cruzer1

2019 Draft Pick Watch

On 12/22/2018 at 11:29 PM, Gehringer_2 said:

Sounds good but maybe unreachable at  5.

Not unreasonable. He's regularly mocked around 5-7.

On 12/24/2018 at 5:31 PM, cruzer1 said:

Not unreasonable. He's regularly mocked around 5-7.

I am regularly mocked the whole day through.

• Haha 1

12 hours ago, diaspora04 said:

I am regularly mocked the whole day through.

I only do it when I think that you can't hear me.

1 hour ago, Buddha said:

good list.

rogers too low, faedo and stewart too high but a really nice list.

I think with Faedo we'll know pretty quick. IIRC there was some indication he was recovering some of his FB as the season went on last season, but if he comes to ST and doesn't get over 90 quickly, he immediately drops to a long shot status in my view.

If they can move Nick (which they seem to be telegraphing as their intention) and Cabrera wants to play first, DH is open for Stewart and he could be a nice add there. Someone has to do it. They don't list ages in the boxscore. For me it still goes back to the case that if Cabrera can't get himself in good enough physical condition to play 1st safely at least 2/3 of the time, he probably can't hit and run the basis without hurting himself either. He's is much less a liability there than Stewart is anywhere on the field.

The talking heads always run on about not wanting to make a guy a DH at 25 - but if he can't field any other position you pretty much have to. Ortiz was primarily a DH from the age of 24. The question is not should you make a young guy DH, it's whether you have an old guy you need to save the position for. The Tigers are basically a young team that isn't going to contend right now and to be brutally honest, whether Cabrera gets hurt again at 1b or even doesn't ever play regularly again probably means very little to their future. If Stewart can be a good DH through to 2025,  his career is more important to the Tigers to protect than the rest of Cabrera's.

10 more names from Lynn

1. Rutschman, C, Oregon State, 6-foot-2, 216, switch-hitter: He’s your basic all-tool catching god with an arm manufactured by some weapons contractor and with categorically sensational skills. Good-hitting catchers often are viewed with a kind of sacred awe. Rutschman is genuinely exceptional and today would be regarded as an instant Orioles grab at 1-1.

►2. Witt, Jr., SS, Colleyville (Texas) Heritage High, 6-1, 183, right-handed batter: It’s possible Witt, Jr., whose dad pitched 16 seasons in the big leagues, by June supplants Rutschman as top prize. Witt pretty much was regarded early last summer as this year’s 1-1 pick. He has silky skills at shortstop and immense power. If he makes better contact this spring, it’s easy to ponder Witt, Jr., as the Orioles’ take-home prize.

►3. Josh Jung, 3B, Texas Tech, 6-2, 215, RH batter: He might be a bit thick for third base, but any team drafting Jung isn’t as interested in his eventual position as they are in his potential big-league bat. He is a deadly hitter with power that’s evolving. The White Sox, who have that third turn in June, are paying attention.

4. Kameron Misner, OF-1B, Missouri, 6-4, 210, left-handed batter: It won’t be headline news if Misner moves ahead a slot or two or three. When you hit all the notes — speed, power, batting average, glove, arm, etc. — and you carry his size with a left-handed bat, and can play three outfield positions, that’s a handy artist to have in your inventory. Misner’s a jewel who might be at that top spot had he not been socked last year with a stress fracture in his foot.

5. Andrew Vaughn, 1B, Cal, 6-0, 214, RH batter: You wonder if the White Sox might see in Vaughn a replica of their golden oldie, Paul Konerko. Vaughn has the muscle and hard-contact habits Konerko had. He bats from the same side of the plate. He isn’t as big as that old goateed Tigers-killer, but he can sting a pitch. Keep at least one eye on Vaughn as the Pac-12 season unfurls.

►6. Shea Langeliers, C, Baylor, 6-foot, 190, RH batter:  Were it not for a guy named Rutschman, here would rest America’s top amateur catcher in the winter of 2019. He doesn’t carry, just yet, an All-Star bat as scouts look a few years down the road. But he has power, and the rest of his game is first row. If he shows a bit more crunch at the plate during his spring rehearsals, Langeliers could be scooped quickly.

►7. Matt Wallner, OF, Southern Mississippi, 6-5, 220, LH batter: This is one of those risk-reward stocks as a new season arrives. It isn’t that Wallner lacks any physical necessities. He’s talented enough to pitch or to play the outfield. The question is whether he will show enough substance at the plate to hit for a pleasing average and refrain from strikeouts that have some scouts nervous. He could also turn into a February-to-June locomotive. Scouts, and draft fans, will be monitoring.

8. J.J. Bleday, OF, Vanderbilt, 6-3, 205, LH batter: Commit this man to memory. He’s a Vandy guy, which never hurts, given the school’s knack for delivering high-horsepower big-league talent. He also has a lovely left-handed swing with growing power. That he plays right field with style makes him likely Top 10 material, even in January.

9. Riley Greene, OF, Hagerty (Fla.) High, 6-2, 190, LH batter:  Ranks today as the best high-school hitter in America, which should beget the kind of June draft spot and offer that wipes away his University of Florida scholarship. Depends, per usual, how a prep’s spring shapes up. The Tigers will be taking notes.

10. Corbin Carroll, OF, Lakeside High, Seattle, 5-10, 160, LH batter: Not a lot of 5-10 players find their way onto Top 10 lists, but Carroll is such a gifted center fielder with power beyond his size that teams will be wondering whether he should carry on at UCLA, where he earlier committed, or head straight to the bushes for grooming that might make him a farm-system center piece.

1 hour ago, Tenacious D said:

How does this list change from the last one he posted?  Are teams playing and I’m not aware?

these are just some hitters

2 hours ago, Tenacious D said:

How does this list change from the last one he posted?  Are teams playing and I’m not aware?

Lynn doesn't need anything to actually happen when he gets the urge to grace us with some flowery prose.  

I'm waiting for his Daz Cameron is the next Ken Griffey Jr. article followed of course by an article 2 weeks later about the lack of impact prospects in the system and the fact they won't be good for another 7 years.