cruzer1

2019 Draft Pick Watch

7 minutes ago, Longgone said:

TINST

I dunno. Ask tggggrfnn. 

Since we're not gonna be good again for another 10 years I wonder if it would be in our best interest to invest heavily in middle schoolers in this draft? I wouldnt want our picks to be past their prime by the time we are good again. 

21 minutes ago, RandyMarsh said:

Since we're not gonna be good again for another 10 years I wonder if it would be in our best interest to invest heavily in middle schoolers in this draft? I wouldnt want our picks to be past their prime by the time we are good again. 

It's an idea.   10 year rebuilds are absurd.   That only means you failed on 1 or 2 rebuilds.

3-5 years is a reasonable timeline to turn a team over with capable drafting, trades and signings.

2020 is the year. Next year will be the surprise year where we finish .500 and hope bubbles to the surface. 

The negative nelly posters are rrrrrrreallt grrrrrrating on my nerrrrrrrves.  

1 minute ago, Shelton said:

You arrrrre not being rrrrrealistic. 

you misspelled "realistic."

1 hour ago, 84 Lives!!! said:

Based on what?

Your opinion?

The only opinion that matters is CI's. Otherwise, you're just blowing hot air into the wind.

Unless Al Avila was signed for more than the reported 5 year contract when he was promoted to GM ..it was based upon when his current contract expires.

5 minutes ago, Tigrrfan said:

Unless Al Avila was signed for more than the reported 5 year contract when he was promoted to GM ..it was based upon when his current contract expires.

Which still doesn't put the ultimatum that you have appeared to place on him. "He has about 2 more years maximum to turn his GM 'legacy' around from mediocre to good."

Did Ilitch say this? If not, AA has as much time as Ilitch is willing to give him to turn this around. Contract notwithstanding.

3 hours ago, socaltiger said:

I don't understand the Al Avilia bashing. Hasn't he taken our farm system from one of the 5 worst to one of the 10 best in two years ?

Yes, it is quite amazing how quickly the Tigers farm system made it from one of the worst and into the top 10.  One reason why is all the pitching prospects ..plus some of the prospect received in previous trades have looked much better this year.

I am also aware that sometimes a team can rise in the ranking because a team (or teams) above them drop lower due to promoting some of their own prospects from the minors up to the majors.

Still a 'wait-and-see' stage for me.

3 minutes ago, Tigrrfan said:

Yes, it is quite amazing how quickly the Tigers farm system made it from one of the worst and into the top 10.  One reason why is all the pitching prospects ..plus some of the prospect received in previous trades have looked much better this year.

I am also aware that sometimes a team can rise in the ranking because a team (or teams) above them drop lower due to promoting some of their own prospects from the minors up to the majors.

Still a 'wait-and-see' stage for me.

Fair enough. Long way to go for sure but for me I think we are in good hands.

15 minutes ago, 84 Lives!!! said:

Which still doesn't put the ultimatum that you have appeared to place on him.

It is my opinion.

As far as I am concerned ..since Al Avila became Tiger GM ..was absolutely horrible his first off-season ..and while he seemingly has improved since then (primarily based upon prospect 'projections', which as many long-time baseball fans have witnessed, could quickly change), I cannot rate him 'overall' any better than mediocre-to-possibly-ok at best.  He does seem to currently be enjoying some success.  If that continues, good for him and the Tigers ..and the Tiger fans.

Your mileage may vary.

1 hour ago, Shelton said:

I dunno. Ask tggggrfnn. 

You spoiled little children who cannot even spell a user name correctly are the least of my favorites for discussing baseball with. 

If that is the 'best' you can do  ..then you would probably be better off not even responded to or about me.

1 hour ago, Tigrrfan said:

It is my opinion.

As far as I am concerned ..since Al Avila became Tiger GM ..was absolutely horrible his first off-season ..and while he seemingly has improved since then (primarily based upon prospect 'projections', which as many long-time baseball fans have witnessed, could quickly change), I cannot rate him 'overall' any better than mediocre-to-possibly-ok at best.  He does seem to currently be enjoying some success.  If that continues, good for him and the Tigers ..and the Tiger fans.

Your mileage may vary.

It's my opinion that Zimmmermannn and Upton were thrust upon Avila.  He also saved the day when he talked Illitch out of signing Chris Davis.  Oh, that would have been fun this year.

9 hours ago, cruzer1 said:

It's my opinion that Zimmmermannn and Upton were thrust upon Avila.  He also saved the day when he talked Illitch out of signing Chris Davis.  Oh, that would have been fun this year.

That is a fair opinion.  I do not necessarily agree but I respect it. 

As for JUp and/or Zimm being 'forced upon' Avila ..well ..JUp was terrible, then very very good ..while Zimmerman was very good (for a month), then terrible.  Ultimately, Al traded JUp and retained Zimmerman. 

Moreover, Al Avila signed Casey McGehee, Bobby Parnell, Mike Aviles, Mike Pelfrey, and Mark Lowe ..the latter two of which he signed for 2 years each and then paid them both to not play for them in their 2nd years.

I wonder who 'leaked' the story that Al allegedly 'saved' Mike I from signing Chris Davis?  Was it Mike I or Al Avila ..or somebody else (Mrs Avila?) .. .. .. .. .. .. Just curious.

But alas, that was then and this is now.  Al Avila could be on the brink of rebuilding this team into a perennial playoff contender ..or into a prolonged loser.  Basically it all boils down into how well the current crop of young prospects progress.  I will take the 'wait & see' approach.

8 minutes ago, Mr. Bigglesworth said:

I do not buy the idea that a team has to first get to 0.500 before it competes for a play-off spot.

it's the talk show mentality where fans aren't allowed to discuss things too far in advance, as if what we discuss has any impact on what the players do.  Like the playoff scenarios.... "Don't talk about game 6 yet when we haven't won game 5.... back to the people"

1 hour ago, Mr. Bigglesworth said:

I do not buy the idea that a team has to first get to 0.500 before it competes for a play-off spot.

No, nothing is absolutely written in stone ..but it definitely is a reasonable and logical prerequisite to aim for.

The Braves won 72 games last year

Oakland won 75 last year

9 minutes ago, Mr. Bigglesworth said:

There are enough examples of teams going from sub 0.500 to play-offs that I am not sure how much of a prerequisite it is.

I think you are sure, because it’s not a pre-requisite at all. 

13 hours ago, cruzer1 said:

I don’t think Zimmermann was thrust upon him. I think Al wanted to use the luxury tax space to sign a legit starter to replace David price. I think he was probably ok with trying to win that way. 

I think upton was forced on him later when he was still out there. I think mike wanted Davis, and Al said no, and proposed upton as an alternative big money signing to satisfy the old man’s wishes. 

I think if he had it to do over again, he wouldn’t have signed pelfrey or Lowe if he knew he was going to be pressured into signing a big bat. 

I think he erred in going over the tax, which effectively forced him to trade JD in 2017. I think his plan was probably to stay below the tax so he would be able to hang on to JD and get the draft pick if it came to it. 

2 hours ago, pyrotigers said:

I remember hoping the Tigers would finally be over 500 back in 2006

And your hope was fulfilled.   

They could get over .500 in 2020 and then fall below it in 2021 and not get above it again until 2025.  Or they could be below .500 in 2020 and make the playoffs in 2021.