six-hopper

Nothing says Global Warming like the water temperature in Lake Michigan dropping 32 degrees.

53 minutes ago, Gehringer_2 said:

you assume the person is actually deciding independent of genetics. It often turns out that biology is more complex than we give it credit for on initial observation. You assume in your statement that gender is bound only by the physiological expression of reproductive organs. We are learning that 'gender' may entail a more complex set of genetic factors than only that.

How do you know what I assume?  Oh, wait.   Get your fingers off of my face, Mr. Spock!

2 hours ago, six-hopper said:

Isn't science the thing that used to think that you could tell a person's gender by his or her DNA -- or just by looking -- instead of waiting for the person to decide and declare what it is?  

Pretty sure science is complicated concept that cannot be boiled down into a "isn't that the thing that..." type of construct 

Nothing says Global Warming like Christmas temperatures for Mother's Day.

11 minutes ago, six-hopper said:

Nothing says Global Warming like Christmas temperatures for Mother's Day.

Excellent point. Temperature on Christmas day 2019 in Detroit was 54 when the average high is 34. Then, on December 26, Detroit broke it's record high when it recorded a temperature of 58. Flint also broke a record with a high of 61. Funny looking back at this thread I see nary a peep from you around Christmas.

BTW, the irony of the high temp of 54 is not lost on me.

• Thanks 2

13 minutes ago, Motown Bombers said:

BTW, the irony of the high temp of 54 is not lost on me

number scold

Car 54, Where Are You?" Change Your Partner (TV Episode 1961) - IMDb

climate and weather are not the same thing.

its going to be in the high 70s this weekend.  someone must have turned on the global warming again.

1 hour ago, Buddha said:

https://judithcurry.com/2020/05/14/greening-the-planet-and-slouching-towards-paris/amp/?__twitter_impression=true

two new studies postulate that there has been so much new tree growth that we may meet the paris accord co2 emissions targets after all!

good news, right?

Yes that would be nice news. It has been known pretty much forever that higher CO2 levels increased the rate of plant growth (heck, it was a lab in the intro bio class labs at UM 40yrs ago). But I would wait to see some knowledgeable counterpoint presented before getting too excited. There is at least one big caveat I can immediately postulate might exist - which is: What if out in the biosphere there are other physical or  metabolic constraints on leaf-level photosynthesis (for instance just as an example, what if woody plants hit their nutrient transport limits before they can take advantage of another 200ppm CO2 in the atmosphere to produce increased growth?. The other issue is just because biomass is produced does not mean carbon is permanently sequestered. Only a percentage of each years photosynthesis product sequesters carbon.  Biomass needs to either be buried or be in the form of long lived rot resistant products like standing wood to sequester carbon long term. A big part ofthe rest decomposes on the ground releasing the CO2 back to the atmosphere. Or what if you doubled the density of the world's forests and as a result lost an equivalent amount of wood to bigger forest fires every year.

Caution is a good idea when hypothesizing anything in a complex system will have a wide band of simple  linear response. Assuming plants will respond linearly across the range from 250 - 600 ppm CO2 is a big assumption - possibly why the IPCC hasn't made it.

there is a difference between weather and climate, and between individual events and larger trends.

2 minutes ago, Buddha said:

there is a difference between weather and climate, and between individual events and larger trends.

Got it.  Colder weather equals warmer climate.

Still, I don't understand why people are so worked up about the climate thing when we are facing the much greater existential threat of gluten.

Just now, six-hopper said:

Got it.  Colder weather equals warmer climate.

Still, I don't understand why people are so worked up about the climate thing when we are facing the much greater existential threat of gluten.

having the hottest day in recorded history this year doesnt mean the climate is getting warmer just like having one particularly cold day doesnt mean the world is getting colder.

i mean, you just cherry picked a cold day.  we had a 70 degree day in february here a couple years ago, i dont remember you saying anything then about the world obviously getting warmer.