Keepleyland2

8/4 @9:05 Detroit Tigers vs Oakland Athletics

Just now, chasfh said:

This is who we have to pinch-hit: RH hitting James McCann, he of the .603 OPS, against RH closer Blake Treinen. Yikes.

They have an awful lineup.  Plus, an awful approach to hitting on top of it.

McCann doesn't believe in protecting the plate with 2 strikes...not even if it's the last out of the game. If he don't like the pitch, he ain't swinging.

28 minutes ago, LooseGoose said:

It's a VerDay after all.   Verhagen gets us to the 8th.  2-1 As

VerHagen would be a potential BP bright spot if he can start pitching up to the quality of his arm. Candelario maybe coming of of his funk a bit. Its gonna be baby steps-one player at a time. 

1 hour ago, Mr. Bigglesworth said:

The Tigers are very likely to score an earned run.

If very likely means definite maybe, then I agree.

1 minute ago, N11120 said:

McCann doesn't believe in protecting the plate with 2 strikes...not even if it's the last out of the game. If he don't like the pitch, he ain't swinging.

He did not even have to protect on that last pitch, it was essentially down the middle, and he just stood there on the side of the road and watched it go by.

Just now, lordstanley said:

If very likely means definite maybe, then I agree.

I still assert that they will not score an earned run this series.  

2 minutes ago, kj2018 said:

He did not even have to protect on that last pitch, it was essentially down the middle, and he just stood there on the side of the road and watched it go by.

Looked like an obvious strike to me. Apparently McCan't or McWon't swing didn't think so.

6 minutes ago, Gehringer_2 said:

VerHagen would be a potential BP bright spot if he can start pitching up to the quality of his arm. Candelario maybe coming of of his funk a bit. Its gonna be baby steps-one player at a time. 

I would argue that he already is a bright spot and has been for some time. The question with him would be: Can he start?

39 minutes ago, Chili Mac Davis said:

I would argue that he already is a bright spot and has been for some time. The question with him would be: Can he start?

In a word...no.

1 hour ago, N11120 said:

Looked like an obvious strike to me. Apparently McCan't or McWon't swing didn't think so.

The pitch froze him. The other guys are on scholarship too

1 hour ago, Chili Mac Davis said:

I would argue that he already is a bright spot and has been for some time. 

We are talking about VerHagen?  

8 hours ago, tiger337 said:

We are talking about VerHagen?  

Sure. Why would I not be optimistic about the guy? A 2.3 ish ERA in his last 10 outings, a 1.11 WHIP for the season? Four out of his five outs yesterday via strikeouts? He has four scoreless outings in a row and six out of his last eight?

After a horrible start he's been fine.

8 hours ago, Keepleyland2 said:

The pitch froze him. The other guys are on scholarship too

Yes, it appeared the breaking ball fooled him, but that's no excuse to stand there and watch a game ending third strike go by. McCann needs to unfreeze himself in that situation and be ready to swing at anything close to the strike zone.

43 minutes ago, Chili Mac Davis said:

Sure. Why would I not be optimistic about the guy? A 2.3 ish ERA in his last 10 outings, a 1.11 WHIP for the season? Four out of his five outs yesterday via strikeouts? He has four scoreless outings in a row and six out of his last eight?

After a horrible start he's been fine.

He has been OK since his July recall, but I was questioning the "some time" phrase.  Technically you are correct as 10 appearances is some time, but he has never been able to sustain any success in the majors,  so I will need to see a longer stretch before I am convinced things are different this time.  

46 minutes ago, tiger337 said:

He has been OK since his July recall, but I was questioning the "some time" phrase.  Technically you are correct as 10 appearances is some time, but he has never been able to sustain any success in the majors,  so I will need to see a longer stretch before I am convinced things are different this time.  

This is really subjective and probably meaningless - but he seems to have a different air about him this time.   I don't see the nerves that I've seen him display in the past.   Maybe he's now convinced he belongs?

Now watch him get shelled in his next 3 appearances.