Yoda

Better Call Saul - Season 4

1 hour ago, John_Brian_K said:

Yeah that was the part I thought was unique.  "even together they are apart" kind of thing.  I wish they would ditch that stupid little curly q pony tail on Kim and let her actually do her hair.  She is a pretty woman though either way.

This was brought up on the podcast hosted by the editor of the show.............Kim is very busy, she really isn't all that vain so they had to make sure during the montage that she wore the same thing on a couple of occasion because she's the type of person who wouldn't do all that much shopping.   Kim simply doesn't have time to deal with her hair - she has work to do.

Podcast is interesting - hearing how much goes into shooting certain scenes.   They explained how difficult it was to shoot the Pinata scene because they are only allowed to have the actors hang upside down for 90 seconds then they have to lower them, and of that 90 seconds, 15 of those seconds are getting into position.  Stunt people can do it for 2 minutes.     The warehouse had to be totally rewired and new lights put in because the real lights buzzed too loudly.   Also, the security cameras that Mike was looking at were real and everything had to be synched up,  8 different cameras, each with 3 angles had to be synched up for a 40 second scene.     And the pocket dialogue (people speaking in the background) is extremely important to learn because it has to be the same for every angle and sometimes the director will use it.     

https://itunes.apple.com/us/podcast/better-call-saul-insider-podcast/id966297954?mt=2

10 minutes ago, Oblong said:

yeah I listen to those every week... at list the first 40 min or so.

Yeah, I think Patrick Fabian is afraid of Jonathan Banks. LOL.   Only guy he won't do an impression of..............

I love finding out things like Jon Cryer won a triathlon and then won an Emmy the same night that he hosted the show.   Yeah..........Ducky..........who'da thunk it?   

Was Jesse's red car (The Capn) in the latest BCS episode?    Not saying it was Jesse (someone owned the car before him).   Watch the sequence of people buying the phones JimSaul is selling out of the van.   

On 9/18/2018 at 12:05 PM, lordstanley said:

I could see Kim & Jimmy's relationship ending by the end of this season due to indifference and drifting apart. Less sensational than a big blowup, but maybe more realistic. .

I fell into the trap. Nice one, Gilligan.

That was a great episode and covered a ton.  I like all the plot lines going on right now.  They are weaving a great story here.  I think the nice German is going to get the razor before the end of the show.  Gus' cruelty is going to come out.  Everyone thinks it will be Kai, but I think the friendly one will get it.

Every couple episodes things shift with Kim.  Now my gut is telling me she ends up in jail during BB.  That scam seemed like a LOT of work to keep a guy out of jail for a few months, but it was well constructed.  Is Jimmy going to put all those phones back in their cases to sell?  There were like 30 of them out on the table.

Nacho......I am guessing he got that pad after he left his fathers and when he became Hectors replacement in the 'table of the drop offs' order.  The dude who was cooking...a Salamaccha...I was guessing that was supposed to be a big reveal, but I do not recall the guy.  I am guessing it was someone we knew from the BB days?

Kim and Jimmy story line

Howard Story line

Nacho story line

Mike and Gus story line

31 minutes ago, John_Brian_K said:

Nacho......I am guessing he got that pad after he left his fathers and when he became Hectors replacement in the 'table of the drop offs' order.  The dude who was cooking...a Salamaccha...I was guessing that was supposed to be a big reveal, but I do not recall the guy.  I am guessing it was someone we knew from the BB days?

I didn't recall the guy either. But after some online reading, learned that Lala was referenced in Saul's first Breaking Bad episode, as the guy Saul was scared of. Seems to foreshadow that Lala and Nacho (Ignacio) will be at odds at some point, no surprise.

41 minutes ago, John_Brian_K said:

That was a great episode and covered a ton.  I like all the plot lines going on right now.  They are weaving a great story here.  I think the nice German is going to get the razor before the end of the show.  Gus' cruelty is going to come out.  Everyone thinks it will be Kai, but I think the friendly one will get it.

Every couple episodes things shift with Kim.  Now my gut is telling me she ends up in jail during BB.  That scam seemed like a LOT of work to keep a guy out of jail for a few months, but it was well constructed.  Is Jimmy going to put all those phones back in their cases to sell?  There were like 30 of them out on the table.

Kim and Jimmy story line

Howard Story line

Nacho story line

Mike and Gus story line

Kim gets a rush out of what she's doing and defends Krazy 8 in a minor case and gets curious as to what all the fuss is about with meth.  She samples it and bam SHE'S HOOKED.   Two years later - She's Spooge's lady - and she "ain't no skank". 

13 minutes ago, Motor City Sonics said:

Kim gets a rush out of what she's doing and defends Krazy 8 in a minor case and gets curious as to what all the fuss is about with meth.  She samples it and bam SHE'S HOOKED.   Two years later - She's Spooge's lady - and she "ain't no skank". 

This has been kind of a running joke on here.  I can see it as a possibility.  That does not mean I would bet money it happens...quite the contrary, but I can see it as an outcome...minus the spooges lady part.

I felt the "let's do it again" line was a complete betrayal of her character. Doing it once was odd enough. 

I really hate that they're taking her down this path. Her unwillingness to stoop to his level is what this show needed/needs. If she's just going to become like him then what even is the point of her character? I really hope they fix this.  

1 hour ago, Yoda said:

I felt the "let's do it again" line was a complete betrayal of her character. Doing it once was odd enough. 

Hard not to agree with this....at least for the most part.  She did it once...MAY have done it more before she appeared on screen...she COULD have been the female Jimmy (at least to a small degree) before she decided to turn herself around...she may have just been better at covering up her pull to it.

I think it makes her character more complex though and do not think it is a betrayal of her character.

I think Kim has a strong aversion to people who think they are better than others for whatever reason...that is one trait Jimmy definitely does not have...the DA's comment about 'scumbag disbarred attorney' really hit a chord with her I think.

I think she has no problem sticking it to people who hold their nose in the air....evidenced by both scams she pulled with Jimmy.

4 hours ago, Yoda said:

I really hate that they're taking her down this path. Her unwillingness to stoop to his level is what this show needed/needs. If she's just going to become like him then what even is the point of her character? I really hope they fix this.  

I guess they don't want to Skylerize her.  

Sorry but I think even in the primitive days of 2003 that a legal staff would know how to dig deeply enough to find out of something in another city was true or not - like the existence of a church or pastor.   ]

Now, having lived in New Mexico for a whole year I can tell you that folks in general aren't the biggest Go-Getters compared to the Midwest.  Their motto is Land Of Enchantment but many jokingly call it Land Of Manana, but I don't think that would apply to prosecutors so much.   

We already saw Kim sort of like this with the Bar stuff didn't we?  Just not to this extreme and actually taking a big part in it.

4 hours ago, PuNk42AE said:

We already saw Kim sort of like this with the Bar stuff didn't we?  Just not to this extreme and actually taking a big part in it.

She was drinking and it wasn't premeditated. This is much different. 

This isn't BB. They don't have to flip everyone. They seem to be doing that with Nacho as well. Though I think he's just playing the game / staying alive until he can find his way out. 

14 hours ago, Motor City Sonics said:

Sorry but I think even in the primitive days of 2003 that a legal staff would know how to dig deeply enough to find out of something in another city was true or not - like the existence of a church or pastor.   ]

Now, having lived in New Mexico for a whole year I can tell you that folks in general aren't the biggest Go-Getters compared to the Midwest.  Their motto is Land Of Enchantment but many jokingly call it Land Of Manana, but I don't think that would apply to prosecutors so much.   

It was a minor case, Kim threw the DA a curve ball when she brought all the high power into it.  Why would the DA suspect anything enough to dig deeper on such a minor case?  She wouldn't.  She did enough due diligence.  She read some of the letters, followed up with a few calls.  There was even a website for the church.  The judge was even forcing her hand to settle it.  She did not need to do more.  We saw what happened, for the DA it was just another case...and such a small one as well.

It is not like scamming the DA is common.  Especially for a lawyer like Kim.  Now my prediction is that she keeps doing it, THEN I think the DA will suspect something and maybe start to dig deeper, but I assume Kim and Jimmy will be one step ahead of her most of the way...until one case...something is going happen where she gets caught IMO.  That is just one way they can go with all this, but it would be fun to see them trying to keep one step ahead of the DA...like Jimmy tried doing with Chuck.  It will create tense drama.

16 hours ago, Motor City Sonics said:

I would like to know more about Kim's background pre-Albuquerque.  

When BCS is over, we go back to 5 years before it started and have Kim as the centerpiece, showing how she got her start at HHM. When that's over, we go back to 5 years before THAT, and find out how Howard and Chuck built HHM. 

I am watching BB again... I just finished Box Cutter.   In the flashback with Gale the impression is given that the facility is brand new.  Or at least the equipment.  Gale is opening all the boxes with the cutter.  He makes reference to "building this for you". That would put BCS right now pretty close to BB.  But maybe it's just new equipment and the facility has been there for years.  

8 minutes ago, Oblong said:

I am watching BB again... I just finished Box Cutter.   In the flashback with Gale the impression is given that the facility is brand new.  Or at least the equipment.  Gale is opening all the boxes with the cutter.  He makes reference to "building this for you". That would put BCS right now pretty close to BB.  But maybe it's just new equipment and the facility has been there for years.  

Hard to say because it was a flash back.  The present day for that episode was Jesse shooting Gale.  

We first see the superlab 176 days into BB and it is almost complete.  There are only 5 days (according to the wiki timeline) between Mas (when Walt first sees the superlab) and the next episode where Walt has his first day cooking in the lab.

We first see Saul 82 days into BB...this is the sticking point.  The lab looks so new in Mas.

So we know the current timeline in BCS is not close to the 82 days in BB.  Saul is already a WELL KNOWN criminal lawyer with connections all over at that point.

There are 94 days between the first view of the Super lab and Saul making an appearance in BB and again he is already well established at that point.  Even assuming Jimmy becomes Saul within the next few days on BCS (hard to do because he does not even have his license back yet) the timelines do not completely jive.

But all this has to be taken with a grain of salt because the wiki timeline (while doing a darn good job IMO) can only work with what they see on the shows and some amount of guessing is done.

There is also this:

Walter White seems to die on his 52nd birthday, which is said to be on a Tuesday. However, his birthday, September 7th, falls on a Wednesday in 2011. This would place his 52nd birthday in 2010, rather than 2011. This would be consistent, however, with a statement made by Vince Gilligan that Better Call Saul takes place "in 2002, 6 years before Saul meets Walter White." This would place "Pilot" in 2008, "Fifty-One" in 2009, and "Felina" (in which Walt turns 52) in 2010, in which September 7th was a Tuesday.

The last episode of BCS we just saw takes place sometime between April 2003 - January 16, 2004....(according to the wiki timeline) 4 years still before we meet Saul according to the writers.

I guess there is something to be said of Gus using some random people to cook meth for a few years, finally relenting and 'letting' Gale try to do it while bring Gale the sample from Walts meth and then Gale simply saying 'that is too good, I cannot replicate that'...then we see Gus bring Walt in....and the lab getting a complete cleaning and maybe even all new equipment based on Gale explaining how intricate the process is and ANY contamination will screw up the meth.

The flashback with Gale references Walt's meth.  Gale had already tested it.  So the new equipment comes after BB starts.  But the lab could have been there with previous equipment.  It was just a thought htat came to me as I literally watched Box Cutter and the lastest BCS episode back to back.

55 minutes ago, Oblong said:

I believe we are currently in October/November of 2003.   If you remember the Something Stupid split screen montage, they went through Jimmy's Probation file and it went from June to October, the longest time skip.    Breaking Bad started in about 2009.   The reason we know this is Walt's license had his birth date as 1959 and the series starts on his 50th birthday, 2009.   But the license we see is the fake one made by Ed The Vacuum Repair Guy,  so it could have been fudged a bit.   So we are still a good 5 years away from BB

The Superlab construction looks to be months away from being built, but much further away from being set up and finalized.  

When we flashed back to Gale opening the boxes with the famous green box cutter, we have no idea how long ago from the BB timeline it was.   Gus/Gale could have been producing their lower quality/high volume meth for a couple of years before Big Blue came into the picture.   By the time Walt started we got that montage of just how it's shipped out and distributed and it looked to be a well-tuned machine at that point.