kdog

Fiers traded to Oakland for 2 PTBNL or cash

Can we trade Jacob Turner for Anibal Sanchez again?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

34 minutes ago, Casimir said:

Folks complain about Avila's eye for talent.  But don't cross his path in a game of chicken with a deadline.  He ain't flinchin'.

Because he's asleep...

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, RedRamage said:

Oy, I do NOT like the sound of this.  Hope that I'm wrong.

Don't worry, Al Avila will come out of his negotiation with Billy Beane wearing a very nice barrel.  If he dealt with Theo Epstein, he'd come back naked.

A's have a whole lot of guys at different stages recovering from TJ; no idea how they factor into the list.

5 minutes ago, six-hopper said:

If he dealt with Theo Epstein, he'd come back naked.

They have had 1 trade; who won that one again?

Avila quote from the News:

"It's good for Fiers," general manager Al Avila said. "And we’re going to end up with a couple of guys who could help us down the road. If we didn’t think so, we wouldn’t have done the deal.

"At the end of the day, he nicely served his purpose for us in 2018, and then we were able to make a decent trade, and everything worked out as it should have."

Sounds like he thinks we're getting players not taking the cash.

7 minutes ago, RatkoVarda said:

They have had 1 trade; who won that one again?

Blind GM Syndrome.

36 minutes ago, RatkoVarda said:

Wasn't there a PTBNL from the Cubs for JWilson and Alex? And Al took $$$ instead, right?

Yes, but we got players in that deal, not merely money.

2 minutes ago, LooseGoose said:

Avila quote from the News:

Sounds like he thinks we're getting players not taking the cash.

Yeah, that certainly seems to indicate they are targeting players.

I just hope that it doesn't linger on for a few months, then like a year, and then we hear a blurb about: Tigers accepted cash to complete the trade...

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, RedRamage said:

Yeah, that certainly seems to indicate they are targeting players.

I just hope that it doesn't linger on for a few months, then like a year, and then we hear a blurb about: Tigers accepted cash to complete the trade...

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Oblong said:

I go with a speedy OF who can't hit, is a poor baserunner, and not as good defensively as people think.

Alex Sanchez v2.0

18 minutes ago, RatkoVarda said:

A's have a whole lot of guys at different stages recovering from TJ; no idea how they factor into the list.

Also Grant Holmes, an LAD 2014 1st rd pick and the A's 16th-rated player(10th pre-season), is recovering from Rotator Cuff surgery.  

http://blog.brianschiff.com/?p=1759

Outcomes for Elite Pitchers After Shoulder Surgery

“Elite” was defined as throwing in at least one game in MLB, minor league (A, AA, or AAA) or all collegiate divisions.   Six level I-IV studies were included with enrollment from 1976 – 2007, and there were 287 elite male pitchers who underwent shoulder surgery with 99% on the dominant throwing shoulder.  Most pitchers (276) were professional with a mean career length of 6.58 years.  Post-operative clinical follow-up within these studies was 3.62 years.

Primary diagnoses treated:

• RC tear = 120 (43%)
  • Internal impingement = 82 (30%)
  • Labral tear = 74 (27%)

Surgical procedures performed:

• Labral repair (157) or labral debridement (99)
  • RC repair (29) or debridement (162)
  • Thermal capsulorrhaphy (63)
  • Subacromial decompression (42)

The statistics reveal more debridement of the labrum (61%) and rotator cuff (85%) versus repair.  This is not necessarily surprising given the desire to minimize surgical intervention and loss of motion.

Return to Sport Data

1. The overall rate of return to sport was low at 68%.
  2. Mean time to return to competitive pitching in a game situation was 12 months (range = 9 -17)
  3. 22% of MLB pitchers never pitched again in MLB
  4. Only 14% returned to competitive pitching in the same season as labral surgery
  5. No one returned to competitive pitching in the same season after rotator cuff surgery
  6. Reynolds et al reported a median of 2 seasons of pitching after debridement of partial thickness cuff tears
  7. Mazoue and Andrews reported a mean of 0.7 seasons pitching (range 3 innings to 3 seasons) after mini-open RC repair

Performance declined for the 3 seasons prior to surgery and then gradually increased for 3 seasons afterward, but generally did not reach pre-injury levels.

1 hour ago, chasfh said:

If we settle for cash on this deal, what just what the h*** is it we’re trying to do here?

The cash is always included as an option in the event something comes up with the agreed upon list of players. 

I suspect that at least one of the guys they get in return will be a legitimate prospect, not unlike the guy we got for Martin. 

2 minutes ago, Shelton said:

The cash is always included as an option in the event something comes up with the agreed upon list of players. 

I suspect that at least one of the guys they get in return will be a legitimate prospect, not unlike the guy we got for Martin. 

I see that Lynn already covered this. 

I'm guessing, way out of left field, but I think that Greg Deichmann will be part of the deal.  He's a 23 year old right fielder who has been injured with a wrist injury much of the year, but he was drafted in the 2nd round in '17 from LSU.

Also, I think trading Fiers now helps them get a better draft pick, so that's also a part of this deal.

I am inclined to think positively here because there’s a huge chance Fiers is not what he’s shown and will fall back off the cliff. 

The only bummer here is that Fiers has peaked enough to trade him, which is exactly what we wanted, but has done so at a time when the market is saturated and there just wasn’t much demand.

Another "Ho-Hum'' trade that most likely will net the Tigers only very marginal prospects at best ..with Al Avila singing his own praises to whomever is eager enough to listen.

1 hour ago, chasfh said:

We'll see. Hope you're right.

Because they paid Fiers something like $4M of a $6M contract to then turn around to trade him for $500,000 or something in order to save money.

2 hours ago, chasfh said:

We'll see. Hope you're right.

I assure you I’m right. 

Whoever the guys end up being, by rule, they will be guys that are not on Oakland’s 40 man.