Jump to content

Tenacious D

Can Motown Sports survive the rebuild?

Recommended Posts

2 hours ago, Oblong said:

I don't buy that 5 year thing.  The reason for that he's already writing off the players in the system today by saying 5 years.  Take a Kody Clemens.  I am not saying he will be a good player - I don't know.... but if he progresses I don't see why he couldn't be on the team in late 2020 or 2021.  I'm just using him as an example.  A development crop of replacement level players along with some a little better is a good thing.  

You don't need a team of all stars.  You just need, in DD's words, 'quality players'.    Is Lynn saying we don't have them?

Maybe I don't know enough about the paths of players in the minors but I see it as anyone who's pretty good can advance faster than 5 years.  If a guy is doing well at AA then I expect them to be considered for an MLB callup at least the following season.  THey shouldn't need more than 2 of minor league seasoning after doing well in AA.

 

People seem to be operating under the assumption that somehow you only have between when your first good player arrives to the when he hits FA as your total window, but that is silly. Teams do sign players to new contracts. Det is not Oakland or KC where they have to let every post arb player walk.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Gehringer_2 said:

People seem to be operating under the assumption that somehow you only have between when your first good player arrives to the when he hits FA as your total window, but that is silly. Teams do sign players to new contracts. Det is not Oakland or KC where they have to let every post arb player walk.

Yeah, we're gonna want a mix of guys with years of big league experience and guys on their rookie contracts. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, TigerNation said:

Yeah, we're gonna want a mix of guys with years of big league experience and guys on their rookie contracts. 

Are we still talking about MTS here?  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 minutes ago, tiger337 said:

Are we still talking about MTS here?  

Is there a difference?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Which one of us is Victor?

Eric Cioe was like Verlander and got the **** out....

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Oblong said:

yeah I use it mainly for a newsfeed. 

and this time of year I really don't like it because a lot of the baseball people I follow begin discussing football and I really don't care.... 

I have used it for nothing other than a newsfeed ever.  Virtually no “tweets” from me.  Well maybe six.   When I get a notification that someone new is “following me” I shake my head and assume that they are some kind of loser with nothing better to do or a loser that wants attention.  If they’re not an interesting news feed they won’t get any attention. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Nobody can predict with certainty how long a rebuild is going to take or how long it's going to take to have a good offense.  Things change fast in baseball.  When you got over a hundred guys in your system all it takes is a couple of them to break out for your fortunes to change drastically. 

Or basically every year there are multiple players that can be had for cheap go out and have career years.    Not to mention all the transactions and trades you can make to improve your team and the fact that it's not illegal to you know actually sign free agents to improve your team.  

**** just look at the landscape of the league 3 years ago and you can see how much things can change in a short amount of time.   The Royals were in the midst of back to back World Series runs with a young core and now they are one ofthe worst team in the league.  The worst team in the league, the Orioles were coming off an ALCS appearance and about to make the playoffs again.  The bottom line is that it could be 3 years before we are good again or it could be 10, nobody really knows and to act otherwise is ridiculous. 

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 minutes ago, IdahoBert said:

I have used it for nothing other than a newsfeed ever.  Virtually no “tweets” from me.  Well maybe six.   When I get a notification that someone new is “following me” I shake my head and assume that they are some kind of loser with nothing better to do or a loser that wants attention.  If they’re not an interesting news feed they won’t get any attention. 

Where's my six tweets?

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, tiger337 said:

Twitter is not good for having discussions about anything.  It is good for getting news about trades, roster transactions, etc.  I have not been posting as much this year, partly because I have been paying less attention to the Tigers than I usually do.  I do not find them interesting.  It will probably get more interesting next year when some of the better prospects start coming up.  

I use twitter as a news source. I used to use this site as a news source for the tigers. It used to be that if I heard about something tigers related, there would already be a post here about it. People don’t tend to post like that here anymore. 

But my point is that a lot of the people that would be coming here to make a quick comment or read a quick comment don’t do that as much because twitter serves that need for many, especially younger fans. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Oblong said:

Which one of us is Victor?

Eric Cioe was like Verlander and got the **** out....

Speaking of Eric, I texted with him a couple weeks back and he has moved to Florida for a couple years with his wife and kid for his wife’s job. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I think a lot of people go on twitter hoping that their tweets go viral or they will get a response from someone famous or a retweet from Lynn Henning.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Twitter is good for breaking news but I still really care what people here have to say about it. I love celebrating with you all. One of my favorite things is everyone posting celebration GIFs etc when the tigers close out a big game in a pennant race. It’ll come back. This silly team will once again win important games and MTS in some form or another will be there.

problem is simple. We just don’t win. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, tiger337 said:

I think a lot of people go on twitter hoping that their tweets go viral or they will get a response from someone famous or a retweet from Lynn Henning.  

In the last two days I’ve had tweets liked by General Washington and Richard Nixon 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Don't worry about MTS.  After the nuclear winter the only survivors will be some cockroaches, some Twinkies, and MTS.  When the team is crap this board is more fun in the off-season.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 hours ago, RandyMarsh said:

Nobody can predict with certainty how long a rebuild is going to take or how long it's going to take to have a good offense.  Things change fast in baseball.  When you got over a hundred guys in your system all it takes is a couple of them to break out for your fortunes to change drastically. 

Or basically every year there are multiple players that can be had for cheap go out and have career years.    Not to mention all the transactions and trades you can make to improve your team and the fact that it's not illegal to you know actually sign free agents to improve your team.  

**** just look at the landscape of the league 3 years ago and you can see how much things can change in a short amount of time.   The Royals were in the midst of back to back World Series runs with a young core and now they are one ofthe worst team in the league.  The worst team in the league, the Orioles were coming off an ALCS appearance and about to make the playoffs again.  The bottom line is that it could be 3 years before we are good again or it could be 10, nobody really knows and to act otherwise is ridiculous. 

Agreed 100%....which is why I believe that rebuilding as a strategy is committing to losing in the hope (typically unfulfilled) that the team will catch lightning in a bottle with player drafting/development, which basically nobody does reliably well, except the Cardinals and maybe Epstein.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
21 hours ago, Gehringer_2 said:

People seem to be operating under the assumption that somehow you only have between when your first good player arrives to the when he hits FA as your total window, but that is silly. Teams do sign players to new contracts. Det is not Oakland or KC where they have to let every post arb player walk.

Just the perennial Cy Young Award winners and the Triple Crown contenders.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 hours ago, Oblong said:

In the last two days I’ve had tweets liked by General Washington and Richard Nixon 

I hate to bust your bubble but that wasnt really them. 

  • Confused 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, Biff Mayhem said:

I hate to bust your bubble but that wasnt really them. 

"You can't trust everything that you read on the internet".   - Abraham Lincoln

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, six-hopper said:

Just the perennial Cy Young Award winners and the Triple Crown contenders.

They didn't let those guys go because of money though atleast not JV and JD.  You can argue Max but they still offered him a huge contract and that was despite having a bunch of bloated contracts on the team.  In the case of JV and JD they let them go because it didn't make fiscal sense to keep them.   Even with them we weren't going to be better than the Indians.   If we were an 85 win team last year there is no doubt in my mind they would've kept Verlander and atleast tried to sign JD.  They might not have matched Boston's offer but if they didn't they would have went out and signed somebody else that could've helped the team.  

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

"It didn't make fiscal sense to keep them" sounds like it was because of money.  And they didn't offer Max Scherzer a "huge" contract, at least not by current standards.  With other top pitchers getting north of 30 million a year, the Tigers offered Scherzer $24 million a year, and a six-year total of $144 million.  That was nowhere near his market value, although it was reported that he agreed to take the 24 mil if the Tigers added a seventh year, which they refused to do.

And, of course, he did get his seven-year deal, for $210 million, and even with much of the money deferred and a discounting of the deferred money to present value, he wound up with a lot more than the Tigers offered.

Still, we did get the consolation prize of Jordan Zimmermann.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, six-hopper said:

"It didn't make fiscal sense to keep them" sounds like it was because of money.  And they didn't offer Max Scherzer a "huge" contract, at least not by current standards.  With other top pitchers getting north of 30 million a year, the Tigers offered Scherzer $24 million a year, and a six-year total of $144 million.  That was nowhere near his market value, although it was reported that he agreed to take the 24 mil if the Tigers added a seventh year, which they refused to do.

And, of course, he did get his seven-year deal, for $210 million, and even with much of the money deferred and a discounting of the deferred money to present value, he wound up with a lot more than the Tigers offered.

Still, we did get the consolation prize of Jordan Zimmermann.

Not making fiscal sense and not being able to afford guys is two different things.   The Tigers started 2017 with all of those guys so it showed they could afford them, if they couldn't they would have traded them that offseason.  

And you proved my point with them signing Zimmermann.  Yeah he sucks but atleast they went out and spent 125 million on him.  Teams like KC or Oakland wouldn't do that, that was the point the G2 was making.   

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It's silly to argue with someone that wants to make all their trade/FA moves in arrears.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, LooseGoose said:

It's silly to argue with someone that wants to make all their trade/FA moves in arrears.

If no one argues with me, what am I supposed to do all weekend?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×