Keepleyland2

7/6 @7:10 p.m. Texas Rangers vs Detroit Tigers

Dear Gardy,   DON'T YOU DARE TAKE HIM OUT OF THIS GAME........  Only 85 pitches.

I guess Zimmermann on 5 days rest is the key.   They'll have to work around that. 

Just now, Motor City Sonics said:

I had the volume down........................Did Yaz die or something? 

No,. Gibby doing his best fielders at each position.

1 minute ago, Motor City Sonics said:

Dear Gardy,   DON'T YOU DARE TAKE HIM OUT OF THIS GAME........  Only 85 pitches.

I guess Zimmermann on 5 days rest is the key.   They'll have to work around that. 

Agreed. We need to leave him in for the ineffective portion of his start so we can keep piling up the Ls. 

One of my earliest memories from childhood was my uncle from Boston singing this song around the house.   I would sing along not even knowing who Yaz was (I was about 4 at the time). 

Barry Bonds #2,  except for one very key throw  (I know, I know, he slipped as he threw it, but still, Sid Bream?)

4 minutes ago, Shelton said:

Agreed. We need to leave him in for the ineffective portion of his start so we can keep piling up the Ls. 

Sorry, he deserves to own this game if it's a win or a loss.   If he loses it, fine.    Don't want to see someone else come in and screw it up.   If he keeps pitching like he has with 5 days rest, who knows what could happen by the end of next month - even if the Tigers have to eat some of the money.  

Off the bat that looked like another hit for Reyes....nice catch by Andrus on the liner.

26 minutes ago, sabretooth said:

t's no dream, Zimmermann is a very effective pitcher at fhis point.

He has a decent fastball and effective slider and a rejuvenated curve....even with a little k-to-swinging strike regression, the current performance level is sustainable.

yeah  - it's nice to see what they paid all that money for. To bad we didn't see it when it might have helped get us to a WS, but better late than never. The Question with Zimm is, as always, can/will he now keep it up for a while?

Nice we won

It would be cool if Zimmermann could stay healthy and pitch well until next year's trade deadline, maybe we could dump him then

28 minutes ago, Gehringer_2 said:

yeah  - it's nice to see what they paid all that money for. To bad we didn't see it when it might have helped get us to a WS, but better late than never. The Question with Zimm is, as always, can/will he now keep it up for a while?

Barring injury, I don't see why not.  He has delivered consistently good performance before and after his DL stint this year so far.

Given the absurd amount of Ks in baseball now, I'm not sure that his high K rate is not sustainable, even without a lot of swinging Ks.

His repertoire is strong now, mostly because his fastball went from nowhere to halfway decent, which allows him to get ahead in the count without getting pounded and into situations to showcase the curve more effectively. 

As always, health is the thing, especially with this pitcher.

Nice clean game by Zimm and the kids.  How long before he's shipped?

52 minutes ago, ktpinnacle said:

Nice clean game by Zimm and the kids.  How long before he's shipped?

the injuries and the money still make it very unlikely he will be moved; we should just be happy with 20-25 decent starts a year

19 minutes ago, RatkoVarda said:

the injuries and the money still make it very unlikely he will be moved; we should just be happy with 20-25 decent starts a year

I guess it depends on the Tiger priorities. I don't think trading him would contribute directly to the rebuild. If he stays healthy for a while they might get someone to take most of his contract but it seems unlikely they would get anything of value player-wise beyond that.

I’m so disengaged right now I didn’t realize they were playing a game until I checked it long after it was over.  Nice win, and nice to see Zimmerman be something of what we had hoped he would be.   I am going to be outside of my normal immediate communication range for most of the next two weeks so I hope when I check in again this team will have done something surprisingly good. 

Snippet......

There were no hard feelings on Zimmermann’s end. He was all smiles at his locker after the game, and rightfully so. No one is having more fun in the Detroit rotation right now, as his 11-strikeout performance added to an impressive stretch that rivals any in his Tigers tenure.

Zimmermann has a 1.22 ERA in his past six starts, dating to April 30 (recall: he missed most of May and some of June with a shoulder injury). That’s five earned runs, to go with a 0.70 WHIP and a 6.8 K/BB rate. Ace-caliber stuff.

On 7/6/2018 at 8:12 PM, RatkoVarda said:

It was a pavlovian response more than anything.