IdahoBert

MTS Baseball Forum Hall of Fame

15 minutes ago, Edman85 said:

Wow, just clicked here randomly and saw this. Flattered, but I am not worthy.

Bert believes in a very large Hall of Fame.  Besides, your peak performance was very solid.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, tiger337 said:

Bert believes in a very large Hall of Fame.  Besides, your peak performance was very solid.  

This is completely true. The criteria enumerated above casts a wide yet well-defined net outlining what is “worthy.”  Edman85 falls under #1 as well as the “temporal duration” caveat of #2. 

11 minutes ago, Mr. Bigglesworth said:

I miss Eric.

I regret that he lived in Missoula around 7 hours away for a few years and I never had the opportunity to drive over and meet him personally. But when he recently moved he sent me a huge box of philosophy books from his time at the University of Chicago. These are books of unparalleled importance. He’s a real standup guy. 

6 hours ago, IdahoBert said:

Criteria for membership in the MTS baseball Hall of Fame. I have only just now realized the underlying assumptions I’ve been using all along so here they are:

HINT,  I have not devised a calculus that attaches a numerical value to what you say and do which is then compared to the average of what others have said and done:

D5F8CF55-FBF1-410F-9D82-9F767C72DC4E.jpeg.caaa5222ee622eb7f9dc5cdb857f2a21.jpeg

1) Tangible contributions to the discursive, practical, synthetic, and analytic aspects of baseball relating to the Detroit Tigers, even if said contributions are occasionally over my head.

2) Occupying a place of distinction on this board and/or in its Origin Story — regardless of temporal duration or a necessary relation to #1 above — that would generally be acknowledged as significant or valuable to an astute observer unimpaired by rational, personal, or ethical deficits. (You do not have to be Spiderman, so it’s all right to be Aunt May).

3) Demonstrating a talent for entertaining others in a clever and intelligible manner that does not make the audience feel it has been taken for granted and which is edifying without conceding ground to sophistry, banality, or vulgarity. This is where I start grading on the curve.  

4) Doing game threads. All curve.

5) Are you dead?  If you are you are probably in.  

3E31B56C-5943-4EF8-9DBC-12A6E866E7AD.jpeg.c094ae65813298d1e0f56894b7f5083b.jpegI operate according to the “divine law“ of the family where you honor the dead. I do not operate by the impersonal, calculative assumptions of “civil law“ that discriminate between the worthy and the unworthy in these cases. I am Antigone, not Creon.

6) Do I like you enough or do you have qualities or serve a function that is equal to the task of requiring me to overcome my dislike of you even if you stood me up for dinner 12 years ago — unlike all others that followed through on their promises when I was in their cities — when I was 1,697.5 miles away from home and in your city and we had made plans to meet weeks before and I could see that you were on the board at that precise moment?

Fortunate for me that you formulated these criteria after inducting me. :ponder:

11 hours ago, Tigertown Rats said:

I mean, come on...

Capture.JPG

The only problem with the jacket is that they only go up to XXL on kiddy sizes which translates to a smedium for an adult.  But I'll make it work.

15 hours ago, IdahoBert said:

E80596DA-7F65-495A-A2A2-10D629D5385C.thumb.jpeg.6c24a1483b574bdcc1ab432a7c75dd9e.jpeg

Wolverinefan was 12 years old when she joined this site and is now 26.  At times we may have been condescendingly protective of her but hopefully this was taken, or is taken now, as a complement.  It is a rare and fortunate occurrence for someone so young to interact with adults with such grace and intelligence.  We have always looked upon you as a full and trusted contributor. Thank you for your contributions to this board. They do indeed extend beyond the mere fact of your age. You are an integral part of the history of this site and this recognition is well-deserved.  

This makes me feel old...:P

Thanks a ton though, Bert! I really appreciate it. I still read the site often even though weirdly enough, I don't have as much time to post as I did when I was a tweenager! :)

• Like 2

There’s a lot more to come.  Right now I’m setting the way back machine but we’ll get more contemporary before long. 

6 minutes ago, IdahoBert said:

9F1DBFF9-5DA4-4D48-B5CE-24EAC3641DE4.thumb.jpeg.373840651c2dd30dd3091baf1ca62418.jpeg

Honored.   This forum meant a ton to me back in the day and was a better source of Tiger news for a guy living out of state than the Tigers own website.   Loved hosting the collectors website for a year or two until it was morphed into the threads we have now.   I still collect Tiger team sets and have completed 1909 except for the 4 Cobbs, 1934 1935 and 1958-2017.  Working on 1957 now and will get 2018 after the Update series comes out.  

I came back because I got frustrated on Facebook trying to tell people that the 2017 Tigers were 10ish games under .500 at the trade deadline and weren't going anywhere.   I knew where I could find like-minded, well-reasoned Tiger fans that would at the very least respect each others opinions....so I'm back.   Also, every year around April 16th I change my FB profile pic to a VT logo.   The day that I realized I made my first online friends on this site and suddenly one was gone.

• Thanks 1

28 minutes ago, IdahoBert said:

9236E1AF-9A6B-4AC2-A2BC-6D8F0E96976C.thumb.jpeg.f58769564885f3c4c6b21f0f4beafaf8.jpeg

Oh most definitely.  We need to go find her and convince her to come back.  Her artwork was just astounding, and she had a tremendous sense of humour (yes, humour is spelled correctly unless you're Teddy Roosevelt).  As I recall she grew up in a science-oriented family and they had the periodic table printed on some every-day household item, perhaps the placemats for dinner.  Much later it occurred to me to ask her if they played Twister on a periodic table but by then it was too late, she was gone.  Somebody go find her and beg her to come back, in our hour of need she is the only one who can save us.

This project could take months. So dig in for the long-haul.  It will be the one thing other than the off-season thread probably. 

11 hours ago, Casimir said:

The only problem with the jacket is that they only go up to XXL on kiddy sizes which translates to a smedium for an adult.  But I'll make it work.

tenor.gif?itemid=3393021

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

31 minutes ago, Mr. Bigglesworth said:

Matt Joyce was my first (and only) AaT.

Because of my low post count back then I'd always end up with someone like the bullpen coach of the Mud Hens.

• Like 1

For the induction ceremonies and they bring out the past inductees I want to be introduced last.... both because it's less time sitting there and obviously the buildup with the audience as they will be wondering if I am going to show up.