Jump to content

Sign in to follow this  
Motor City Sonics

The Godfather or Goodfellas?

Recommended Posts

Which one is better?   Which one do you like more?      I only ask this because they were just on back-to-back on AMC.  So guess what I'm hooked into today. 

Both movies are in my top 5 along with Breaking Away, Raising Arizona and Trainspotting (my apologies to Shawshank GF Part II and Unforgiven).   

Most of my life I said the Godfather but more lately I have grown to like Goodfellas more.       The Godfather is centered around the family and the Goodfellas is centered around the business of it all.   The business of it is more compelling, though less tragic.   They aren't that much alike, but they cover the same world.   Godfather is the slow burn,  Goodfellas is more stylistic with more camera movement, more edits (brilliant editing by the way) and a great soundtrack.   

Donnie Brasco,  Miller's Crossing, Godfather II are also great.     If they took Godfather III and edited it down and found a way to digitally put in a better actress than Sophia Coppola, it would actually be a pretty good movie.   Too bad Winona Ryder dropped out of that part last minute.   I think GF III just overreached with it's length and soap opera subplots.  

I never considered A Bronx Tale to be a mob movie.  That was a coming of age movie with mob undertones in it.    The Departed is more of a cops vs. gangsters chess game.  Carlito's Way is more about personal redemption.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

GFIII could have been a great movie but Coppola either got greedy or didn't get enough time.  It's a great example of how writing and editing can ruin a movie.  It's sort of like the Star Wars prequels.  The general outline is there.  You needed a good scriptwriter there to tweak certain dialogue to fit the actors.  Montegna and Andy Garcia were pretty good.  I don't think Ryder would have saved it. Even Pacino wasn't good.  The whole demeanor of Michael changed with his voice and that silly hairstyle.  He didn't come across as cunning. How could a guy who evolved from the end of II to what we see in III, what is it 18 years, still have been in power?

Anyone read the 2 novels? I thought they were pretty good.  Godfather Returns and Godfather's revenge.  Those would have been some great movies.  There was also a book written about Vito after the earlier events in II.

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, Oblong said:

GFIII could have been a great movie but Coppola either got greedy or didn't get enough time.  It's a great example of how writing and editing can ruin a movie.  It's sort of like the Star Wars prequels.  The general outline is there.  You needed a good scriptwriter there to tweak certain dialogue to fit the actors.  Montegna and Andy Garcia were pretty good.  I don't think Ryder would have saved it. Even Pacino wasn't good.  The whole demeanor of Michael changed with his voice and that silly hairstyle.  He didn't come across as cunning. How could a guy who evolved from the end of II to what we see in III, what is it 18 years, still have been in power?

Anyone read the 2 novels? I thought they were pretty good.  Godfather Returns and Godfather's revenge.  Those would have been some great movies.  There was also a book written about Vito after the earlier events in II.

 

 

He became Al Pacino instead of being Michael Corleone.     He was closer to Ricky Roma in III than he was to Michael Corleone.    I do think there is a good, much shorter, movie in there.     I would have like to seen more depth to Joey Zasa, he was kind of cartoonish and could have lived without the whole poison cannoli.     

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Godfather is tighter and just a little better overall IMO. Every scene is important if not iconic. Goodfellas is a little more fun early on, but ends with a sputter. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It’s godfather and it’s not particularly close. By including goodfellas, you may as well include Scarface, casino, reservoir dogs, Donnie Brasco, and carlito’s way. Oh, and Copland. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I hated Casino.  Don't know why but it just seemed like the Goodfellas gang got together again, fatter, richer... and half assed a reunion.  Joe Pesci's narration was a joke.  It was like a guy impersonating Joe Pesci.

Copland (or is it Cop Land) was very good.  One of my favorites.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Casino seemed that way because that is what it was.

I watched it about a year ago and I will say the suits / ties that DeNiro wore throughout were top-shelf.  That was one **** of a wardrobe.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I always thought Goodfellas was a bit overrated, I mean I liked it and all but I wouldn't put it anywhere near Godfather or Godfather Part 2.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, Oblong said:

I hated Casino.  Don't know why but it just seemed like the Goodfellas gang got together again, fatter, richer... and half assed a reunion.  Joe Pesci's narration was a joke.  It was like a guy impersonating Joe Pesci.

Copland (or is it Cop Land) was very good.  One of my favorites.

 

I never saw Copland as a mobster movie.  It's a dirty cop movie with a lot of guys who have been in mobster movies.    I like the way they shot the climax scene.......no spoilers........

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Motor City Sonics said:

I never saw Copland as a mobster movie.  It's a dirty cop movie with a lot of guys who have been in mobster movies.    I like the way they shot the climax scene.......no spoilers........

I think between Copland, the sopranos and goodfellas you had about 30 actors in common.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I love the Godfather but the pacing of the movie is so sloooooooooow. It feels like you're watching a six hour movie. With Goodfellas, it is high energy and action packed like a Henry Hill cocaine binge. It also has arguably my favorite movie soundtrack of all time. The way Scorsese uses iconic music to tell his tale is masterful as well. Add onto that, I can quote the whole movie and ruin it for anyone watching it with me.

When they clip Billy Batts and he's kicking around in the trunk while their having dinner at Tommy's mom's house, then she pulls out the painting. I laugh so hard at that scene every time when Jimmy points to the old man in the painting and says "looks like someone we know." Classic!

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I like Godfather II better than Godfather I

Goodfellas is better than both

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, Mr.TaterSalad said:

I love the Godfather but the pacing of the movie is so sloooooooooow. It feels like you're watching a six hour movie. With Goodfellas, it is high energy and action packed like a Henry Hill cocaine binge. It also has arguably my favorite movie soundtrack of all time. The way Scorsese uses iconic music to tell his tale is masterful as well. Add onto that, I can quote the whole movie and ruin it for anyone watching it with me.

When they clip Billy Batts and he's kicking around in the trunk while their having dinner at Tommy's mom's house, then she pulls out the painting. I laugh so hard at that scene every time when Jimmy points to the old man in the painting and says "looks like someone we know." Classic!

Then you should LOOOOOVE this.  

 

  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

On a similar note.... David Chase gave some info on his Sopranos prequel movie.  Will focus on Dickie Moltosanti, Christopher's father, and a big influence on Tony, along with Johnny Boy and Uncle Junior.  Little Tony will be featured.  He said it was be the glory days of the mafia before "the guys started wearing track suits".  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Always a classic compilation . . . Especially when Silvio tells the Bevalaquia kid "I stick mother f*cking provolone in my socks so they smell like your sister's crotch in the morning."

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Mr.TaterSalad said:

Always a classic compilation . . . Especially when Silvio tells the Bevalaquia kid "I stick mother f*cking provolone in my socks so they smell like your sister's crotch in the morning."

 

Been catching the marathon on one of the HBO channels.............forgot how great this show was. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
32 minutes ago, Motor City Sonics said:

Been catching the marathon on one of the HBO channels.............forgot how great this show was. 

All I know is, I'm not Kevin Finnerty.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  

×