fun for the reason you mention.   No doubt there will be some disappointments but I think some core players will come into focus too.

1 hour ago, Tigrrfan said:

Meanwhile .. top of ninth .. looking like Marlins will lose to Mets 1-0 again to clinch #4 pick.

8:  Rangers 67W/95L

7:  Reds  67/95

6:  Padres  66/96

5:  Tigers 64/98

4:  Marlins  63/98

3:  White Sox  62/100

2:  Royals

1:  Orioles

Let's hope the Marlins do something stupid in next year's draft, or, better yet, let's hope the Tigers do something inspired.

8 hours ago, Tenacious D said:

This.  We’re top 5 worst team again next year.

and likely the year after that too.

2022 they might be ok.  that will be year 4 1/2 of the rebuild.  thats the usual timeline.

for what it’s worth (which isn’t much), the #5 pick in this year’s draft was Florida 3B Jonathon India.  Pretty good player, though he struggled a bit after getting promoted this year.

9 hours ago, RandyMarsh said:

Yeah assuming they don't make any major splashes in FA I think it's a safe bet that they finish in the top 5 next season, unless of course they call up #Deathrage early in the year.  That would change everything. 

They'll run that service clock BS on Death Rage but by the end of April he'll be up and then it's career 1.000 OPS for the next 15 years.