Motor City Sonics

The Dress Rehearsal: Lions v. Bucs

15 hours ago, Motown Bombers said:

New England was 1-3 in the preseason last year.Their one win was against Detroit. 

I also seem to remember the New England defense was particularly bad the first few games of last season.

I don't care about the record, I care about how the team looks, and they aren't looking good.  I really, really hope it's just a matter of working on specific aspects of the game or not wanting to tip your hand or whatever, but the OL hasn't looked good at all.  The DL hasn't looked good at all.  The running game isn't working, and opposing offenses seem to be able to pick the defense apart with slant routes and TEs... those are all things that plagued the team last year and don't look to be improved upon this year.

I really really want to be wrong here.  I'm also not going to say Patricia's a failure if we lose a bunch of games (especially early) but I do hope that even if we're losing that we're showing improvement over the season and getting better.

10 hours ago, Jason_R said:

Offense did not look sharp, but still broke off almost as many 4+ yard runs as they had all last season. (Only a mild exaggeration.) I don’t think they gave KJ a carry until late 2nd quarter. And (for some unknown reason) they had Ragnow starting at RG rather than LG. 

I expect offense will come together quickly. But I worry the defense will take half a season to figure out the new scheme and put the team out of contention. 

i think the bigger problem is lack of talent and not scheme.

If this team does not make the playoffs this season is a fail.     It may seem harsh but they just missed the playoffs last year.  If you don't take a step forward it's a fail.  

10 hours ago, Buddha said:

i think the bigger problem is lack of talent and not scheme.

Yes and yes. 

But let’s not forget that Patricia is the guy who took Van Noy from a bust in Detroit to a key contributor in NE. 

He is asking the front seven to overhaul the way they approach their assignments. Everybody (except RJF) is playing a step slow. 

This will not be a top 5 defense (like the offense should be). If it can be a mediocre defense, with a top 5 offense, that will keep them alive.

But I don’t know if they can get it together fast enough to be a mediocre defense. 

All teams have weaknesses. The New England defense last year was not very talented. The Lions will just need to be able to run the ball more and use more clock and score points to mask the weakness on defense. 

2 hours ago, Motown Bombers said:

All teams have weaknesses. The New England defense last year was not very talented. The Lions will just need to be able to run the ball more and use more clock and score points to mask the weakness on defense. 

new england's defense last year was last in dvoa.  they were barely top 10 in dvoa a couple times with patricia, but that was before they traded away all their good player and lost wilfork.

new england's defense benefitted a lot from having a great offense and great field position.  other than that, they were bad.

2 hours ago, Jason_R said:

Yes and yes. 

But let’s not forget that Patricia is the guy who took Van Noy from a bust in Detroit to a key contributor in NE. 

He is asking the front seven to overhaul the way they approach their assignments. Everybody (except RJF) is playing a step slow. 

This will not be a top 5 defense (like the offense should be). If it can be a mediocre defense, with a top 5 offense, that will keep them alive.

But I don’t know if they can get it together fast enough to be a mediocre defense. 

van noy was bad in new england too.

as for detroit, they need some of these quinn draft picks to step up.  tabor, robinson, davis have all looked bad or average in preseason after looking bad last year.

5 minutes ago, Buddha said:

new england's defense last year was last in dvoa.  they were barely top 10 in dvoa a couple times with patricia, but that was before they traded away all their good player and lost wilfork.

new england's defense benefitted a lot from having a great offense and great field position.  other than that, they were bad.

That's basically the point I was making. New England had a bad defense but they didn't give up a lot of points. They used their other strengths to mask their defensive weakness. 

30 minutes ago, Buddha said:

as for detroit, they need some of these quinn draft picks to step up.  tabor, robinson, davis have all looked bad or average in preseason after looking bad last year.

Yeah, all are looking like situational players at best. 

1 hour ago, Motown Bombers said:

That's basically the point I was making. New England had a bad defense but they didn't give up a lot of points. They used their other strengths to mask their defensive weakness. 

Which is why I don't see why people think Patricia will somehow be able to mask Detroit's lack of talent with "scheme."  He didn't do it in NE, why would he be able to do it here?

If Detroit is going to win, it's because the offense is clicking.  I think they have the QB who is capable of doing it if they have fixed the offensive line.  If the line can be good, they can outscore people.

Because outscoring them is the only way they're going to win.  Their defense is likely going to be really bad.

43 minutes ago, Buddha said:

Which is why I don't see why people think Patricia will somehow be able to mask Detroit's lack of talent with "scheme."  He didn't do it in NE, why would he be able to do it here?

If Detroit is going to win, it's because the offense is clicking.  I think they have the QB who is capable of doing it if they have fixed the offensive line.  If the line can be good, they can outscore people.

Because outscoring them is the only way they're going to win.  Their defense is likely going to be really bad.

The Patriots defense was 5th in the NFL in PPG. As bad as they were, they didn't give up points. That's what people are expecting here. The Lions defense will give up yards but hopefully the scheme will keep them to FG instead of TD.The Lions should have a good offense and be able to run the ball and the clock. 

5 minutes ago, Motown Bombers said:

The Patriots defense was 5th in the NFL in PPG. As bad as they were, they didn't give up points. That's what people are expecting here. The Lions defense will give up yards but hopefully the scheme will keep them to FG instead of TD.The Lions should have a good offense and be able to run the ball and the clock. 

The hybrid defensive scheme is designed to let the coaching staff exploit matchups more effectively than they could in a more rigid 4-3 or 3-4. 

It depends on smart players (which we may not have) and experienced and well-coached players (which we do not have yet) who can execute their assignments. 

The Pats can be average in defense but stingy on points allowed because they execute in the red zone. They can be competitive in any style of game against any style of opponent because of their hybrid scheme. 

The lynchpin, of course, is Brady. Almost by himself he places pressure on other offenses to take chances in order to keep up. Stafford is not that good. Still, all the Lions need is about two extra points a game over last season in order to be an elite offensive team. 

3 minutes ago, Jason_R said:

The hybrid defensive scheme is designed to let the coaching staff exploit matchups more effectively than they could in a more rigid 4-3 or 3-4. 

It depends on smart players (which we may not have) and experienced and well-coached players (which we do not have yet) who can execute their assignments. 

The Pats can be average in defense but stingy on points allowed because they execute in the red zone. They can be competitive in any style of game against any style of opponent because of their hybrid scheme. 

The lynchpin, of course, is Brady. Almost by himself he places pressure on other offenses to take chances in order to keep up. Stafford is not that good. Still, all the Lions need is about two extra points a game over last season in order to be an elite offensive team. 

When you like at Brady and Stafford's numbers last year, they were very similar. I don't think there is much difference between Brady and Stafford. Big differences is that New England averaged about 5 PPG less than the Lions and of course weren't the worst rushing team in the NFL. 

On 8/25/2018 at 11:07 PM, Motor City Sonics said:

If this team does not make the playoffs this season is a fail.     It may seem harsh but they just missed the playoffs last year.  If you don't take a step forward it's a fail.  

I'm going to disagree on this.  I think given a new coach it's okay to regress record-wise IF we're seeing things like consistent improvement week-to-week and a serviceable running game.

It's also worth noting that last year one of the better teams in our division was missing their star QB, and another was starting a rookie QB.  This year, presumably Rodgers will be playing and Trabitsky (spelling?  Too lazy to look it up) will be slightly more seasoned.  Oh, and the Vikings which ran away with the division got a huge upgrade at QB as well, so our division will be tougher than last year.

I want to see a team that does the fundamentals well.  That doesn't shoot itself in the foot.  That can scheme according to their opposition, and to quote Gretchen Whitmer, a team that will "finally fix the d--- r"unning game.

If they do this but still miss the playoffs, or even drop more games than last year, I'm not going to call it a failure.

If Stafford gets injured and misses 6 or more games, they are not making the play-offs.

If they go 11-5 but miss the play-offs, I am not going to think they regressed.