kdog

Fiers traded to Oakland for 2 PTBNL or cash

24 minutes ago, diaspora04 said:

Metaphor, I believe.

That’s why you are jack Wilson. 

We haven't been good since Don Kelly was here, coincidence?  I think not.  

1 minute ago, RandyMarsh said:

Don Kelly would be a top three player on this team if he were still playing.

24 minutes ago, Gehringer_2 said:

Don Kelly would be a top three player on this team if he were still playing.

Don Kelly would be top 3 on any team he plays on

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Mr. Bigglesworth said:

Marco Estrada barely played for his high school team, FWIW.

I barely played on my pony league team.

thanks coach... I had no idea these guys were very good

12 hours ago, Chili Mac Davis said:

Darrold Knowles?

He was one of my first baseball cards.  When I first saw it, I thought it was Kuhnoles.  Also, Bobby Kuhnoop

• Like 1

17 hours ago, RandyMarsh said:

Is the Don Kelly listed as a Major League Scout on official Tigers.mlb site ...the same as our legendary Don Kelly?

https://www.mlb.com/tigers/team/front-office 

<scroll down> in the link

Fiers does not get the win last night, but he out-pitched Kershaw, was perfect through 4, got 8 Ks, and the A's won. 

• Like 1

We now know the first one—Nolan Blackwood. Underwhelming. Let’s hope the second player is a good one.

1 hour ago, Tenacious D said:

We now know the first one—Nolan Blackwood. Underwhelming. Let’s hope the second player is a good one.

Gotta be better than this one....right?

6 minutes ago, Tim Mitchell said:

Gotta be better than this one....right?

doesn't sound like it

Scouting grades: Fastball: 55 | Slider: 50 | Changeup: 45 | Control: 50 | Overall: 45

Most sidearm and submarine pitchers rely heavily on their deception to help improve what usually is below-average stuff. That's not the case with Blackwood, a wiry, 6-foot-5 right-handed sidearmer whom the A's drafted in the 14th round last in 2016 after three seasons of closing games at Memphis. He became the first player from the 2016 Draft class to reach a full-season level, moving up to Class A Beloit from Short Season Vermont roughly a month into his career, and then served as Class A Advanced Stockton's closer for all of '17 before an impressive showing in the Arizona Fall League.

Blackwood's velocity is atypical compared to hurlers with a similar arm slot, as he'll sit at 91-93 mph with heavy sink that results in extreme ground-ball contact but few whiffs. He pairs it with an average breaking ball as well as a changeup, both of which play up on account of his tremendous deception, although he'll need to develop the latter in order to be successful against lefties. He does an excellent job of keeping the ball in the park and enters 2018 having allowed just three home runs in 83 1/3 career innings.

With an ideal fastball-breaking ball combo that helped him limit right-handed hitters to a .167 average in the California League, Blackwood could be a fast riser through the Minor Leagues.

30 for MLB; 21 for Fangraphs

21. Nolan Blackwood, RHP

Drafted: 14th Round, 2016 from Memphis
Age 22 Height 6’5 Weight 185 Bat/Throw R/R
Tool Grades (Present/Future)
Fastball Slider Changeup Command
50/50 45/45 50/55 45/50

Blackwood doesn’t have huge stuff, but the discomfort caused by his submarine delivery and his command of a sinking fastball are enough for him to get through an inning and some change. It sits only 90-92, but the fastball is heavy and Blackwood’s command is crisp enough — and his delivery disorienting enough — to keep hitters from squaring it up. Nearly 70% of balls in play against Blackwood last year were on the ground. He also has an above-average changeup and below-average slider, but mostly Blackwood utilizes his fastball to get outs. He projects to do so in a middle-relief role.

I'm good with Blackwood. 62.5 ground ball rate is outstanding.

John Schreiber, another side armer, will be his teammate at Erie,  but Schreiber does not have the extreme ground ball % that Blackwood has.