Motor City Sonics

The Dress Rehearsal: Lions v. Bucs

5 minutes ago, NYLion said:

It's just preseason (I feel like I need to keep saying this to stay sane) but this looks like the same exact team as last season.  Can't run, can't pressure the passer, can't defend the pass in key situations, ill timed penalties, drives stalling once they cross the 30.  I have zero expectations this season but this is ugly football.

They have two penalties for 10 yards. 

Well that was some bad time management.   3 time-outs and let 20 secs run off and then get sacked.  

Not sure what’s going on out here 

3 minutes ago, T&P_Fan said:

They have two penalties for 10 yards. 

One of which came after a sack (2nd sack of the preseason lol).  Ill timed

Then they mismanage that entire sequence.  Ugly ugly stuff.  And LOLions right there.

1 minute ago, T&P_Fan said:

Well that was some bad time management.   3 time-outs and let 20 secs run off and then get sacked.  

Not sure what’s going on out here 

Stafford appeared uninterested in continuing.

Lol

That was Caldwell esque.  Timeout at the wrong time and then a 109 return for TD on the FG.  Thank god it’s preseason. 

Judging by all the late game comebacks under Caldwell, that doesn't seem very Caldwell esque. The Lions were usually very good at end of game and end of half situations under Caldwell. 

1 minute ago, Motown Bombers said:

Judging by all the late game comebacks under Caldwell, that doesn't seem very Caldwell esque. The Lions were usually very good at end of game and end of half situations under Caldwell. 

End of game.  Not end of half. 

1 minute ago, Motown Bombers said:

Only because Stafford had the freedom to fling the ball over the field.

2 minutes ago, Motown Bombers said:

Does he not still have that same freedom? 

The field conditions are poor and Stafford looks hobbled.  Point being that the Lions weren't good at the end of halves and games because of Caldwell, it was because of #9.

Just now, NYLion said:

The field conditions are poor and Stafford looks hobbled.  Point being that the Lions weren't good at the end of halves and games because of Caldwell, it was because of #9.

Everything good with the Lions is Stafford. Everything bad with the Lions was Caldwell.  Irregardless, the Lions rarely botched situations like that under Caldwell whether it was because of Stafford or not so it was not Caldwell esque. 

2 minutes ago, Motown Bombers said:

Everything good with the Lions is Stafford. Everything bad with the Lions was Caldwell.  Irregardless, the Lions rarely botched situations like that under Caldwell whether it was because of Stafford or not so it was not Caldwell esque. 

Yeah, pretty much.  Without Stafford, the Lions likely win 3-4 games last season.

New England was 1-3 in the preseason last year.Their one win was against Detroit. 

I also seem to remember the New England defense was particularly bad the first few games of last season.

4 minutes ago, Motown Bombers said:

New England was 1-3 in the preseason last year.Their one win was against Detroit. 

I also seem to remember the New England defense was particularly bad the first few games of last season.

Yeah, it seems like Patricia’s teams often improved over the season. And this year, all of the holdovers are learning a new and more complicated system. They are going to play slow until they understand it. I don’t recall seeing any blitzes either though that will be part of the arsenal during the season. 

Anyway, glad that didn’t happen during the season. 

9 hours ago, Motown Bombers said:

Cleveland Browns were 4-0 last year in preseason. Even recorded a shutout in the preseason. Defense averaged 7 PPG against. Went 0-16. 

Remember, the Lions did the exact same thing.

11 hours ago, Motor City Sonics said:

Our 3rd stringers look awesome. 

But honestly  Rudock > Cassell

Offense looked fine as long as it wasn't going against a #1 D-line. :dead:

I also feel they were trying to force the run. Once the regular season starts, they will balance the run and pass more. Just like defense, the offense is vanilla as well. 

Offense did not look sharp, but still broke off almost as many 4+ yard runs as they had all last season. (Only a mild exaggeration.) I don’t think they gave KJ a carry until late 2nd quarter. And (for some unknown reason) they had Ragnow starting at RG rather than LG. 

I expect offense will come together quickly. But I worry the defense will take half a season to figure out the new scheme and put the team out of contention. 

15 hours ago, T&P_Fan said:

Lol

That was Caldwell esque.  Timeout at the wrong time and then a 109 return for TD on the FG.  Thank god it’s preseason. 

The 109 return for a TD doesn't bother me at all.  I don't think that in a "real game" they would have tried the FG unless it was desperate (like the FG would win or tie the game and there was less than 60 seconds left).  There was no on the field except big, slow guys who's job it is to keep the kicker clean, not chase down a guy.