Tenacious D

Can Motown Sports survive the rebuild?

Posts seem to be on the decline (only 24 in a game thread?). Two horrible seasons in a row, with next season going to be even worse.  No prospects in the upper minors to get excited about.  If the rebuild takes 5 years, will the interest be sustained?  We’re all getting older—any signs that younger people are coming here to post?

on the plus side, the Zombie Apocalypse might happen which will be a nice distraction from the fact that we have a dearth of ready to play prospects.

I was driving home the whole time the game was on. If I had made my usual stream of consciousness posts there would’ve been at least 40 posts total.  It’s a day game too.  If by some miracle Miggy became 2/3 of what he used to be, things could really change.  This team was kind of fun this year before they learned how to suck. 

2 hours ago, Tenacious D said:

Posts seem to be on the decline (only 24 in a game thread?). Two horrible seasons in a row, with next season going to be even worse.  No prospects in the upper minors to get excited about.  If the rebuild takes 5 years, will the interest be sustained?  We’re all getting older—any signs that younger people are coming here to post?

on the plus side, the Zombie Apocalypse might happen which will be a nice distraction from the fact that we have a dearth of ready to play prospects.

Come on.  It was an afternoon game today.  Folks were at work.  Gimme a break on that.  

• Like 1

I think I'm still in the running for Rookie of the Year, but I'm going to need a strong finish.  

Here's an interesting fact: Jordan Zimmermann's ERA over his last 6 starts is 5.85.  The 6 starts before that, it was 1.22.  The 5 starts before that it was 7.91.  So, he has a bad stretch every 5-6 starts, so his next several starts should be good.  

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, bobrob2004 said:

I think I'm still in the running for Rookie of the Year, but I'm going to need a strong finish.  

Here's an interesting fact: Jordan Zimmermann's ERA over his last 6 starts is 5.85.  The 6 starts before that, it was 1.22.  The 5 starts before that it was 7.91.  So, he has a bad stretch every 5-6 starts, so his next several starts should be good.  

how does that match up with the cortisone injection schedule.

If @Oblong live tweets his date night at the Hens' game tomorrow, interest will be renewed.

Maybe I will do that...

Funny story.... one year Biggs as at a game and came up to meet me.  I had my wife with me at the game.  My seats are right the concourse so he just texted me saying he was out there.  I got up to leave and told my wife I was meeting someone from the website.

She twisted that around to "My husband left our date to go meet some dude he knows from the internet"

Sprinklers were not involved.

• Haha 1

8 hours ago, IdahoBert said:

If by some miracle Miggy became 2/3 of what he used to be, things could really change.

Unless something drastically changes within the Tiger organization's physical health and training departments ..Miggy will be lucky to play only 2/3rds of what he used to play (at best) ..and then (also at best) be 2/3rds the player he once was.  Basically then, that will provide the team approximately 45% of what Miggy used to provide over the course of a full season.  

But I agree with you in the sense that even 45% worth of the old Miggy is better than 78% of the current offensive players.

I'll be starting a new job in downtown Detroit pretty soon moving from Kalamazoo so I'll be more involved in going to games and such so that will perk my interests.

• Like 1

Well Henning believes that it will take 5 years to put a good offensive team out on the field. By that time, all of the young pitching will be near the end of their arbitration clocks or injured. If he thinks Avila will get 5 additional years, with no progress then good luck.

5 hours ago, Gehringer_2 said:

how does that match up with the cortisone injection schedule.

That's a very good question.  I'm sure it has something to do with it.  

18 minutes ago, kdog said:

Well Henning believes that it will take 5 years to put a good offensive team out on the field. By that time, all of the young pitching will be near the end of their arbitration clocks or injured. If he thinks Avila will get 5 additional years, with no progress then good luck.

Did he prattle on about how unfair the outfield dimensions are to the Tiger hitters?

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Oblong said:

Maybe I will do that...

Funny story.... one year Biggs as at a game and came up to meet me.  I had my wife with me at the game.  My seats are right the concourse so he just texted me saying he was out there.  I got up to leave and told my wife I was meeting someone from the website.

She twisted that around to "My wife left our date to go meet some dude he knows from the internet"

I think you have been keeping a big secret.

I don't buy that 5 year thing.  The reason for that he's already writing off the players in the system today by saying 5 years.  Take a Kody Clemens.  I am not saying he will be a good player - I don't know.... but if he progresses I don't see why he couldn't be on the team in late 2020 or 2021.  I'm just using him as an example.  A development crop of replacement level players along with some a little better is a good thing.  

You don't need a team of all stars.  You just need, in DD's words, 'quality players'.    Is Lynn saying we don't have them?

Maybe I don't know enough about the paths of players in the minors but I see it as anyone who's pretty good can advance faster than 5 years.  If a guy is doing well at AA then I expect them to be considered for an MLB callup at least the following season.  THey shouldn't need more than 2 of minor league seasoning after doing well in AA.

3 minutes ago, Casimir said:

Did he prattle on about how unfair the outfield dimensions are to the Tiger hitters?

No he said that player development is largely a fallacy. It's all about talent. So I'm still not sure how he expects fans to judge the progress of the rebuild.

I love Lynn.  I don't know why but I do.   But I treat his writings as the prattling of an old man.

Building on what Oblong says above - many of our good prospects in MiLB are 22ish.   If they're 5 years from MLB then they'll be 27?   If so, they're not really good prospects, they're role players.

I think we should be competitive in '20.   Or fire MWG.

I am guilty as anyone for not posting on this website nearly as much as I used to. A big part of that is the team being awful. Another big part of that is that there are fewer posts to respond to. Vicious circle that  

i think it is certainly a fair question to ask whether a message board like this can survive a rebuild. I guess there is always the politics board to drive page views. 

The site was a lot more useful in the previous lean years because there wasn’t twitter. These days if a younger fan wants to discuss the tigers they just post to social media. I don’t think I will ever be able to that. 

11 minutes ago, Shelton said:

I am guilty as anyone for not posting on this website nearly as much as I used to. A big part of that is the team being awful. Another big part of that is that there are fewer posts to respond to. Vicious circle that  

i think it is certainly a fair question to ask whether a message board like this can survive a rebuild. I guess there is always the politics board to drive page views. 

The site was a lot more useful in the previous lean years because there wasn’t twitter. These days if a younger fan wants to discuss the tigers they just post to social media. I don’t think I will ever be able to that. 

I dumped twitter about 4 months ago and my life improved.

Twitter is not good for having discussions about anything.  It is good for getting news about trades, roster transactions, etc.  I have not been posting as much this year, partly because I have been paying less attention to the Tigers than I usually do.  I do not find them interesting.  It will probably get more interesting next year when some of the better prospects start coming up.  

• Like 1

yeah I use it mainly for a newsfeed. 

and this time of year I really don't like it because a lot of the baseball people I follow begin discussing football and I really don't care.... 

3 hours ago, Oblong said:

Maybe I will do that...

She twisted that around to "My husband left our date to go meet some dude he knows from the internet"

But profanity was involved.

1 hour ago, Oblong said:

THey shouldn't need more than 2 of minor league seasoning after doing well in AA.

Or, alternately, if they need more than 2 seasons at that point, they quite unlikely to be a productive starter at the major league level.