RandyMarsh

Michigan recruitment 2018/19

2 hours ago, Buddha said:

why is a bowl game any less important than a regular season game?  it counts in the records.  its on national tv.

i get why players going pro dont want to play and risk injury, but then why play against indiana or minnesota?  why play a game once you've lost and are out of contention for a championship?  

whats the difference?

I don’t know. I think it depends on the team and what its goals were for the season. If your program goal is to play in a bowl game, like for a team like Purdue, regular season games are important even if you are eliminated from contending for a conference championship. If your goal is the big ten championship or a playoff appearance, like for a team like Wisconsin this year, then the late season regular season games become irrelevant, too. 

I guess it’s a “know it when I see it” situation for me. 

3 minutes ago, Shelton said:

I don’t know. I think it depends on the team and what its goals were for the season. If your program goal is to play in a bowl game, like for a team like Purdue, regular season games are important even if you are eliminated from contending for a conference championship. If your goal is the big ten championship or a playoff appearance, like for a team like Wisconsin this year, then the late season regular season games become irrelevant, too. 

I guess it’s a “know it when I see it” situation for me. 

i think all the games are just as important.  playing football is why they were allowed into school and given a scholarship.  they should honor that.

i get why they dont and i agree that the system exploits them to a large degree, but you made a committment and you should honor it.

and again, i get why they dont and i dont blame them for it.  but then why play any game?

4 minutes ago, Buddha said:

i think all the games are just as important.  playing football is why they were allowed into school and given a scholarship.  they should honor that.

i get why they dont and i agree that the system exploits them to a large degree, but you made a committment and you should honor it.

and again, i get why they dont and i dont blame them for it.  but then why play any game?

I think that’s a question for the individual player and the school. It’s absolutely true that the players are given a scholarship in return for them playing for the team. 

But now we are starting to get into the contractual aspect of college athletics. The scholarships aren’t guaranteed, and the performance on the field isn’t guaranteed either, right. If a team wanted to, they could rescind a scholarship if a player chooses to sit out games, right?

As it is, by the time a senior or underclassman is planning to leave for the draft, they gain the upper hand. Until NFL teams start penalizing players for this, there is no incentive for them to keep playing if they don’t want to. 

If we want to make them employees and let them contract for their services and give the school or players a cause of action for a breach, that’s fine.

just like anything else, there are consequences for decisions. If a guy decides to sit out midway through the season, he has to weigh how that will be perceived and how that may affect them. Maybe your teammates will hate you. 

Why don’t people tend to date their friend’s ex?

we could slipppery slope this forever. 

But as for this game, it seems less meaningful than the 12 games that came before. I expect a lot of players feel the same way. Gary and winovich could have sat out the osu game, but they didn’t. Meaningfulness can be subjective. 

one could argue gary amd winovich were pretty absent from the osu game even though they were physically there...

8 minutes ago, Buddha said:

one could argue gary amd winovich were pretty absent from the osu game even though they were physically there...

Hot take. 

50 minutes ago, Buddha said:

One could argue that Winovich shouldn't have been on the field for OSU. 

Yeah, hot take. 

Sounds like Dax is still likely still a Michigan Man.  

Lets hope. 

Just now, ROMAD1 said:

One could argue that Winovich shouldn't have been on the field for OSU. 

Yeah, hot take. 

i assume winovich was hurt.

gary, otoh, while a good player at michigan must be seen as a disappointment given his hype.  i have a feeling he will be much better in the nfl than he was at michigan, where he was good, occasionally great, but never the dominant force predicted for a kid who had clowney type hype coming into michigan.

1 minute ago, ROMAD1 said:

Sounds like Dax is still likely still a Michigan Man.  

Lets hope. 

they need that really bad.

sounds like harrison is out.  but you never know.

ah, the whims of 18 year olds....

3 minutes ago, Buddha said:

they need that really bad.

sounds like harrison is out.  but you never know.

ah, the whims of 18 year olds....

very much 

4 minutes ago, Shelton said:

I miss Hongbit trolling Benke regarding recruiting. 

nobody misses hongbit.