Jump to content

six-hopper

They are who Pythagoras thinks they are.

Recommended Posts

The baseball version of the Pythagorean Theorem says that the Tigers should be 53-78.  They are . . .  53-78.

Their season-to-date Winning Percentage of .405 translates to 65.6 Wins over 162 games.  But they have played only .364 ball since the All-Star Break and  have won at just a .304 clip in August, so hitting triple digits in losses looks like a pretty good bet.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

After spending quite a bit of the season above their Pythagorean Expectation, the Tigers are now right on it at 30-71.

How they got there:

March:  2-2

April:  11-12

May:  9-18

June:  5-20

July:  3-19

Every day in every way, they're not getting better and better.

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Pythagoras never quantified grit...the Greeks really didn't encounter it until well after his time...approx 145 BC when the Romans rolled into town.   The concept of Jordy Mercer was foreign to them.  The more we play Jordy..the further we will move off of the Pythagorean's projections

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Still blows my mind that this pythagorean thing works so well.

I know it's been modified somewhat but even at it's inception (which didn't have any adjustments, it was straight runs) for a quick and dirty analysis at being so close most of the time is remarkable.

Math in life.

My biggest regret is bailing on Calc II because things stopped coming to me so quickly.  I thought about that the other day when I was running.  I'm training for a half marathon.  I hate running. My wife loves it.  I took it up as a means to stay fit and something we can do together as a hobby.  The thing you learn from it with my attitude is you never really like it while you are doing it.  All I think about is "when can I stop?".  Each increase in milage is deemed impossible - until I do it.  But that's the point.  It's supposed to be hard and grueling.  That was my attitude with math when I got to the advanced stages.   After failing my very first Algebra class in 9th grade my teacher talked with me and something just clicked. From then on it was A's.  Even through calc I, I did pretty well.  Then it got very hard and I had to really think about things.  I guess I just gave up because I figured if I had to think about it so hard then it must not be my thing.  My professor tried to tell me but I was 19 and knew everything.  But I felt like i missed out on a large part of my brain's functional ability by giving up on it.

 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

As someone who didn't give up on it, I damaged a large part of my brain's functional ability by drinking, and encourage others to do likewise.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Oblong said:

Still blows my mind that this pythagorean thing works so well.

I know it's been modified somewhat but even at it's inception (which didn't have any adjustments, it was straight runs) for a quick and dirty analysis at being so close most of the time is remarkable.

Math in life.

My biggest regret is bailing on Calc II because things stopped coming to me so quickly.  I thought about that the other day when I was running.  I'm training for a half marathon.  I hate running. My wife loves it.  I took it up as a means to stay fit and something we can do together as a hobby.  The thing you learn from it with my attitude is you never really like it while you are doing it.  All I think about is "when can I stop?".  Each increase in milage is deemed impossible - until I do it.  But that's the point.  It's supposed to be hard and grueling.

 

Before he became a persona non-grata, I remember Lance Armstrong saying about training almost the same thing - that it never got easier - you just went faster. Ironically I think that is more true of running than biking, since *some* hard training definitely does at least make recreational riding easier.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
28 minutes ago, Gehringer_2 said:

Before he became a persona non-grata, I remember Lance Armstrong saying about training almost the same thing - that it never got easier - you just went faster. Ironically I think that is more true of running than biking, since *some* hard training definitely does at least make recreational riding easier.

I find with running that with practice:

- going long gets easier

- hills get easier

- trying to go fast does not get easier

-  adapting to severe weather does not get easier

By the way,  after driving the Gratiot Ave route last Monday and seeing how sketchy it gets from around 16th Mile onwards and knowing that's when I'd start feeling wobbly, I determined I'd feel too exposed to try to run from Sarnia/Port Huron to Detroit. But did get in 60k or running one day last week around my hometown county along the St. Clair River and to a lesser extent Lake Huron and it was one of the best running experiences of my life. Albeit one of my slowest as well.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I don't know how anyone can enjoy running long distances, or any kind of grueling exercise. I power through it only for the long term benefits it yields. But while I'm actually doing it, it's akin to hitting myself in the head with a hammer.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
25 minutes ago, chasfh said:

I don't know how anyone can enjoy running long distances, or any kind of grueling exercise. I power through it only for the long term benefits it yields. But while I'm actually doing it, it's akin to hitting myself in the head with a hammer.

I find running to be quite different from biking or swimming. The latter two don't beat me up as much and I feel fine when I get off the bike or out of the pool. There were a number of years when all the schedule and location issues aligned and I could swim an hour on my lunch hour -- that was about the best I've ever felt while doing any kind of regular workout.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Gehringer_2 said:

I find running to be quite different from biking or swimming. The latter two don't beat me up as much and I feel fine when I get off the bike or out of the pool. There were a number of years when all the schedule and location issues aligned and I could swim an hour on my lunch hour -- that was about the best I've ever felt while doing any kind of regular workout.

I like bicycling, too. It's my main cardio, and in the summer, it's fantastic to stop off at Ava's Italian Ice on the way home.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
34 minutes ago, chasfh said:

I don't know how anyone can enjoy running long distances, or any kind of grueling exercise. I power through it only for the long term benefits it yields. But while I'm actually doing it, it's akin to hitting myself in the head with a hammer.

You seeming to know just how that feels explains a lot.

 

😉

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, LooseGoose said:

You seeming to know just how that feels explains a lot.

 

😉

Old jokes are not your strong suit.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, chasfh said:

Old jokes are not your strong suit.

Is that an old joke?   I guess I missed that.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 hours ago, chasfh said:

I don't know how anyone can enjoy running long distances, or any kind of grueling exercise. I power through it only for the long term benefits it yields. But while I'm actually doing it, it's akin to hitting myself in the head with a hammer.

Some people enjoy the endorphins.

I enjoyed that it took my mind off of the day to day bull**** that is life.  It took a few months to get to that point, but once my body was conditioned for longer runs (not lordstanley long, but say a 1 hour run), I loved it because it helped recharge me emotionally / mentally.  When I ran, I found myself in a Zen like state, if that makes sense.

When I injured my knee, the worst part, by far was not being able to run anymore.  And my recovery and rehab was pretty arduous - something I wouldn't wish on my worst enemy.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Mr. Bigglesworth said:

Some people enjoy the endorphins

I understand that intellectually, I just can't imagine feeling that while running. It's darn hard work, and eventually it just hurts.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Doing anything prolonged relative to what you are conditioned for will, or eventually will, hurt.

But once you are conditioned for a given distance, I found it only hurt if I push myself to make further gains (speed or distance).  If you are fine maintaining your level and run as fast or slow as what feels comfortable within that distance, I didn't feel pain or strain during or after.

But that is me.  Maybe that is a physiological thing that makes me more suited for long distances than most.  FWIW I have 4 siblings that gravitated to long distance running at one point in time in their life or another, so maybe I got blessed with good genetics in that regards.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Never could run serious long-distance.  Could jog for miles without too much difficulty ..with about 7-mile maximum.

A mile was my maximum at full speed.  I used to run during teen years and into earlier 20's in military.  Could run sub 5-minute mile before graduation from high school and during boot camp in miliatary.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, lordstanley said:

I find with running that with practice:

- going long gets easier

- hills get easier

- trying to go fast does not get easier

-  adapting to severe weather does not get easier

By the way,  after driving the Gratiot Ave route last Monday and seeing how sketchy it gets from around 16th Mile onwards and knowing that's when I'd start feeling wobbly, I determined I'd feel too exposed to try to run from Sarnia/Port Huron to Detroit. But did get in 60k or running one day last week around my hometown county along the St. Clair River and to a lesser extent Lake Huron and it was one of the best running experiences of my life. Albeit one of my slowest as well.

You were in town?  Could have hooked you up on a run with my wife.  

When my wife does a half or full every photo I take of her she’s smiling.  

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, Oblong said:

You were in town?  Could have hooked you up on a run with my wife.  

When my wife does a half or full every photo I take of her she’s smiling.  

 

Thanks, I'm sure she could have shown me some spots around town I haven't run to. Next time for sure!

Didn't really spend much time in Detroit this time around. Grabbed an Egg McMuffin at Gratiot & 12 Mile Road, parked near the Fox Theater and walked over to the tigers in front of Comerica, then got back in the car and drove over to the PAL field and condos at Michigan & Trumbull and before turning around to end up on northbound 94. All before noon last Monday. Couldn't be bothered to come back for the Tuesday night Tigers-Phillies game. Can't remember the last time I didn't attend at least one Tigers game on my summer trip home.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Our running store does group runs every Saturday morning.  3,6,10 mile routes through the city. Keep that in mind next time and we’ll plan on doing it.  I do the 3 she does whatever. Then we get breakfast after. Some great people there 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, gmoney said:

I wonder what Socrates would think about the Tigers.

"Pheadras! Hurry up with that Hemlock!"

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


×
×
  • Create New...