RedRamage

Giants Preseason game chat?

Didn't watch.  Score didn't look pretty.   Stats didn't look pretty.   But the Lions had more yards.    

But, I won't freak out much.   No way Patricia is showing much of his defensive schemes or trickery in the preseason.   But it's looking like they really really need to make a move for a Front 7 star.     I don't know why nobody wants Hankins, because he's really good, but the Lions really need to upgrade.   I don't think they could afford Khalil Mack.   

• Like 1

I know the last quarter of a pre-season game is garbage time, but Ruddock made 23/30 attempts for 171yds in 15 minutes tonight? jeepers.

EDIT: - OK. he played in the 2nd Q as well. That makes more sense.

recap: lions look bad.  but its only preseason.

I guess we can only hope that the problem with the O-line now is just lack of reps together, otherwise Lions' fan are screwed again.

glasgow has struggled.  joe dahl is almost unplayable.  wiggins/johnson have been bad.  i dont think lang has played much.  wagner has been ok.

ragnow looked pretty good, imo.

my biggest concern is decker.  he doesnt look good at all.  and thats bad news for your left tackle #1 pick.

The 0-16 Lions went 4-0 in the preseason. 

On 8/18/2018 at 9:34 PM, T&P_Fan said:

Stafford didn’t get hurt.  Successful 

Exactly.   That's really all that matters right now. 

Everything Patricia is doing is vanilla,  He's got his starting 14 on offense (I say 14 because of different sets and a RB tandem) and he knows who the main 16/17 guys on defense will be.    But it still looks like they'll need help on that front 7.    I don't know that the team has the money for Khalil Mack or Jonathan Hankins, but they need something there.  

I only caught a few snippets of the game and preseason really doesn't mean much of anything but two specific areas should be of real concern regardless if it's preseason or not.  Decker getting blown by several times looking like he has cement feet and Davis looking completely lost in coverage on one of the Giants TDs.  Those are two of the most important players on the roster that the Lions need to play a lot better if they have any hope of being in striking distance of a wild card and they looked like amateurs on those plays.

The Lions oline is like the Tigers bullpen, no matter how many resources they spend to try to improve it it always sucks. 

Utterly meaningless scrimmages that indicate absolutely zero about what to expect. It’s a waste of calories to even watch

On 8/18/2018 at 6:34 PM, T&P_Fan said:

Stafford didn’t get hurt.  Successful 

This is pretty much it.

All we can be sure of about the regular season once it starts:

▪    One key starter on O or D will go down for the season. Happens every year
    ▪    Another will be out for an extended period (probably Ziggy)
    ▪    And one more will be out for a couple of games (repeat every few games)

This is normal for most teams but the Leos have no depth

12 hours ago, number20 said:

This is pretty much it.

All we can be sure of about the regular season once it starts:

▪    One key starter on O or D will go down for the season. Happens every year
    ▪    Another will be out for an extended period (probably Ziggy)
    ▪    And one more will be out for a couple of games (repeat every few games)

This is normal for most teams but the Leos have no depth

Weird I think our depth is our strength

3 hours ago, Nastradamus said:

Weird I think our depth is our strength

Yeah, it's the 1st unit guys that are underwhelming particularly on defense but there is a decent amount of depth.

Just now, NYLion said:

Yeah, it's the 1st unit guys that are underwhelming.

right - which is why you don't care about preseason final scores but that doesn't mean that the drive to drive results are meaningless. Still, if Decker's health is OK I'm not ready to assume he's turned into a pumpkin.

i assume the defense they've been throwing out there has been pretty vanilla, so its not panic time yet.

the issue for me is that some of their key players dont seem to be getting any better: decker has looked awful (after not looking great last year either), davis still cant cover anyone, robinson has been so bad they left him in the entire 4th quarter of a preseason game.

i dont think they have depth on the oline.  they have a bunch of bad players backing up the starters.  to me thats not depth.  depth is when you have guys who can step in and do a job for a few games without being too horrible.  i dont think they have any of that on the oline.

the dline seems to have nothing but depth.  as in they have no one (except ansah some days) who can really be a difference maker.

they do have nice depth at rb, wr, and cb.

its all about the oline.  theyve spent tons of money and tons of draft capital to get to this moment.  they SHOULD be able to run the ball and protect stafford.  if not, you have to start to question quinn.

if they can do it, the lions should have a really good offense this year.