Sign in to follow this  
Tenacious D

Hall of Fame Induction thread

If a crappy, meaningless game gets a thread, Trammell’s induction is deserving.  Love Tram—a bit earnest and nerdy, but I think his authenticity will come through.  Glad Morris is going in as a Tiger, but I’m not as big of a fan.  Morris will be blubbering, I’m sure.  Hope they both mention Whitaker and advocate for his inclusion.  Hope the 84 guys in attendance are sitting together and the camera cuts to them from time to time.  I suspect both will speak glowingly of Sparky.  A great day to be a Tigers fan.

Anyone know the order for speeches?  I would think Tram and Morris would be first, with the guys who were voted in by the writers going last.  I suspect Chipper would go last, given his accomplishments and stature.

https://www.detroitnews.com/story/sports/mlb/tigers/2018/07/29/live-updates-detroit-tigers-alan-trammell-jack-morris-speak-baseball-hall-fame/859432002/

To Al Kaline: "Thank you for being the role model that you are. I'm proud to have worn the old English D my entire career, just like you did."

He thanked his parents: "My mother would be extremely proud. She would tell me, 'If you ever make it to the major leagues, I hope you're humble like my favorite player, Stan Musial.'"

On Whitaker: "For 19 years Lou Whitaker and I formed the longest running double play combination in baseball. We were called up to the big leagues on the same day. We both got the last hits of our careers off the same pitchers. Can you believe that? That's truly amazing. Lou, it was an honor an pleasure to play alongside you all these years, and it's my hope you'll be up here someday too."

Trammell then remembered Spark Anderson: "Tough love, discipline and attention to detail. For those that stayed through the process, we reaped the benefits and had many years of success. I'm very thankful I bought into Sparky's way. I feel so lucky to have played for him for 17 years. I know Sparky's smiling down on us today."

It was great to be able to witness these inductions in person. Went with my parents, my son (13), my brother, and his son (18). My son soaked up the Cooperstown experience and loved every minute of it. Beautiful weather, but is was still hot sitting in the sun all that time. It would be miserable with typical late July temps. Enjoyed the parade downtown yesterday, but then the first half of the ceremony today was basically a repeat, with all of the player recognitions/introductions.

6 hours ago, Tenacious D said:

If a crappy, meaningless game gets a thread, 

Hey, I work hard to create those crappy threads

• Like 1

It’s a racist sham that Lou is not in. Absolute horse hockey. Words can not adequately express how blindly stupid it is that he is not in.

DjTBTJFXcAAOGf-.jpg

Its tough to get statues and plaques to be life like, but the mustache on the plaque is so much better than replica quality.  Damn near looks life like.

Wonder how they got Jack out of John Scott?  Was it short for Jackass?

Jack is a common nickname for people named John... like Jack Kennedy.

I recorded and watched last night.  It was very nice. Tram's speech was all business.  Just like him.  The special callout to Lou was expected and perfect.

Was it just my bias or did it seem like the coverage overall on MLB that day skewed towards them?  I got the impression that the younger guys going in deferred to them as elders.

Kaline is Mr. Tiger but given his age it's now time for Tram to take up that mantel and he's doing it already.

4 minutes ago, Oblong said:

Jack is a common nickname for people named John... like Jack Kennedy.

I recorded and watched last night.  It was very nice. Tram's speech was all business.  Just like him.  The special callout to Lou was expected and perfect.

Was it just my bias or did it seem like the coverage overall on MLB that day skewed towards them?  I got the impression that the younger guys going in deferred to them as elders.

Kaline is Mr. Tiger but given his age it's now time for Tram to take up that mantel and he's doing it already.

Never knew that about Jack - John.

During the little bit of MLB that I was able to watch yesterday, there was a lot of praise thrown at Whitaker.

3 minutes ago, Mr. Bigglesworth said:

Morris' plaque has all the vague references to greatness I expected.

But no mentioned of his spring training in Cincy.

I have a friend known as John at work, his proper name, and Jack among friends.  His facebook name is John-Jack for that reason.

The last cassette tape I purchased was Jack Cougar Mellencamp.  He had a song on there called "John and Diane"

• Haha 1

8 minutes ago, Oblong said:

The last cassette tape I purchased was Jack Cougar Mellencamp.  He had a song on there called "John and Diane"

Possible advertising slogan for illicit massage studio: "Where Johns Get Jacked".