six-hopper

Triple Crown Watch

J.D. Martinez has been hot pretty much all season, but he has been on a real tear lately.

He leads the Majors in Home Runs (28) and RBIs (77), and he is third in the Majors and the American League in Batting Average  at .331, behind only Jose Altuve (.337) and Mookie Betts (.344).

This seems like a pretty legitimate thread for the MLB forum though.  It's not like he put it in the Tigers forum. 

1 hour ago, tiger337 said:

This seems like a pretty legitimate thread for the MLB forum though.  It's not like he put it in the Tigers forum. 

I'm taking a class in Appropriate Forum Choice.  The instructor says that I am not a natural at it, but he's cautiously optimistic about my chances of getting the hang of it.

If he does it the 2014 Tigers could say that they had four CY Young winners, three MVPs and two Triple Crown winners yet they couldn't win a single playoff game.

1 hour ago, RandyMarsh said:

If he does it the 2014 Tigers could say that they had four CY Young winners, three MVPs and two Triple Crown winners yet they couldn't win a single playoff game.

Yeah, they pitched and hit like **** in that series against the Baltimore Orioles. And Delmon had a big hit against us. 

On 7/10/2018 at 12:29 PM, six-hopper said:

J.D. Martinez has been hot pretty much all season, but he has been on a real tear lately.

He leads the Majors in Home Runs (28) and RBIs (77), and he is third in the Majors and the American League in Batting Average  at .331, behind only Jose Altuve (.337) and Mookie Betts (.344).

Update:

J.D. now leads the American League (and the Majors) in Batting Average and RBIs, and is one jack behind the leader in home runs.

Update:

As I'm sure many of you know, J.D. Martinez has a chance to be not only the second player since 1967 to win the Triple Crown in his league, but the first since Mickey Mantle in 1956 to win the Major League Triple Crown -- i.e., leading the Majors in all three Triple Crown categories.

He looks like a lock for the RBI title -- he leads Kris Davis by a dozen (122-110).  He is tied with Davis for the home run lead, with 41.  And he is second in the Majors in Batting Average, 10 points behind his teammate Mookie Betts ( .330 - .340).  L of a season.

It might not have a fancy name like Triple Crown but what Jose Ramirez is doing is even more impressive, in the past 100 years only 1 person has led the league in both homers and steals and right now Ramirez has a chance to accomplish that.  He is currently 3 back in HR and 5 back in SBs.