cruzer1

2019 Draft Pick Watch

26 minutes ago, Gehringer_2 said:

No way to know I suppose. I think when a guy hits his 20s and starts to figure it out the way Daz has this year, he can move pretty fast, but until a guy faces MLB level pitching, it's all still guessing.

The Tigers need to get the most out of his peak years, and delay his free agency (and Paredes) if possible.

I'm not convinced the Tigers will play that game. They could have done that with Jeimer last year and chose not to.

If Daz is playing really well in AAA, I could see a promotion by midseason. 

13 minutes ago, irvink said:

I'm not convinced the Tigers will play that game. They could have done that with Jeimer last year and chose not to.

Right after they trade Casty for a haul we can pick apart for 5 years.  😉

10 hours ago, irvink said:

I think the service time loophole that we've seen in recent seasons will be sewn up with the next collective bargaining agreement.

I also don't think that the Tigers will play that game while its around, but its hard to know for sure.

My guess is that Cameron and Reyes have all of 2019 in Toledo to play every day with a likely September call up and, if all goes well, roster spots in Detroit for 2020.  Cameron will only be 23 years old to start 2020 (Reyes 25).

On 9/14/2018 at 6:59 AM, Casimir said:

I think the service time loophole that we've seen in recent seasons will be sewn up with the next collective bargaining agreement.

I hope so.  It is not good for the game if players who are ready for the majors are being held back for non-baseball reasons.  

I think the idea of super-5 free agency is a good one, if they are going to keep using service time. 

A simpler alternative would be tie free agency and arbitration to professional service time and age. You’d need to account for the difference between juky 2 free agents and drafted players, but that would be easy enough. 

2 hours ago, Shelton said:

I think the idea of super-5 free agency is a good one, if they are going to keep using service time. 

A simpler alternative would be tie free agency and arbitration to professional service time and age. You’d need to account for the difference between juky 2 free agents and drafted players, but that would be easy enough. 

Would you tier it to account for differences in high school and college draftees?  International free agents?

42 minutes ago, Casimir said:

Would you tier it to account for differences in high school and college draftees?  International free agents?

Not high school or college. But maybe. I think I mentioned the July 2 free agents. 

Bur super-5 free agency would would be a big help without really shocking the system. 

On 9/4/2018 at 8:58 AM, Tigrrfan said:

Decent chance that at least half of them may not even be Tigers anymore by 2021.  Furthermore, the ones Tigers trade may be outstanding and the ones Tigers retain may be the squats. 

How good is Al Avila?  He has about 2 more years maximum to turn his GM 'legacy' around from mediocre to good.

So many things wrong with this post

55 minutes ago, Tenacious D said:

So many things wrong with this post

To each his own.  Time will tell.