Casimir

Bye Bye, Urban

I still don't really understand what he was supposed to do (besides not bring the scumbag assistant with him from Florida in the first place). If the ex-wife wasn't going to the police, was he supposed to do it for her? If the police go to her, and she still refuses to press charges, then there is nothing the police can do at that point, right? What can the program/Meyer do then, if the assistant hasn't actually been charged/formally accused of abuse? 

If either of the Meyers were the ones advising the ex not to go to the police, then I can absolutely see how/why they could be held accountable. Otherwise, I still don't see how this is so bad for Urban.

2 hours ago, Tigertown Rats said:

I still don't really understand what he was supposed to do (besides not bring the scumbag assistant with him from Florida in the first place). If the ex-wife wasn't going to the police, was he supposed to do it for her? If the police go to her, and she still refuses to press charges, then there is nothing the police can do at that point, right? What can the program/Meyer do then, if the assistant hasn't actually been charged/formally accused of abuse? 

If either of the Meyers were the ones advising the ex not to go to the police, then I can absolutely see how/why they could be held accountable. Otherwise, I still don't see how this is so bad for Urban.

There is a fair point here. It was Tressel's responsibility that his players not receive things of value as collegians - he should and *could* have stopped what was going on. In this case, the most Meyer could have done was fire Smith, which at best would make no improvement in the Smith domestic situation and could well make it worse. Now of course, from the institutional standpoint OSU doesn't want a wife a beater on the staff and Smith would(should?) be fired for that - but the point remains that while that lets the institution maintain that it has 'clean hands' - the reality is it doesn't do anything for the victim or further a resolution of the problem.

All that said, it's not going to help Urban. If the case is strong that he knew - he is gone because that is just the current institutional imperative. Domestic abuse doesn't qualify under a disability treatment paradigm - yet.

tom herman will step in at osu when meyer leaves.

i dont think osu will fire him. 

I keep hearing Title IX.  But how?  She's not a student, not an employee, and this didn't happen on school grounds. 

I'm not defending Meyer at all, this is absolutely stupid he would keep the guy, but I'm not seeing where Title IX fits in.

Time for him to leave and figure out his life. And the lady that no matter if she is a student or what have you. She was harassed and nobody should overlook that in the wake of Time's Up and Me Too.

13 hours ago, Casimir said:

Actually, he was my first thought.  But I think he decided to hang up the whistle because his father had health issues at an early age and Bob didn't want to fall into that trap.  At least that was the speculation of why he retired.  Maybe his mindset is different now after a couple of year off.  (I just looked and saw he retired last season, but for some reason it seems like its been a few seasons).

It sounds like the interim coach, Ryan Day, is pretty highly thought of.  If OSU decides a bunch of coaches that were in the know need to be replaced, my guess is that would be for those around the 2015 incident(s).  Day started at OSU in 2017.  So, its possible that OSU set this up intentionally to avoid replacing the interim head coach with another interim.

To me, a guy like Stoops might be MORE stressed out not being in the game.   Maybe stepping away for a year or two helps him, but he's still a young guy.  He's not done.   I mean, it could not be better set up for him to just step in this year or next.  He's an Ohio guy.  I think with a program that size and stature that bringing in a brand new coach (Ryan Day, has he been a major head coach?) doesn't work, not with them already being near the top.   So that leaves you with a few choices and the top of the list would be Bob Stoops and Mark Dantonio, Matt Campbell and after a scandal involving abuse would you really want to touch Greg Schiano?   I mean, Greg did nothing wrong but I would imagine you'd stay away right now from anyone from Penn State.     What about pro coaches?  I doubt Mike Vrabel would leave the NFL after one season.    Could Pete Carroll end up back in college or is he too radioactive.  He won't be in Seattle much longer.     

12 hours ago, Motor City Sonics said:

To me, a guy like Stoops might be MORE stressed out not being in the game.   Maybe stepping away for a year or two helps him, but he's still a young guy.  He's not done.   I mean, it could not be better set up for him to just step in this year or next.  He's an Ohio guy.  I think with a program that size and stature that bringing in a brand new coach (Ryan Day, has he been a major head coach?) doesn't work, not with them already being near the top.   So that leaves you with a few choices and the top of the list would be Bob Stoops and Mark Dantonio, Matt Campbell and after a scandal involving abuse would you really want to touch Greg Schiano?   I mean, Greg did nothing wrong but I would imagine you'd stay away right now from anyone from Penn State.     What about pro coaches?  I doubt Mike Vrabel would leave the NFL after one season.    Could Pete Carroll end up back in college or is he too radioactive.  He won't be in Seattle much longer.     

As for Stoops, it isn't like he was in a poor spot in Oklahoma.  The Sooners were/are an annual power in the conference.  He really had all of the foundation set for a successful program.  Why walk away from that if you want to keep coaching?  I think he was just sincerely flat out done.  Maybe it changes with time off.  OSU should be a nice landing spot for him if he chooses to come back.  I guess it depends upon what all happens once this shakes out.

Day has not been a major head coach, but OSU was able to retain him in spite of Mississippi State having serious interest in him as a head coach.  He's not associated with the 2015 texts and has a pretty clean record (well, OK, except that he's with OSU).  I think there is a reason he's the interim and guys with previous head coaching experience but also their share of issues (Schiano and Wilson) and/or possibly linked to the 2015 timing were not bumped up.

I don't see Dantonio leaving MSU.  Why would he?  He's in a pretty good spot.

I expect that if he texts were in fact shared amongst the group of wives/girlfriends/significant others in 2015, those coaches are gone.  If Gene Smith was also in the know, he needs to be out as well.  Honestly, he (and Gordon Gee who was removed later for other issues) should have been out previously anyway with Tressel's departure.  Or maybe I'm just hoping this is what gets Meyer out of there.

19 hours ago, Buddha said:

tom herman will step in at osu when meyer leaves.

What a kick in the yamsack to Texas that would be to have a head football coach taken from them by another program.

I'll be shocked if Urban is let go. OSU is doing it's PR due diligence, putting him on leave. They'll investigate, determine there's not much else he could have done, & he'll be on the sidelines by game 1.

2 hours ago, djhutch said:

I'll be shocked if Urban is let go. OSU is doing it's PR due diligence, putting him on leave. They'll investigate, determine there's not much else he could have done, & he'll be on the sidelines by game 1.

You got it. 

Maybe not......not a good look when the accusers Mom says she's making it up.

LYNN BRUCE, ZACH SMITH'S MOM, ALLEGES THAT COURTNEY SMITH VOWED TO “TAKE ZACH DOWN AND TAKE URBAN MEYER DOWN WITH HIM”

Snook also exchanged text messages with Courtney's mother, Tina Carano, who also told Snook that she did not believe Zach was physically violent toward her daughter.

Reached this afternoon, Tina Carano would only communicate via text messages and backed Lynn Bruce’s version.

When asked if she believed her daughter’s claims of physical abuse, she replied, “I believe that Zach was removing himself from an argument and I do not believe he intentionally abused her. I do not believe he actually intentionally swung or punched her … no.”

As far as ever hearing her daughter say she would “take Zach down,” she replied, “Yes.”

And when Meyer’s name was mentioned, she added, “I cannot quote her exact words as I don’t remember them word for word, but something to that extent. This is my daughter and I love her but I do not approve of what she has done and how it was done.”

Following that text, she did not respond to follow-up questions.

14 minutes ago, Mr. Bigglesworth said:

Flip side is there are some really bizarre parent / child relationships out there.

yeah - It seems the only guarantee in this kind of story is that no matter how weird it starts out it will get more bizarre and confused.

7 hours ago, Passepartout said:

These kids felt that they could not have a say. But now they can. As it is in the era of Me Too and Time's Up!

I was referring to the kids of the Smiths.

On ‎8‎/‎2‎/‎2018 at 6:15 PM, Casimir said:

I think you underestimate how many fans find Meyer to be a greaseball.  This isn’t something that’s going to be swept under the rug.  There are going to be those that will look past it.  Every program has that.

But Meyer isn’t skating from this.  There’s no way he can.  If what is known in the public eye is true and there are texts to corroborate what he knew, he’s out.

Placing him on paid leave of absence simply buys OSU time to get its ducks in a row to fire him with cause.  If they fire him without cause, he’s owed $38.5M.  OSU would be wise to do it’s due diligence.

Did you actually think Ohio State had integrity?  Come on Casimir.  Maybe if they were coming off a 6-6 season! 

Ohio State is the SEC in the Big Ten.  From Troy Smith taking cash, to Maurice Clarett taking everything, to Terrell Pryor taking tattoos, to Urban Meyer deleting his text messages.  Ohio State might as well be in Tuscaloosa.

I never thought they would fire him.  In fact, I didn't think he deserved to be fired.

But then I looked at that report.  Jeebus.  He lied multiple times and then deleted all his text messages and then had the gall to say he doesn't remember stuff sometimes.

Oh my goodness.  I mean, I knew he was a slimeball already but then he goes and doubles down on it.

I bet that meeting took 12 hours because Urban was arguing that he shouldn't have been suspended at all.  But at least he apologized to "Buckeye Nation".

10 minutes ago, Buddha said:

Did you actually think Ohio State had integrity?  Come on Casimir.  Maybe if they were coming off a 6-6 season! 

Ohio State is the SEC in the Big Ten.  From Troy Smith taking cash, to Maurice Clarett taking everything, to Terrell Pryor taking tattoos, to Urban Meyer deleting his text messages.  Ohio State might as well be in Tuscaloosa.

This is the absolute truth to anyone not wearing scarlet and grey colored glasses (Casimir is not one of these people). OSU is going to win a ton of games at the cost of a program that lacks integrity and honor...and it’s clear that wins and the money it generates for the school is what matters most. 

10 hours ago, Buddha said:

I never thought they would fire him.  In fact, I didn't think he deserved to be fired.

But then I looked at that report.  Jeebus.  He lied multiple times and then deleted all his text messages and then had the gall to say he doesn't remember stuff sometimes.

Oh my goodness.  I mean, I knew he was a slimeball already but then he goes and doubles down on it.

I bet that meeting took 12 hours because Urban was arguing that he shouldn't have been suspended at all.  But at least he apologized to "Buckeye Nation".

Seriously, you didn't think he deserved to be fired at the beginning?  To me, its insubordination of his own rules.  If players are to be expected to treat women with respect, it sure as **** follows that coaches need to abide by that rule as well.  And to think he brought the ******* clown with him from Florida.

I am still surprised and embarrassed and dismayed that he wasn't fired.  They've fired winning coaches before.  I honestly don't see why this wouldn't be on par with firing Hayes and Tressel.

I hate to see Ohio State get sanctions levied against them, but I hope there's more dirt uncovered on Meyer, and quickly, and quite frankly, OSU will deserve what it has coming to them.  I am ******* sick and tired of that *** bag.

• Like 2

23 minutes ago, Casimir said:

Seriously, you didn't think he deserved to be fired at the beginning?  To me, its insubordination of his own rules.  If players are to be expected to treat women with respect, it sure as **** follows that coaches need to abide by that rule as well.  And to think he brought the ******* clown with him from Florida.

I am still surprised and embarrassed and dismayed that he wasn't fired.  They've fired winning coaches before.  I honestly don't see why this wouldn't be on par with firing Hayes and Tressel.

I hate to see Ohio State get sanctions levied against them, but I hope there's more dirt uncovered on Meyer, and quickly, and quite frankly, OSU will deserve what it has coming to them.  I am ******* sick and tired of that *** bag.

this should be the appropriate response of all osu fans.

• Like 1