gmoney

Post season awards.

JD Martinez

Justin Verlander

Max Scherzer

Eugenio Suarez.

MVPs and Cy Young winners.

Probably not but that would be something.  I'm thinking only Scherzer will win the award.

I'm sure Sale will win the AL Cy Young, Trout the AL MVP, and MLB will find a way to get a Cub to win the NL MVP.

NL MVP .. Arenado (Col)

AL MVP .. Ramirez (Cle)

NL Cy Young .. DeGrom (Mets)

AL Cy Young .. Sale (Bos)

**** Dombrowski for the Suarez trade. Honestly might end up being one of the 10 worst trades in MLB history.

Having a young MVP level player would change the trajectory of our rebuild so much.

6 minutes ago, TigerNation said:

**** Dombrowski for the Suarez trade. Honestly might end up being one of the 10 worst trades in MLB history.

Having a young MVP level player would change the trajectory of our rebuild so much.

To be fair, nobody and I mean nobody, thought Suarez would be this good. 

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, TigerNation said:

Exactly.  Because Avila would be able to trade Suarez for 3 low-ranked prospects next week.

• Haha 1

18 hours ago, lordstanley said:

Exactly.  Because Avila would be able to trade Suarez for 3 low-ranked prospects next week.

Minor league teams need backup level quality middle infielders too.

21 hours ago, Keepleyland2 said:

To be fair, nobody and I mean nobody, thought Suarez would be this good. 

True, its tough to have forsseen a .950 OPS out of him.  But his minor league stats were still too much to give up for that heaping pile of dung that Dombrowski got in return.

On 7/27/2018 at 8:47 AM, gmoney said:

JD Martinez

Justin Verlander

Max Scherzer

Eugenio Suarez.

MVPs and Cy Young winners.

Probably not but that would be something.  I'm thinking only Scherzer will win the award.

I'm sure Sale will win the AL Cy Young, Trout the AL MVP, and MLB will find a way to get a Cub to win the NL MVP.

Martinez is making a push recently for comeback player of the year.

Just now, Casimir said:

True, its tough to have forsseen a .950 OPS out of him.  But his minor league stats were still too much to give up for that heaping pile of dung that Dombrowski got in return.

No question bad trade. But, everybody envisioned a .260 hitting short stop with some dingers. Basically Peralta. It wasn't like Suraez was some hyped up prospect that people said yep that a No. 3 hitter that he gave up for crap. 

4 minutes ago, Keepleyland2 said:

No question bad trade. But, everybody envisioned a .260 hitting short stop with some dingers. Basically Peralta. It wasn't like Suraez was some hyped up prospect that people said yep that a No. 3 hitter that he gave up for crap. 

The thing with it that sticks in my craw is that 34 year old SImon was acquired to be a starter his only successful season of starting was a clear outlier to his career.  No reason to give up much at all for that kind of a pitcher.  Suarez had had some .800 OPS seasons in the minors and was on the younger side of his competition.  Why give up potential (even if it is a lower in the lineup everyday guy) for a flash in the pan?

8 minutes ago, Casimir said:

The thing with it that sticks in my craw is that 34 year old SImon was acquired to be a starter his only successful season of starting was a clear outlier to his career.  No reason to give up much at all for that kind of a pitcher.  Suarez had had some .800 OPS seasons in the minors and was on the younger side of his competition.  Why give up potential (even if it is a lower in the lineup everyday guy) for a flash in the pan?

Oh there is no question it was dumb, plus we gave up a recent first round pick in the deal too. But, I do think we need to remember when the deal was made what Suarez was as a prospect. 

It's like the Smoltz trade. Lots of people like to bash that as giving up a hall of famer for Doyle. But, at the time Smoltz was like an organization filler of an arm and Doyle did help in his task of getting us to the 87 playoffs. 

Just now, Keepleyland2 said:

Oh there is no question it was dumb, plus we gave up a recent first round pick in the deal too. But, I do think we need to remember when the deal was made what Suarez was as a prospect. 

It's like the Smoltz trade. Lots of people like to bash that as giving up a hall of famer for Doyle. But, at the time Smoltz was like an organization filler of an arm and Doyle did help in his task of getting us to the 87 playoffs. 

I can accept the Smoltz deal.  He hadn't shown much and likely wouldn't be who he became without going to Atlanta.

Speaking of Smoltz, I know a forum member here got his picture with him in Cooperstown this weekend.

1 hour ago, Keepleyland2 said:

If the Tigers had an analytics department at that time, they probably would have foreseen Suarez' potential.  

39 minutes ago, bobrob2004 said:

If the Tigers had an analytics department at that time, they probably would have foreseen Suarez' potential.  

Doubtful as nobody saw him in what he became today. Nobody. Not one scout or analytic department anywhere. There is no evidence anybody saw him as a 1.000 OPS guy, 

3 minutes ago, Keepleyland2 said:

Doubtful as nobody saw him in what he became today. Nobody. Not one scout or analytic department anywhere. There is no evidence anybody saw him as a 1.000 OPS guy, 

Maybe the Reds' analytics department did.  They targeted him for a reason. 

49 minutes ago, bobrob2004 said:

No, ..they probably would have been as short-sighted as the rest of the organization under Mike Ilitch's ownership.  I see no reason to expect any better (probably worse) under Chris Ilitch.

1 hour ago, bobrob2004 said:

Maybe the Reds' analytics department did.  They targeted him for a reason. 

They targeted him probably cause everybody thought he was a shortstop who was gonna hit .260 with some dingers.

10 minutes ago, Keepleyland2 said:

They targeted him probably cause everybody thought he was a shortstop who was gonna hit .260 with some dingers.

Right, and even at that level Simon was  bad return value. 

The one year here that he got MLB ABs he didn't look like anything special.

Hindsight is a wonderful tool.    I wonder how many posts there were at the time of the deal slamming the Tigers for giving away a future MVP?   

16 minutes ago, Mr. Bigglesworth said:

That trade was pretty universally panned here, as I recall, because Simon was so poorly thought of.

True, although not many were that upset about losing Suarez.  It was a more a matter of why trade any decent prospect for Simon.  

I wish they would have archived the MLB message board so we can go back and see old posts instead of deleting the whole thing. 

3 hours ago, bobrob2004 said:

I wish they would have archived the MLB message board so we can go back and see old posts instead of deleting the whole thing. 

I wish the Tigers had drafted Mike Trout instead of Jacob Turner in 2009.

14 hours ago, Mr. Bigglesworth said:

That trade was pretty universally panned here, as I recall, because Simon was so poorly thought of.

This was favorite post from that thread:

On 12/11/2014 at 1:11 PM, Mr. Bigglesworth said:

This franchise is in better shape today than it has been in the vast majority of my life.

Perspective.