This is surprising to me, but only two players in Detroit Tigers history had a season in which they batted over .300 with 20+ HR and 20+ SB.

Can you name them?

~K

Somewhat related, Kirk Gibson from 1984-1988 averaged 27 HR, 30 SB and 0.282 per season but did not hit 0.300 in any season in that timeframe (and only hit .300 once in his career, the strike shortened season of 1981).

we had this shortstop guy that was pretty good,  stupid writers didn't think he belonged in the HOF though.

('87: 343/28/21)

Fans always ***** that he should have won the MVP that year, and while he was clearly better than Bell, I'd argue Boggs had an even better season.

@Mr. Bigglesworth and @Gehringer_2 are correct.

Alan Trammell's 1987 season:        .343/28/21
Curtis Granderson's 2007 season:  .302/23/26

I remember how many in Detroit were mad that Granderson wasn't MVP in 2007 when Jimmy Rollins had a similar season in the NL and won the award.

I'm still amazed with all the great Tigers in the franchise that this hasn't happened more frequently.  I mean, only seven Tigers have had a season with a .300 batting average with 15+ home runs and stolen bases.

~K

Home run hitters usually don't have the speed to steal bases.

Plus there have been eras where either power or stealing were not emphasized, so there have been guys who could have stolen more bases or possibly hit more HR, but they did not because they were told to focus on other things.

.300 average is pretty rare as well.  Probably 15% hitters or less manage a .300 average in a given season.

1 hour ago, Mr. Bigglesworth said:

Fans always ***** that he should have won the MVP that year, and while he was clearly better than Bell, I'd argue Boggs had an even better season.

That's an uncomfortable truth...

2dt1rb.jpg

1 hour ago, Mr. Bigglesworth said:

You could have gone either way on Trammell and Boggs and it would not have been a bad choice.  Bell was a terrible choice.  Boggs clearly hit better than Trammell.  They both fielded well, but a good fielding shortstop has more value than a good fielding third baseman and a 155 OPS+ for a shortstop was truely remarkable at that time.  Trammell was also a much better base runner than Boggs.   For what it's worth, B-Ref has them as even .  FanGraphs gives Boggs the edge.  

38 minutes ago, Kari Smith said:

I remember how many in Detroit were mad that Granderson wasn't MVP in 2007 when Jimmy Rollins had a similar season in the NL and won the award.

I'm still amazed with all the great Tigers in the franchise that this hasn't happened more frequently.  I mean, only seven Tigers have had a season with a .300 batting average with 15+ home runs and stolen bases.

~K

Granderson did not deserve the MVP in 2007.  ARod was a better choice and was deserving of the MVP.

Ordonez was similar value as Curtis, and as I recall the bigger uproar (to the extent there was an uproar) involved Magglio not getting the MVP rather than Curtis.

Rollins was a worse choice for NL MVP than Curtis would have been for the AL.  FWIW.

2 hours ago, Kari Smith said:

This is surprising to me, but only two players in Detroit Tigers history had a season in which they batted over .300 with 20+ HR and 20+ SB.

Can you name them?

~K

I know that Alan Trammell did it.  So that's two.

P.S. I just read the whole thread and see that someone beat me to it.  Still, better late than never.

20 minutes ago, Mr. Bigglesworth said:

Granderson did not deserve the MVP in 2007.  ARod was a better choice and was deserving of the MVP.

Ordonez was similar value as Curtis, and as I recall the bigger uproar (to the extent there was an uproar) involved Magglio not getting the MVP rather than Curtis.

Rollins was a worse choice for NL MVP than Curtis would have been for the AL.  FWIW.

The big uproar was that the only two writers who voted for Ordonez were both Detroit writers.  I don't remember many people thinking Granderson should have been the MVP.  He had a really cool season with the quad 20, but not an MVP season (nor did Ordonez).  

On 7/11/2018 at 11:25 AM, tiger337 said:

The big uproar was that the only two writers who voted for Ordonez were both Detroit writers.  I don't remember many people thinking Granderson should have been the MVP.  He had a really cool season with the quad 20, but not an MVP season (nor did Ordonez).  

Yeah in Keith Law's book which was written almost 10 years after the fact he still mocked those voters but looking at I don't think it's that crazy.  While A-Rod certainly deserved it Magglio did put up an 8 win season while being consistent all year having a 176rc+ or more every month except for one.    Also if you used a different defensive metric his WAR could've been even higher.   

I just saw this online so I figure I'd post it here.   There are 4 pitchers in MLB history that have registered 1000K for both an American and National League team, two of them are former Tigers.  Name them.  

9 hours ago, RandyMarsh said:

I just saw this online so I figure I'd post it here.   There are 4 pitchers in MLB history that have registered 1000K for both an American and National League team, two of them are former Tigers.  Name them.  

Nolan Ryan, Randy Johnson, Max Scherzer and Pedro Martinez are my thoughts but that is only one former Tiger. 

24 minutes ago, Mr. Bigglesworth said:

Bunning and Scherzer are the Tigers, I'd wager.

Yep.  Of course Scherzer was a gimmie but I wouldn't have guessed Bunning.  

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, RandyMarsh said:

Yep.  Of course Scherzer was a gimmie but I wouldn't have guessed Bunning.  

LOL - it was the opposite for me, I knew Bunning but wasn't sure Max had 1000K in the AL before he left Det. Bunning  was a heck of a pitcher. Threw very hard, but was an almost comical fielder because he was very out of balance/control on this follow through. He was moved in one of the Tigers' worst trades ever. I'd guess he had ticked off Briggs - he was the kind of guy that would - as his later political career demonstrated.

23 minutes ago, Gehringer_2 said:

LOL - it was the opposite for me, I knew Bunning but wasn't sure Max had 1000K in the AL before he left Det. Bunning  was a heck of a pitcher. Threw very hard, but was an almost comical fielder because he was very out of balance/control on this follow through. He was moved in one of the Tigers' worst trades ever. I'd guess he had ticked off Briggs - he was the kind of guy that would - as his later political career demonstrated.

Anibal actually crossed my mind but when I looked up his stats I was surprised by how relatively few K's he had with us.  I also thought he played a season longer for us than he did.   I was thinking we traded for him in 2011, not 2012. 

1 hour ago, Gehringer_2 said:

Bunning probably had the gall to demand a high salary.

38 minutes ago, Mr. Bigglesworth said:

Bunning probably had the gall to demand a high salary.

exactamundo.

On 7/11/2018 at 10:31 AM, Kari Smith said:

~K

I don’t remember a single person thinking granderson should have won the mvp in 2007.