six-hopper

Nothing says Global Warming like the water temperature in Lake Michigan dropping 32 degrees.

"Strong winds have caused cold water from the depths of Lake Michigan to be pulled up at the shoreline. The Ludington buoy’s water temperature dropped steadily from 73 to 41 degrees late Tuesday. Satellite pictures Wednesday morning show water temperatures in the 40s or 50s from Holland to Ludington to Frankfort. Aside from the dangerous waves and currents this morning, it’s another reason to stay out of the water today."

We went to Lake Michigan last night and couldn't believe how cold it was. We didn't go any further than our knees due to the red flags anyway but that water was amazingly cold. We were just there a few days ago and the water was really comfortable.

I know I mentioned this before a week or so ago somewhere else on here, but it seems like there have been an unusually higher amount of rain systems going due north or south through NW Ohio this spring summer than in the past.

3 hours ago, Mr. Bigglesworth said:

So water was moved from the bottom of the lake to the shoreline?

What does that have to do with global warming one way or the other?

yeah - I posted a link to a description in the other thread. The deeper Great Lakes usually 'turn over' twice a year but stay stratified the rest of the time -esp in the Summer. The big winds from last week's storms caused Lake MI to experience an out of season turn-over. If you scuba dive in one of the big lakes in mid summer, the thermocline down around maybe 50-70 feet can be so sharp that it creates a refracting surface you can see as you descend. A delT across it of 30F wouldn't be unusual.

I’ve been in the Midwest for 28 Halloween’s. I’m sure it’s snowed or at least been near freezing on 20 of them.

A bit like snow on or around Opening Day

Discussing global weather trends over single data points is like judging a baseball player because of what you see at a single game. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, Oblong said:

Discussing global weather trends over single data points is like judging a baseball player because of what you see at a single game. 

The @cruzer1 method!

I kid, I kid...

55 minutes ago, RandyMarsh said:

It baffles me how people don't know the difference between weather and climate.

I agree it should be baffling, but looking out over the state of play of the American public's attachment to objective fact in general, it is not.

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Oblong said:

Will Rhymes is good.

8 minutes ago, Mr. Bigglesworth said:

Will Rhymes is good.

What, is it August 22, 2010 already?

Based on that global temperature map, the North American people who get their climate information by looking out the window are validated.

Nothing says Global Warming like lows in the single digits and highs in the teens almost a week into March.