RandyMarsh

Michigan recruitment 2018/19

Right now they have 19 commits and are ranked in the top 5 in Rivals, 247 and ESPN.  Still a long way to go but it would be nice to shore up a top 5 class after last years disappointing one. 

If they can land Zach Harrison, that would be huge.

Even if they don't, they should still finish with a top 10 class, which is a major improvement over last year.  If last year is just a blip, it's ok.  But they can't afford any more classes like that one if they want to be an elite program moving forward.

Anthony Solomon LB,  Trevor Keegan OL and apparently some Cornelius Johnson WR appear to be pickups

aubrey solomon transfers.

don brown should leave now because michigan's defense next year will not be that good.

theyre going to need to flip some people at the end or this is going to be an underwhelming class.  

it wont be the raging tire fire that last year's class was, but it wont be the necessary return to the first two complete harbaugh classes.

looks like another class of solid 4 stars with no real superstars.  a class that will get you to the peach bowl but not the rose bowl.

1 hour ago, Buddha said:

don brown should leave now because michigan's defense next year will not be that good.

This is weird.  

The transfers don't fit a pattern except that most of them were on the path to future playing time.  

1 hour ago, Buddha said:

We're probably going back to 4-5 losses again next season.

7 minutes ago, Euphdude said:

We're probably going back to 4-5 losses again next season.

the offense will carry them next year.

their schedule sets up really nicely before their annual ohio state beat down.  and since they have them at home, its likely to be less of a beat down than usual.

penn state could be problematic, other than that michigan will likely be favored to win every game.  even notre dame.  and with franklin as penn state's coach, i think michigan can win that game.

11 minutes ago, Buddha said:

the offense will carry them next year.

their schedule sets up really nicely before their annual ohio state beat down.  and since they have them at home, its likely to be less of a beat down than usual.

penn state could be problematic, other than that michigan will likely be favored to win every game.  even notre dame.  and with franklin as penn state's coach, i think michigan can win that game.

I think that's more an indication of the B10 not being a strong conference.  The B10 would be mired in mediocrity if it weren't for Ohio State.

Come on, now. 

We aren’t as good as OSU and Bama and Clemson. But that’s true of almost all of college football. 

I know it’s a cop out, but it is what it is. I don’t really have a problem with it, but I think all of the losing I have witnessed as a fan of most of not all of my teams over the past 20 years has softened me. I don’t really care about championships anymore. Just be pretty good. Eventually you will have the right pieces at the right time to win it all. 

Michigan is in fine shape as far as that goes. 

That said, I’m tired of hearing that we can’t conpete with OSU on the field. Either team could have won in 2016. And we had a very good chance of winning in 2017 despite the worst QB and line combination we have had since the days or Sheridan and threet. Whatever. They lost. I know. And they got smoked this year. I remember. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Shelton said:

Come on, now. 

We aren’t as good as OSU and Bama and Clemson. But that’s true of almost all of college football. 

I know it’s a cop out, but it is what it is. I don’t really have a problem with it, but I think all of the losing I have witnessed as a fan of most of not all of my teams over the past 20 years has softened me. I don’t really care about championships anymore. Just be pretty good. Eventually you will have the right pieces at the right time to win it all. 

Michigan is in fine shape as far as that goes. 

That said, I’m tired of hearing that we can’t conpete with OSU on the field. Either team could have won in 2016. And we had a very good chance of winning in 2017 despite the worst QB and line combination we have had since the days or Sheridan and threet. Whatever. They lost. I know. And they got smoked this year. I remember. 

they've beaten ohio state once in the last 20 years.  and that was only when ohio state was led by an interim coach and was 6-6.

iowa has beaten them.  wisconsin has beaten them.  purdue has beaten them.  michigan state has even beaten them.

the fact that michigan cant beat them MORE THAN ONCE is a little ******* ridiculous, recruiting edge or not.

Just now, Buddha said:

they've beaten ohio state once in the last 20 years.  and that was only when ohio state was led by an interim coach and was 6-6.

iowa has beaten them.  wisconsin has beaten them.  purdue has beaten them.  michigan state has even beaten them.

the fact that michigan cant beat them MORE THAN ONCE is a little ******* ridiculous, recruiting edge or not.

I’m talking about right now, though. And I know that it is a cop out. It’s an excuse. It’s all the things Mike Valenti would scream back at me. I get it. 

It has been really really bad to lose all of those games. I care more about the years where we had a halfway decent team, and of course the record still isn’t good (or it was the luke fickel year so it doesn’t count or gets discounted) . And even then, there were games in there that could have gone either way. 

It sucks. I remember. 

Yes, they have lost to other teams sometimes. Football is weird. I submit that it is weird that we haven’t beaten them as often as we should have. 

2 hours ago, ROMAD1 said:

This is weird.  

The transfers don't fit a pattern except that most of them were on the path to future playing time.  

random transfers with no antecedent issues on the field or prior reporting may be kids  with brewing academic trouble since grades are something no-one at the institution is allowed to talk about.

solomon is from georgia.  its possible he's just homesick.  they are still pretty young kids.

31 minutes ago, Shelton said:

I’m talking about right now, though. And I know that it is a cop out. It’s an excuse. It’s all the things Mike Valenti would scream back at me. I get it. 

It has been really really bad to lose all of those games. I care more about the years where we had a halfway decent team, and of course the record still isn’t good (or it was the luke fickel year so it doesn’t count or gets discounted) . And even then, there were games in there that could have gone either way. 

It sucks. I remember. 

Yes, they have lost to other teams sometimes. Football is weird. I submit that it is weird that we haven’t beaten them as often as we should have. 

i think michigan fans saw harbaugh as the savior who was going to lead them back to some mystical glory days or make them on par with ohio state and bama.  and i think the last four years has caused them to readjust their expectations and it hurts.

that said, he really has put michigan back to where they were in the late 90s or bo's days.  they can win all the games but the big ones.  that was michigan's m.o. under schembechler for years.  always coming up a few yards short in the rose bowl or against ohio state (or ricky foggie....or chuck long).

michigan simply hasnt recruited well enough to stay with the elite of the elite.  theyre the second best team in the big ten along with penn state.  and until they start pulling in multiple rashan gary's, thats where they'll stay.

that said, i think that with a little luck, they may actually be an 11 or 12 win team next year.  they have the schedule to do it and still have enough talent to get it done, especially if patterson stays.

3 hours ago, Buddha said:

i think michigan fans saw harbaugh as the savior who was going to lead them back to some mystical glory days or make them on par with ohio state and bama.  and i think the last four years has caused them to readjust their expectations and it hurts.

that said, he really has put michigan back to where they were in the late 90s or bo's days.  they can win all the games but the big ones.  that was michigan's m.o. under schembechler for years.  always coming up a few yards short in the rose bowl or against ohio state (or ricky foggie....or chuck long).

michigan simply hasnt recruited well enough to stay with the elite of the elite.  theyre the second best team in the big ten along with penn state.  and until they start pulling in multiple rashan gary's, thats where they'll stay.

that said, i think that with a little luck, they may actually be an 11 or 12 win team next year.  they have the schedule to do it and still have enough talent to get it done, especially if patterson stays.

I sort of doubt the nexus of power in college football is ever moving north again any time soon.. OSU has been the outlier, but it's not even a warm weather thing anymore. The Pac10 is in the toilet also. The fact is that the power houses of high school football are now concentrated in the South and that is where most kids want to go - near home to schools they have grown up rooting for. Ohio and OSU has been the exception - but even they had been losing ground against in their head to heads against top team prior to Meyer. He was definitely a recruiting force of nature (or whatever else.....). It will be interesting to see where OSU ends up with a mere mortal head coach, but he will still be working from the advantage that HS football in MI is a mere shadow of what it is in OH. UM can and does certainly recruit nationally, but depth still comes from the strength of the local supply of good players..

23 minutes ago, Gehringer_2 said:

I sort of doubt the nexus of power in college football is ever moving north again any time soon.. OSU has been the outlier, but it's not even a warm weather thing anymore. The Pac10 is in the toilet also. The fact is that the power houses of high school football are now concentrated in the South and that is where most kids want to go - near home to schools they have grown up rooting for. Ohio and OSU has been the exception - but even they had been losing ground against in their head to heads against top team prior to Meyer. He was definitely a recruiting force of nature (or whatever else.....). It will be interesting to see where OSU ends up with a mere mortal head coach, but he will still be working from the advantage that HS football in MI is a mere shadow of what it is in OH. UM can and does certainly recruit nationally, but depth still comes from the strength of the local supply of good players..

This is true, and I think it’s why they need a guy like Harbaugh as the face of their school. He needs to be able to show up at a high school anywhere in the country and have people know who he is without an introduction. 

12 hours ago, Gehringer_2 said:

random transfers with no antecedent issues on the field or prior reporting may be kids  with brewing academic trouble since grades are something no-one at the institution is allowed to talk about.

Were I a coach who takes a scientific approach to running an organization, I'd try to see if anything were fixable.  If JH thinks these are good-riddance stories because departing player lacks the spirit of the bayonet then at least he has to face that bad PR attaches to losing 5 star recruits. 

One may also wonder if Samuel and Solomon were friends and the stern discipline he displayed in dismissing Samuel was a factor.

Just now, Buddha said:

half the defense is skipping the bowl game.  theyre going to get worked.

I honestly haven’t paid much attention to everything. I know Gary isn’t playing (and he shouldn’t), and obviously Solomon won’t be playing. I think I heard that bush isn’t going to play. Is winovich sitting out, too?

I don’t fault any of these kids for sitting out a meaningless game. These bowl games are all so dumb. 

I wonder if they were playing in the rose bowl if it would be different. I don’t think it would change anything, but who knows. The rose bowl doesn’t mean a whole lot these days. 

I think the way the bowl games are being ignored by players and fans is going to help in expanding the playoff field to eight teams. But I also question how quickly they could expand the playoffs if they wanted to. Is there any reasonable scenario where they could have playoffs while still having conference championship games and still having the bowl games we currently have? There are a lot of contracts and money involved. 

I suppose the easiest solution would be to keep the conference championship games and play the first round on the next Saturday. So the first round could have been played on Friday/Saturday on the weekend of the 8th this year. They played the army/navy game that day so I guess it’s possible. 

You would have to consider whether the four teams that lose would have a bowl destination. On the one hand, you currently have teams that lost their final game going to bowls, of course, like Michigan and Georgia and Texas. On the other hand, does being in the playoff and then losing change the mindset and narrative so much that the bowls they go to become a man even bigger afterthought than they already are? Maybe, maybe not. 

If michigan went to Clemson as the 7 seed on December 8 and lost, and Washington, osu, and Oklahoma all lost their road games, are you still sending those four teams to the rose bowl and peach bowl this year?

I honestly haven’t paid much attention to everything. I know Gary isn’t playing (and he shouldn’t), and obviously Solomon won’t be playing. I think I heard that bush isn’t going to play. Is winovich sitting out, too?

I don’t fault any of these kids for sitting out a meaningless game. These bowl games are all so dumb. 

I wonder if they were playing in the rose bowl if it would be different. I don’t think it would change anything, but who knows. The rose bowl doesn’t mean a whole lot these days. 

I think the way the bowl games are being ignored by players and fans is going to help in expanding the playoff field to eight teams. But I also question how quickly they could expand the playoffs if they wanted to. Is there any reasonable scenario where they could have playoffs while still having conference championship games and still having the bowl games we currently have? There are a lot of contracts and money involved. 

I suppose the easiest solution would be to keep the conference championship games and play the first round on the next Saturday. So the first round could have been played on Friday/Saturday on the weekend of the 8th this year. They played the army/navy game that day so I guess it’s possible. 

You would have to consider whether the four teams that lose would have a bowl destination. On the one hand, you currently have teams that lost their final game going to bowls, of course, like Michigan and Georgia and Texas. On the other hand, does being in the playoff and then losing change the mindset and narrative so much that the bowls they go to become a man even bigger afterthought than they already are? Maybe, maybe not. 

If michigan went to Clemson as the 7 seed on December 8 and lost, and Washington, osu, and Oklahoma all lost their road games, are you still sending those four teams to the rose bowl and peach bowl this year?

I'd assume Florida's elite NFL caliber players are sitting out too. 

why is a bowl game any less important than a regular season game?  it counts in the records.  its on national tv.

i get why players going pro dont want to play and risk injury, but then why play against indiana or minnesota?  why play a game once you've lost and are out of contention for a championship?  

whats the difference?

i heard that hill and long are also not playing.

47 minutes ago, Buddha said:

i heard that hill and long are also not playing.

I don't see why the D should have to show up for the bowl game when no-one made them show up for Indiana or OSU.