Oblong

Chelios leaving Detroit

https://www.nhl.com/redwings/news/a-statement-from-chris-chelios/c-299529512

Detroit, MI…Chris Chelios, a legendary member of the Detroit Red Wings since 1999 as a player, advisor and ambassador for the team, announced today that he will be leaving the organization to return to his hometown of Chicago to be closer to family.

"I would like to thank everyone in the Red Wings organization, starting with the Ilitch family - Mrs. Ilitch, Chris Ilitch, and, of course, the late Mr. I. There's a reason the Red Wings are so revered around the National Hockey League and it starts at the top with ownership. The Ilitch family's dedication and passion for both the Red Wings and the city of Detroit is second-to-none. I would also like to personally thank Ken Holland for everything he has done for me. I've learned so much from him, both as a player and during my time on the management side. Ken is a world-class general manager and he's an even better friend and mentor. I have no doubt the Red Wings will be Stanley Cup contenders again in the near future.

I've thoroughly enjoyed being a part of the Red Wings organization over the last 19 years. Admittedly, I was skeptical about the 1999 trade that brought me to Detroit. As a Chicago guy who was playing for the Blackhawks at the time, we despised those Detroit teams of the 1990's. After the trade, however, things changed quickly and I began to feel right at home. What an unbelievable experience, playing on some of the greatest teams in league history, with some of the greatest players of all-time. I consider myself extremely lucky to have been a part of it all. The Cup-winning teams in 2002 and 2008 are the obvious highlights, but I'm grateful for every chance I had to put on a Red Wings sweater.

For me, this is an opportunity to move back to Chicago to be closer to family, and in particular my mother. I began to seriously consider moving home last February after the passing of my father. Now that my children have all graduated, it seems like the ideal time for my wife, Tracee, and I to make the move.

To the fans in Detroit - I want to say thank you. You embraced me from day one. My experience in Detroit was a lot of fun and we definitely had some unforgettable times together. Just know that I won't be a stranger. I plan on visiting the area whenever I can, especially now that my son, Jake, is playing in the Wings organization."

Since I don't live in the area, does he not have his bar/restaurant in Detroit anymore?

34 minutes ago, Oblong said:

Can't his mom move here?

I guess you haven't been there yet. ;)

1 hour ago, Biff Mayhem said:

Since I don't live in the area, does he not have his bar/restaurant in Detroit anymore?

Yes.  He also had one in Dearborn but they closed it about 5 or 6 years ago.

On game night it's really booming.  Drove by over the winter on a Saturday night and downtown was very busy.  Cheli's was closed.

Not sure how the overall take is given they are prone to close like that but maybe the other days make up for it.  Not sure attendance at LCA means much for them.  Nobody's going.

Athletes are almost like actors I think. Some of them put on a different personality when they play, almost as if they are on a stage. Chelios was anything but a nice guy on the ice, but everything you see or hear about him, his life away playing, says he is a pretty good guy. Good luck to  him with Mom.

I often saw him signing autographs, for free, at his restuarant before Tigers games.  just sitting there at a picnic table.  He'd have pucks and photos there.  No signs or anything advertising it.  

the people i know who have been around chelios when he's been out said he is very nice, especially to women.  lots of women.  lots and lots and lots of women.

there was that photo with him and I think Zumaya at a sorority party....

I also once saw him and Bobby Higginson get into a limo from Hockeytown

Two points:

- I keep forgetting that Chelios was on the '08 team

- I've always wanted to ride a stationary bike in a sauna with Chelios

Anyone read the Carlos Monarrez piece on Chelios in the Free Press.    It was ridiculous.   It was a full-on attack on Chelios implying that he planned to leave the Wings for the Blackhawks all along and that joining his mother was an excuse.    So what if it is?   Chicago is his home town and he was going to end up moving back there at some point anyway.  Of course he's going to have something to do with the Blackhawks.  I don't think a single person in the Wings organization holds any ill will towards the man.  

Carlos has become a joke.   

On 7/25/2018 at 6:27 PM, Motor City Sonics said:

Anyone read the Carlos Monarrez piece on Chelios in the Free Press.

I'm not sure why someone would put themselves through that.

22 minutes ago, drownwithyou said:

I'm not sure why someone would put themselves through that.

It's like watching Intervention.   You know you shouldn't but it does make you feel that, as out of control as your life may be, you ain't that bad.  

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, Mr. Bigglesworth said:

Mike Valenti spent 30 minutes trashing that article and tried to get Woj to admit it was terrible.

He was right and I know writers don't like to bag on each other, but it was due.  Carlos has become a joke.  

yeah it was very bad.... I didn't think anyone else cared enough to post about it.

The "job" with the Blackhawks is just a token thing anyway isn't it?

33 minutes ago, Oblong said:

yeah it was very bad.... I didn't think anyone else cared enough to post about it.

The "job" with the Blackhawks is just a token thing anyway isn't it?

But what if it wasn't?    So what?   Dude can't work where he wants?   He can't go work for his hometown team?    Scotty Bowman went to the Blackhawks.  Anyone resent him for it?  I sure don't.   Chelios gave us some great years here and won a Cup with us.  He owes us nothing.  

I don't understand the ire here.   Carlos seems to be upset because he believes Chelios already had something worked out.   Why would that be an issue in any way, shape or form?   The whole column was total nonsense.   Much of his stuff is these days and I am starting to wonder why he is still employed.  Maybe he's trying to fill the wet blanket role that Drew Sharp had but Drew usually had a point.   

Writing he doesn't own any Red Wings gear but he's going to buy a Chelios #24 sweater so he can burn it?   I know that's not true, but it's a very histrionic take there and it's stupid.   I don't see this as a humor piece, but if it was,  it lacked the funny part.    I don't get it.  I've never heard anything but really, really good things about Chelios' relationship with the local media and I don't know if Carlos knows him personally or what, but I am under the impression he does.  This is his take?   Bizarre. 

He trolled you and you fell for it. 

• Thanks 1

A follow up article in either the freep or News pointed out that Chelios talked about doing this for a long time with the Ilitch family.  He moved home.  Has to take care of his mom.  We have elderly parents and aunts/uncles.  We know the drill.  Have to shuttle them around to things.  Be there for phone calls.  Maybe bring in the garbage cans if teh neighbor didn't do it.  Why should he forgo that in order to satisfy a sports writer?  If his kids are done and he has no other reason to be here then go...

So he gets to Chicago and the blackhawks call him up and offer him $100,000 a year to be an ambassador.  You show up to games, visit suites, go to season ticket holder lunches, make the sponsors happy.... why not?

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Mr. Bigglesworth said:

That's basically my job now, except I grace engineering meetings.

Half my day is spent in "sit and pretend to listen" meetings, which is where MTS comes in particularly handy.