IdahoBert

MTS Baseball Forum Hall of Fame

Let's not forget Billy Ringo.  I once made a comment about always wanting a pocket knife but my dad wouldn't let me have one. He had one and it's an eternal memory of him always pulling it out to do something.  Billy sent me a message asking for my address.  He sent over a bunch of pocket knives.  I still have them along with my dad's. 

Glad to have met him at the Whitecaps meet up.  I believe he passed a short time later...

• Like 3

I’m itching to post more than one of these a day, but I want everyone to get the 24 hours of fame they deserve.  More than they’d get from Andy Warhol. I really enjoy the reminiscences this thread is summoning. 

3 hours ago, tiger337 said:

I thought it was Microline

I thought it was a quality thread.

• Like 1

169E7034-A95F-490F-82AD-70826E522D0D.thumb.png.917900497cb6409ec6e4ed51b5a68a24.png

I got a question for you. What does Charles Liston know about posting, eh? What does a man that’s been to heck and back know about the better posts in life? I’ll tell you, more than most! You see, its the hottest fires that make the hardest steel, add hard work and conviction and the know how that runs generations deep in every single one of us as well. That’s his story, and that’s our story too. Now it’s probably not the one you’ve been reading about on other websites. The ones written by folks who have never even been here and don’t know what we’re all capable of. Because when it comes to posting, it’s as much about where it’s from as who it’s for. Now he’s from Canada, and not from New York City, or the Windy City, or Sin City. And he’s certainly not from the Emerald City.  He’s from Hamilton, Ontario; but his soul resides in the Motor City and posts are what he does. 

• Like 2

Now I can visit the hall as the worst exclusion to date has been rectified.

Now if we could just do something about Dick Allen....

Now, that Liston has made it, the rest of this thread will be anti-climatic.  

• Like 1

My high school girlfriend was originally from Hamilton. She would say “dee-Troy-it.”

I don’t miss her. 

6 minutes ago, Shelton said:

My high school girlfriend was originally from Hamilton. She would say “dee-Troy-it.”

I don’t miss her. 

I remember you corrected my pronunciation of street with a French name near Comerica.  

I learned how to pronounce Beubien properly by this local commercial.  I can't remember what it was but I just remember them playing it all the time in the 90s with them closing it by saying their address on Beubien street. 

8 minutes ago, Shelton said:

Beaubien

No, I would have know how to pronounce that.  It was Gratiot.  I think that is French.  Not sure.  

1 hour ago, tiger337 said:

Any further selections will be controversial.      Except Biggs.

2 hours ago, tiger337 said:

No way.  There’s so much drama come. Because I have promises to keep and miles to go before I sleep, and miles to go before I sleep. 

There are many heroes and not-exactly-heroes to be recognized. Living, passed, banned, and long inactive. 

Yeah I've only been here since the beginning of 2011 and even in that amount of time I noticed alot of great posters go inactive. 

Ok. I’m going to break my rule and post a second HoF honoree today. The one to whom we owe everything in ways too countless to mention. The man behind the curtain, the captain of this vessel that keeps it afloat because he wants to, not because he has to: Scoot!

D7BA3B99-F575-488C-B3BF-0209846CAE9D.thumb.jpeg.654c74737a8884d010b04fea5301fd80.jpeg

• Like 4

4 hours ago, RandyMarsh said:

I learned how to pronounce Beubien properly by this local commercial.  I can't remember what it was but I just remember them playing it all the time in the 90s with them closing it by saying their address on Beubien street. 

I *think* it was back in the day one of the local stations ran that series as local news ads. The point was supposed to be that they were all home grown and knew the local turf. One of them was  an announcer saying 'Gratiot' with  both 'T's hard. For some reason I always thought that was pretty funny. Or course even the locals don't agree on how to pronounce some Det streets. If you were to poll west siders on the pronunciation of 'Lahser'  I think you get a whole lot of 'lash' ers'.

5 hours ago, Shelton said:

I don’t miss her. 

It's tree to tree in the tird period.  Dee-troy-it has to step it up now, that's for sure.

• Like 2

I have commandeered this thread.  I think it is essential that IdahoBert himself be inducted into the Hall of Fame.  The artwork has been a highlight, as has been the quality of the literature that he has submitted.  Who else could quote Kant and Hegel during a game thread?  Who else could recite some Whitman during a discussion about prospects?  Who, I ask.  Well, no one else.

You will know that I did not do the artwork myself.  I have an internet friend, I only know him as Sergei, and I asked him if he could duplicate Bert's style if I gave him a sample.  As it turned out he didn't need it, he just went right into Bert's computer and got dozens of them.

BertHOF.PNG

• Like 4

I like how Sergei captured me at 33 instead of twice that age. Thank you so much! This is entirely unexpected. He made me look like Samson from the Bible which is perfect, because we both bring the house down. 

Thank you, thank you I’m at the Sands all week. 

9 hours ago, IdahoBert said:

Ok. I’m going to break my rule and post a second HoF honoree today. The one to whom we owe everything in ways too countless to mention. The man behind the curtain, the captain of this vessel that keeps it afloat because he wants to, not because he has to: Scoot!

D7BA3B99-F575-488C-B3BF-0209846CAE9D.thumb.jpeg.654c74737a8884d010b04fea5301fd80.jpeg

Star Theatre HOF also!

• Like 1