cruzer1

2019 Draft Pick Watch

9 hours ago, 84 Lives!!! said:

SR: Michael Fulmer, Matt Boyd, Matt Manning, Casey Mize, and take your choice of Funkhauser, Spencer Turnbull, Beau Burrows, or Franklin Perez. Whoever is ready the soonest, to push Zimmerman out of a job. Gonna be fiercely competitive in the starting rotation in about two years. 

BP: Joe Jimenez, Victor Alcantara, Zac Houston, Matt Hall, Zac Reninger, John Schreiber; Turnbull as a long-man, or maybe Funkhauser, if they lose out to Burrows or Perez. Or VerHagen as long-man if he lasts that long. Possibly Greg Soto but more likely Sandy Baez. Several others wanna throw their hat in the ring as well, but are more likely three years away, not two. Gonna be fiercely competitive in the bullpen in about two years. 

Jake Rogers, Miggy Cabrera, Isaac Paredes, Willi Castro, Jeimer Candelario, Victor Reyes, Christin Stewart, Daz Cameron, possibly Castellanos if he's still with us... Gonna be fiercely competitive in the infield in about two years. Maybe even next year. Our weakest link: power, especially in the OF (I think Stewart spends more time at DH than Miggy; although it shouldn't be that way... maybe he platoons in the OF?). Could use one more big bat. 

Lots of bench possibilities: Gerber, Robson, Jacoby Jones in the OF, along with Ron Rodriguez, Goodrum, Lugo, and a backup catcher (Greiner or otherwise). Sergio Alcantara if they want an IF-glove-first-backup.

Based on what is in the system now, I think we have a good chance to be average... When you factor a big power bat free agent signing and some stop gaps where needed, it's really not hard to see wildcard in 2020. It just depends how we look during the last quarter of the year next season, honestly. 

Maybe I'm too positive, though.

2 minutes ago, Mr. Bigglesworth said:

I'd be surprised if it is turned around in 2020, personally, but stranger things have happened.

I think that a somewhat-sustainable turnaround is much more likely with each year, but that 85 win team in 2020 only has to have a couple of things go wrong to be a 72 win team in 2021. 

3 minutes ago, Walewander said:

I think that a somewhat-sustainable turnaround is much more likely with each year, but that 85 win team in 2020 only has to have a couple of things go wrong to be a 72 win team in 2021. 

Quite a bit will depend upon how well Miggy hits ..when healthy. 

Because when healthy, ..you just know he's going to play every day.

I expect Miggy will be able to hit until 38 or 39.

The healthy portion of the equation is much more of a question mark for me, personally.

21 minutes ago, Mr. Bigglesworth said:

.The healthy portion of the equation is much more of a question mark for me, personally.

Me too. I think he showed that the skills are still there earlier this year. The power numbers didn't have time to catch up, but he's certainly got some life left in the bat if he's healthy. It would be really nice if Christin Stewart could hold down left field, so Miggy could move to DH. If that's going to happen, though, we need gods in center and right. Castellanos is not one. 

3 hours ago, Mr. Bigglesworth said:

I'd be surprised if it is turned around in 2020, personally, but stranger things have happened.

I am happy with the progress of their minor league talent this year, but I would also be surprised if they turned it around by 2020.  I think this re-build is going to require a lot of patience.  

47 minutes ago, bobrob2004 said:

http://www.tankathon.com/mlb

Tigers currently have the #4 pick and are one game "behind" the Padres for the #3 pick.  

With the difference just being that the Padres have played and lost two more games, the Tigers control their own destiny in the race for #3.

5 hours ago, Walewander said:

Me too. I think he showed that the skills are still there earlier this year. The power numbers didn't have time to catch up, but he's certainly got some life left in the bat if he's healthy. It would be really nice if Christin Stewart could hold down left field, so Miggy could move to DH. If that's going to happen, though, we need gods in center and right. Castellanos is not one. 

I don’t expect both castellanos and Stewart to both be in the tigers outfield in 2020. 

1 minute ago, Shelton said:

I don’t expect both castellanos and Stewart to both be in the tigers outfield in 2020. 

As entertaining as it would be?

if they hit on some really good position players in the 18-19-20 drafts, they might be an 80+ win team on the rise by 2022.

this is going to take some time.

it took the phillies five years to get to where they are now, an interesting team fighting for a wildcard.

the white sox are in year 3 and are 25 games under .500 but look to have a decent foundation of prospects.  but as we all know, they got a head start by trading all their stars for great prospect hauls (unlike us).

it took the astros 4 years.

it took the cubs 5 years.

it took the braves 4 years.

given the depths from where the tigers started from, i think were looking at 5 years before theyre back in the playoff mix.

You people need to drink a big cup of optimism.  

2020 - the Tigers are competing for a W/C or the AL Central.

16 minutes ago, Buddha said:

it took the phillies five years to get to where they are now, an interesting team fighting for a wildcard.

the white sox are in year 3 and are 25 games under .500 but look to have a decent foundation of prospects.  but as we all know, they got a head start by trading all their stars for great prospect hauls (unlike us).

it took the astros 4 years.

it took the cubs 5 years.

it took the braves 4 years.

given the depths from where the tigers started from, i think were looking at 5 years before theyre back in the playoff mix.

We are arguably in year 2 of the rebuild, though. And we did have 2015 which resulted in additions to the system and a high draft pick in 2016. And aside from spending money pre-2016, we didn’t act like a “buying” team then. 

21 minutes ago, LooseGoose said:

With the loaded Red Sox and loaded Yankees in the AL East, ..the still dangerous Indians in the AL Central along with the still improving Twins and the rapidly improving White Sox ..and the still strong Astros in the AL West along with the sneaky Mariners and the up&coming A's .. .. .. the Tigers will have a difficult haul to become legitimate playoff contenders before year 2023 or 2024.   

IMO ..looking at current rosters along with current farm systems ..the Tigers will need to vastly over-achieve to realize such a lofty goal as becoming legitimate playoff contenders within 4 to 5 years.  And indeed, as I become more familiar with this particular board ..still am not sure how knowledgeable about baseball some of the folks here truly are.  

It may be quite fun to fantasize about the Tigers improving faster than they most likely will ..but give me a realistic viewpoint and I am more inclined to take it seriously.  I will leave the far-fetched fantasizing to Al Avila and his overly (grossly) optimistic public-relation delusions.  A difference between paid-to-pretend Al Avila and some overly optimistic fans is that Al is getting paid a ton of money to speak out of both sides of his mouth at the same time ..whereas a few of the 'folks' just do it because they want to appear 'smarter' than someone else.

On the other hand, for those who like to kick at realism ..(and just for kicks) ..please try to comprehend that some people actually are optimistic when suggesting it will take until at least 2023 to 2024 before any realistic chance to become legitimate playoff contenders.

btw:  Why be content with merely 'playoff contention'?  Seems to be setting the 'bar' a bit low ..isn't it?

21 minutes ago, Tigrrfan said:

btw:  Why be content with merely 'playoff contention'?  Seems to be setting the 'bar' a bit low ..isn't it?

I made no comment on the subsequent seasons.   Playoff contention is the 1st step up the ladder, crawling before walking, etc, etc.

5 hours ago, tiger337 said:

I am happy with the progress of their minor league talent this year, but I would also be surprised if they turned it around by 2020.  I think this re-build is going to require a lot of patience.  

Amen brotha.

42 minutes ago, LooseGoose said:

I made no comment on the subsequent seasons.   Playoff contention is the 1st step up the ladder, crawling before walking, etc, etc.

Yes ..first step it is.  I typically steer from merely saying 'playoff contention' ..and instead typically say "legitimate playoff contenders".  Anything can happen in one fluke season ..whereas a very good to great team will stay a playoff contender for several years.  And that is what I want ..a great team with legitimate talent to win-it-all.

I don't understand the Al Avilia bashing. Hasn't he taken our farm system from one of the 5 worst to one of the 10 best in two years ?

1 hour ago, LooseGoose said:

Amen brother.

1 hour ago, socaltiger said:

I don't understand the Al Avilia bashing. Hasn't he taken our farm system from one of the 5 worst to one of the 10 best in two years ?

Too many shortstops tho

3 hours ago, LooseGoose said:

Too much optimism.

I think they'll be competitive and flirting with .500 in 2020, with the ability to get a few games above that. 

But...  .500 +/- ball is a long way from wildcard talk. The first thing is to get back to respectable. I think that happens in 2020, primarily centered around pitching. I don't think that will be that hard to do.

The next step(s) will be a lot harder...

2 hours ago, Tigrrfan said:

...please try to comprehend that some people actually are optimistic when suggesting it will take until at least 2023 to 2024 before any realistic chance to become legitimate playoff contenders...

That's no more realistic than koolaid.

The issue is NOT length of time. The issue is to have a competitive base of players: I say 2020

And then to make the RIGHT move(s) to become a playoff team. Teams can turn things around quickly (3-5 years, and as Shelton pointed out, we're already in year 2 of a rebuild), if the correct moves are made. The right FA. The right trade. The right draft pick. Or... if a Miggy Cabrera falls into our laps. 

We'll see if several of these pitching kids pan out. They do, and we quickly become a force in the A.L., through pitching. But we'll still need to round out the club to become a true playoff contender. That ain't koolaid. 

11 hours ago, Tigrrfan said:

...How good is Al Avila?  He has about 2 more years maximum to turn his GM 'legacy' around from mediocre to good.

Based on what?

Your opinion?

The only opinion that matters is CI's. Otherwise, you're just blowing hot air into the wind.