Tenacious D

Can Motown Sports survive the rebuild?

Just now, Shelton said:

Lol, I know what 500 is, guys. That was just a bad reference to a thread from yesterday. 

That said, I played 500 with a football.

I wouldn't have been surprised because I'm not sure my son ever played it. His group did very little if any self-organized baseball that I can remember.

1 minute ago, Shelton said:

Yes, the values were called out, and they were arbitrary. Many throws were simply declared 500 later in the game. And it goes without saying that it needed to be caught in the air. 

we have a low curved parapet surrounding the backside of one the eng buildings and the kids play football 500 where everyone is standing on the wall. Needless to say a bunch of UM engineers aren't very good at it. Of course if they were the set-up wouldn't work!

3 minutes ago, Gehringer_2 said:

we have a low curved parapet surrounding the backside of one the eng buildings and the kids play football 500 where everyone is standing on the wall. Needless to say a bunch of UM engineers aren't very good at it. Of course if they were the set-up wouldn't work!

Which building?

I'd love a game of 500 right now (although we called it $5.00).

51 minutes ago, Gehringer_2 said:

NavalArch

Ah, I recall getting many parking tickets from the pay lot near there. Still pretty sure I came out ahead. 

5 hours ago, Gehringer_2 said:

Oh Shelton, how did you mis-spend your youth?

The game of 500 is played on half a diamond, or any rectangular field, one bat, one hitter, 5 or less fielders is best (and anyway if you have more than 8 you have a one field game....). The fielders spread out, the hitter hits away. Fly ball/line drive caught cleanly is 100, ground ball same is 50. Some kids play one hop is 75. First to 500 is the next batter. Sometimes the guy who gets to 500 catches the return throws for the hitter for a turn first and then hits, or vice versa, the finished hitter catches for the next hitter then goes to the field on the subsequent switch.

This is how we played it. Not calling out values in advance.

Kids should play more local teams until they are at least teenagers. I know parents of 10 year olds who devote 15 hours per week to hockey and only 3-4 of those hours may be on the ice. Travel to games 45-120 minutes away. And if the 15 hours includes just one practice and 2-3 games the kid may be on the ice for one hour of practice plus 1/3 of the 2-3 hours of games. So, say, 15 hours dedicated to 2 hours of ice time.

We played 21-up.  A fly ball was 7, a one-hop was 5, a grounder was 3, and dead ball was 1.  If 2 guys were tied at20 points they would run like heck to get a dead ball and body-checking was allowed on those.