Keepleyland2

7/7 @4:10 p.m. Texas Rangers vs Detroit Tigers

7-1 going to bottom 8.

Hardy works out of a jam - around 33-35 pitches.  I lost track with all the foul balls.

while all of this was going on I was enduring Jurassic World: The Ironic anti-capitalist message film in which capitalists nakedly strive to squeeze you of your summer dollar by exploiting your children's love of dinosaurs which should do nothin' but fuel our cars

Its a long title

I just realized I have two things to be grateful for. I will be in a remote area and unable to pick up the All-Star game when it’s on, and like Miggy I have a ruptured bicep but it has never affected my ability to play major-league baseball.  I’m like Lou Gehrig.  I’m the luckiest man alive. 

17 minutes ago, LooseGoose said:

Another hit for my other new favorite Victor Reyes.

no homers or walks yet; but there looks to be something there

52 minutes ago, LooseGoose said:

Goodrum is hitting around .400 for July.   If he could walk a couple times his OBP would be through the roof.

Either way if he keeps that pace up we might have something.

during the Dombrowki era did we ever have a low cost pick up like Goodrum or Martin who could actually play? If there were it wasn't many. That was the thing about DD, there were areas he just didn't care about and mining for discards was one of them. It's true picking up discards may be small potatoes compared block buster trades to bring in Cy Young pitchers, but considering how close the Tigers missed a couple of times,  maybe a little more attention so some of the little stuff would have been the difference.

Good win today. Winning is so much better than losing.

9 minutes ago, RatkoVarda said:

no homers or walks yet; but there looks to be something there

This is may a silly unquantifiable thing - but he just looks smoother and more comfortable.   Is it because he's hitting or is he hitting because of it?  Either way he is starting to look the part of a MLB player.

7 minutes ago, Gehringer_2 said:

during the Dombrowki era did we ever have a low cost pick up like Goodrum or Martin who could actually play? If there were it wasn't many. That was the thing about DD, there were areas he just didn't care about and mining for discards was one of them. It's true picking up discards may be small potatoes compared block buster trades to bring in Cy Young pitchers, but considering how close the Tigers missed a couple of times,  maybe a little more attention so some of the little stuff would have been the difference.

JD.   But the word there was always that Avila was the one championing him.

6 minutes ago, LooseGoose said:

JD.   But the word there was always that Avila was the one championing him.

right - exception that proves the rule.

And I know it opens me to some snark here but I really do enjoy watching these kids play.   They all seem to enjoy the game and I think are very aware this is their big chance to establish themselves in MLB.

Either way I look forward to the next few years as more kids make their debut.

1 hour ago, LooseGoose said:

And I know it opens me to some snark here but I really do enjoy watching these kids play.   They all seem to enjoy the game and I think are very aware this is their big chance to establish themselves in MLB.

that's how I'm looking at it. It doesn't mean i don't have a sour feeling after a losing streak.  I know there will be growing pains.  

1 hour ago, LooseGoose said:

I really like Goodrum and Hicks and I think that they would be useful guys on a good team - not starters, but 400 AB guys.  And Reyes, I want to see him play a lot more than he has.

3 hours ago, Walewander said:

So, any takers on Fiers? 

Oh I certainly think so.  Everybody seems to think that Happ is the starter that will get the best package in return and they are probably right, but you'd think that with as solid as he has been, somebody would give something up, something more than for Wilson/Avila.  I guess that the problem is that there are so few buyers - there are a few elite teams, and then everybody else sucks.

Today's buddy act of Fiers/Hardy might be interesting to somebody.

1 hour ago, Charles Liston said:

I really like Goodrum and Hicks and I think that they would be useful guys on a good team - not starters, but 400 AB guys.  And Reyes, I want to see him play a lot more than he has.

I also think Hicks and Goodrum can be useful role players on good teams, although you know you're in trouble when Goodrum is your clean-up hitter.  

10 minutes ago, tiger337 said:

I also think Hicks and Goodrum can be useful role players on good teams, although you know you're in trouble when Goodrum is your clean-up hitter.  

Yes definitely, if Hicks and Goodrum are the heart of the order we're in trouble.  But they are just so darned valuable on a good team.  Picture the two of them on a 4-man bench on a good team, along with a glove man to back up SS-2B and a 4th OF who is a LH batter.  That's a heck of a good bench.

What's wrong with me?  I'm planning for a good bench.

1 hour ago, Charles Liston said:

Oh I certainly think so.  Everybody seems to think that Happ is the starter that will get the best package in return and they are probably right, but you'd think that with as solid as he has been, somebody would give something up, something more than for Wilson/Avila.  I guess that the problem is that there are so few buyers - there are a few elite teams, and then everybody else sucks.

Today's buddy act of Fiers/Hardy might be interesting to somebody.

the only constraint on Fiers is that he needs a team with a deep pen because he is going to give you mostly short starts - at least if your plan is to get him out of there before things fall apart.

On 7/6/2018 at 10:12 PM, Keepleyland2 said:

68_Horton.jpg

That swing just exudes power.  The lunge stance.  The extended bat.  The physique.  The visualization of Horton watching the ball.

15 minutes ago, Casimir said:

That swing just exudes power.  The lunge stance.  The extended bat.  The physique.  The visualization of Horton watching the ball.

The legs like tree trunks........as the announcers used to say.