Tenacious D

Can Motown Sports survive the rebuild?

6 minutes ago, Shelton said:

It’s one measure, sure, but it’s a better measure than ops, which overvalues slugging. It is his best season yet, but he’s also still quite young so I’m not worried that he is riding some unattainable career year wave or anything like that.

I agree with your second point. He’s not an elite hitter. 

So. speaking of OBA, how often do they (and for that matter who would 'they' be?)  adjust the weightings? Is it re-normalized every year, a trailing average of going x years back, or have they stayed with the weights calc'd in whatever year they set it up?

4 minutes ago, Gehringer_2 said:

Sure - also a possibility. His walks have trended up, of course that could be that he is nibbling more trying not to get hit.

Yeah, who knows. Shorter version is that he could throw harder in college and rely on the velocity to get outs, but that he can’t get away with that in the pros and they are working on developing other things at the expense of velocity. 

1 minute ago, Gehringer_2 said:

So. speaking of OBA, how often do they (and for that matter who would 'they' be?)  adjust the weightings? Is it re-normalized every year, a trailing average of going x years back, or have they stayed with the weights calc'd in whatever year they set it up?

Yeesh, I have no idea. I honestly just use it because it is the number that shows up on the fangraphs default dashboard, and that it is supposed to be better than ops because it doesn’t overvalue slugging relative to obp. 

21 minutes ago, Shelton said:

Yeesh, I have no idea. I honestly just use it because it is the number that shows up on the fangraphs default dashboard, and that it is supposed to be better than ops because it doesn’t overvalue slugging relative to obp. 

Not knocking it, just curious. Maybe Lee does?

1 hour ago, Tigrrfan said:

Thank you sir.  That is good to know .. helps me establish a baseline for his comments .. and adds immediate respectability to them.

Two people you don't disrespect on this website: Micro and @Charles Liston. You'll find yourself sleeping with the fish if you do. Especially with the latter. He's ruthless and his main henchman Biggs takes pleasure in such things.

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, Gehringer_2 said:

The weights change every year.  OPS is usually good enough, but players with a high OBP and low SLG will be undervalued by OPS which incorrectly gives the same weight to OBP and SLG.  

11 minutes ago, tiger337 said:

The weights change every year.  OPS is usually good enough, but players with a high OBP and low SLG will be undervalued by OPS which incorrectly gives the same weight to OBP and SLG.  

It would be interesting to try to analyze how team specific the actual value are. For instance I wold think a single slugger on a team full of high OPB low ISO players has to have more runs created value to that team than to another where the opposite is true. Of course this applies to slugging versus OBP no matter what stat they are aggregated in.

6 minutes ago, tiger337 said:

And within the context of slug, it weights a home run four times the value of a single, two times a double, etc.

like you said, it’s a fine shorthand, especially if that is what you have available. 

It’s also just nice because it is so easy to calculate from a slash line, and because you know generally what a 800 ops guy is like and what a 700 ops guy is like, mostly due to how often ops has been used over the past 15 years.  

45 minutes ago, Biff Mayhem said:

Two people you don't disrespect on this website: Micro and @Charles Liston. You'll find yourself sleeping with the fish if you do.

These fish?:

latest?cb=20170820142625

26 minutes ago, Tigrrfan said:

These fish?:

latest?cb=20170820142625

Picture Biggs in a mermaid costume and you're getting close.

3 hours ago, Mr. Bigglesworth said:

Yummy.

Unrelated I just purchased a new sprinkler and a slip 'n slide.

So do those things attract mermaids as pictured above?

42 minutes ago, LooseGoose said:

So do those things attract mermaids as pictured above?

probably have better luck with these

image.png.623627c8ef6eceb8e68ad50f304be3e3.png

How much of this is just a baseball problem rather than a Tigers problem? I don't follow MLB outside of the Tigers these days. Baseball spent years not appealing to the younger generation, doesn't promote its stars, costs a lot to follow + watch. Ratings and attendance reflect a problem that is beyond MTS and the Tigers.

Baseball costs very little to follow and watch. I also don’t think it’s any less appealing to young people relative to 20 years ago. I don’t really have any facts to back that up though. 

5 minutes ago, Shelton said:

Baseball costs very little to follow and watch. I also don’t think it’s any less appealing to young people relative to 20 years ago. I don’t really have any facts to back that up though. 

Baseball does not cost very little to watch in person in most markets. Ticket and parking prices aren't particularly cheap across the sport, at least in my experience. I've only been to eight or so ballparks though.

24 minutes ago, Shelton said:

IDK, neither of my adult children are baseball fans, even though both played baseball to some degree or other. In fact they aren't much in the way of sports fans period other than that my son is still a big UM football fan - going back to his undergrad there, but that is about it.

None of my kids is a baseball fan.   1 son watches the NFL, my son in law is an overall sports fan.   

My son is not a baseball fan. I wonder if I am, to some degree, to blame. He played an awful lot when he was younger and at @15 years of age told me he no longer cared to play. He had played summer and fall for several years. I think I may have been too involved through coaching and pushing him to practice so often.

There is a point in the movie, Field of Dreams, when Costner’s character says that his dad pretty much burned him out on the game when he was younger. I think of that scene (the ride home) from time to time.

2 hours ago, FloridaTigers said:

Baseball does not cost very little to watch in person in most markets. Ticket and parking prices aren't particularly cheap across the sport, at least in my experience. I've only been to eight or so ballparks though.

You don’t have to go in person to follow the game. It’s no different than other sports from a cost standpoint. In fact, it’s probably cheaper than most other sports, no? At least the “get in” price, right? You can get a ticket to the tigers for like 5 bucks. 

Minor league ball is the ticket.

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, 1776 said:

Minor league ball is the ticket.

I agree.  I would rather watch MLB on TV.  

My 17 year old will go to games with me but never watches on his own.  I’m not even sure how much he understands.  He’s a huge football and basketball fan.  He already knows as much of that history that I do of baseball.  

4 hours ago, Gehringer_2 said:

IDK, neither of my adult children are baseball fans, even though both played baseball to some degree or other. In fact they aren't much in the way of sports fans period other than that my son is still a big UM football fan - going back to his undergrad there, but that is about it.

I have 3 sons in their 30's.  The younger 2 do not follow pro sports at all - they all played football from the ages of 10 to 14.  They went to "hockey school" at the age of 6 but didn't want to go back for the second year.  All 3 of them played T-Ball when they were under 10, which really totally sucked.  The oldest one is sort of aware of the Blue Jays and the Tiger-Cats (Hamilton's CFL team) but only vaguely.

The biggest mistake that the CFL has made is to shut out entire generations of fans by (a) blacking out home games that were not sold out and (b) selling exclusively to cable, so that households who have ripped out the cable (like mine) will never watch another CFL game and won't miss it when it's gone.

13 hours ago, 1776 said:

My son is not a baseball fan. I wonder if I am, to some degree, to blame. He played an awful lot when he was younger and at @15 years of age told me he no longer cared to play. He had played summer and fall for several years. I think I may have been too involved through coaching and pushing him to practice so often.

There is a point in the movie, Field of Dreams, when Costner’s character says that his dad pretty much burned him out on the game when he was younger. I think of that scene (the ride home) from time to time.

I have heard this many times.  Same happened with my nephew who was a good athlete, but just decided to stop playing baseball, basketball etc.  I think I am going to try and loosen up on my sons.  One is 4 and the other just turned 1.  The 4 year old has already had 2 seasons of t ball.  I think I am going to give that all up for now until he gets a little older and see what he wants to do.