Deleterious

2018 college football thread

Yikes.  

The inside story of a toxic culture at Maryland football

Over the past several weeks, two current Maryland players, multiple people close to the football program, and former players and football staffers spoke to ESPN about the culture under Durkin, particularly strength and conditioning coach Rick Court, who was one of Durkin's first hires at Maryland in 2015. Among what they shared about the program:

• There is a coaching environment based on fear and intimidation. In one example, a player holding a meal while in a meeting had the meal slapped out of his hands in front of the team. At other times, small weights and other objects were thrown in the direction of players when Court was angry.

• The belittling, humiliation and embarrassment of players is common. In one example, a player whom coaches wanted to lose weight was forced to eat candy bars as he was made to watch teammates working out.

• Extreme verbal abuse of players occurs often. Players are routinely the targets of obscenity-laced epithets meant to mock their masculinity when they are unable to complete a workout or weight lift, for example. One player was belittled verbally after passing out during a drill.

• Coaches have endorsed unhealthy eating habits and used food punitively; for example, a player said he was forced to overeat or eat to the point of vomiting.

1 hour ago, Deleterious said:

why the eff aren't the police investigating this death? If the reports here are true, it certainly sounds like a criminal charge similar to reckless endangerment (a 5yr felony in Maryland) could be appropriate. More people who preach responsibility not likely to be required to accept any.

The Big Ten East is not having a very stellar few seasons off of the grid.

38 minutes ago, Deleterious said:

Court was as well. About time.

Sad world we live in when 'media reports' causes rapid action but an actual death in the program does not. I guess a death only matters if ESPN happens to decide to write about it.

It just further illustrates institutions care more about the image and revenue athletics generate than the athletes themselves.

Count that reason #92,230 why I will never, *ever*, ****EVER**** begrudge any athlete choosing to leave school early, or foregoing college altogether, independent of the reason.

And I write that as someone who looks on his years at university as the best and most exciting time of his life, as someone who received an athletic scholarship, and as someone who considers competing the most delicious cherry on top of the sundae that was my college experience.

And I do not doubt for a minute that the toxic environment described above exists at a number of places.

There are no shortage of ruthless ***hats running programs who think that is the way to coach and get results.

It sounds very similar to what those former players said about urban Meyer last month. 

7 hours ago, Mr. Bigglesworth said:

And I do not doubt for a minute that the toxic environment described above exists at a number of places.

There are no shortage of ruthless ***hats running programs who think that is the way to coach and get results.

Except Vanderbilt.

8 hours ago, Mr. Bigglesworth said:

the thing is, it can't possibly even be productive. There may a mental toughness aspect to training, and a discipline to working past pain, but it is absolutely false that over extending the body makes it get stronger or stronger faster. Every time you drive an athlete to total aerobic depletion (eg "bonk') or inflammation or especially to near heat prostration, you are deficiting his physiology for a number of days - period. The old line about what doesn't kill you makes you stronger is romantic but it's biological poppycock.

On 8/12/2018 at 10:53 PM, Gehringer_2 said:

the thing is, it can't possibly even be productive. There may a mental toughness aspect to training, and a discipline to working past pain, but it is absolutely false that over extending the body makes it get stronger or stronger faster. Every time you drive an athlete to total aerobic depletion (eg "bonk') or inflammation or especially to near heat prostration, you are deficiting his physiology for a number of days - period. The old line about what doesn't kill you makes you stronger is romantic but it's biological poppycock.

A local speed and strength coach (also used to coach DL for a high school powerhouse) once told me he detests other coaches who pride themselves on driving guys until they puke.  This is a guy who has trained his fair share of NFL and MLB players on their way up, who was groomed by a someone in the industry.   It seems there is no question that driving athletes to extreme exhaustion is a bad method, and here in FL they kill a kid seemingly every summer at a HS program.

I understand the merits of this method for SEALs when they go through BUDS, as these guys are being programmed psychologically more than anything.  However, a modern football coach must be aware that the world we live in has changed and they must evolve to stay employed.  Even successful HS coaches are as much CEOs as they are actual coaches.  Knowing what will destroy their careers and bring problems into their programs is more important as knowing how to beat a Cover 2 or pushing kid who to bench press 225 two more times.