six-hopper

The 2018 minor league performance of the guys we got for J.D. Martinez

I work with goalies on my sons' teams, and every practice I give goalies 5 minutes of shots in set areas in a set progression.

Granted it is youth development as opposed to professionals (though professionals typically have a set warm up as well), but I do it just to work on the different type of saves and give the goalie confidence that he can make them.

Similarly, I think batting practice is largely a confidence builder for the hitter / an opportunity to fine tune.

Alcantara HR yesterday.....he's had a very strong July .323/.391/.414.....be interesting to see what he does in August.

48 minutes ago, Lei Pong said:

Alcantara HR yesterday.....he's had a very strong July .323/.391/.414.....be interesting to see what he does in August.

In the recent article on the athletic, there was an interesting quote from a scout on Alcantara where he said that he could see him being an all star down the road, and that he’s a guy he would ask for in return in a potential trade. Of course, the tigers probably aren’t trading any prospects in the near future, but it’s nice to hear that he would be the type this guy would target. 

34 minutes ago, Shelton said:

In the recent article on the athletic, there was an interesting quote from a scout on Alcantara where he said that he could see him being an all star down the road, and that he’s a guy he would ask for in return in a potential trade. Of course, the tigers probably aren’t trading any prospects in the near future, but it’s nice to hear that he would be the type this guy would target. 

As long as we don't trade him for an Alfredo Simon.

I read that too and was pleased.  

On 7/4/2018 at 7:24 PM, six-hopper said:

Dawel Lugo:  326 Plate Appearances, 5 walks, 2 home runs

Sergio Alcantara:  274 Plate Appearances, 0 home runs, .656 OPS

Jose King:  36 Plate Appearances, 0 home runs, .570 OPS

Those are sure some sturdy rebuilding blocks.

Lugo now hitting over .350, could be a building block.

5 minutes ago, LooseGoose said:

Lugo now hitting over .350, could be a building block.

Sample size.  He also has zero walks.

9 minutes ago, Tenacious D said:

Sample size.  He also has zero walks.

Agree on the sample size but I've seen plenty of 23 year olds look overwhelmed, he looks confident.   If he keeps hitting .375 the walks won't be a huge issue 😉

• Like 1

I didn't want to start a new thread...but just related.....I am enjoying watching J.D.'s run at the triple crown.  I know offensive stats are inflated some with Boston, but he's .001 from the batting average lead, and 1 home run from the HR lead, and a sizeable lead in RBIs. 

Even with certain players gone, watching Max, Verlander, and JD do well away from Detroit....I still cheer for them....similar to Granderson.  All good players who have done nothing to get me mad at them....and I wish them well.

Anyhow....just eating my popcorn and watching the triple crown run.

3 minutes ago, dabeave said:

I didn't want to start a new thread...but just related.....I am enjoying watching J.D.'s run at the triple crown.  I know offensive stats are inflated some with Boston, but he's .001 from the batting average lead, and 1 home run from the HR lead, and a sizeable lead in RBIs. 

Even with certain players gone, watching Max, Verlander, and JD do well away from Detroit....I still cheer for them....similar to Granderson.  All good players who have done nothing to get me mad at them....and I wish them well.

Boston deflates offense.

8 hours ago, dabeave said:

Good Post!  I am rooting for JD to win the TC too ..and may root for the Red Sox to win it all.

I’m a bit annoyed that this is the year JD finally stayed healthy. This year is already the second highest number of games played in his career, and there are still 3-4 weeks left in the season. 

Would have been nice to have had full seasons from him in 2016 and 2017. 

Fenway Park does inflate offense a bit (especially batting average), but multi-year Park Factors don't really indicate that it's an extreme park like Coors or Yankee Stadium.  JD's season is legit.   

49 minutes ago, Shelton said:

I’m a bit annoyed that this is the year JD finally stayed healthy. This year is already the second highest number of games played in his career, and there are still 3-4 weeks left in the season. 

He finally has a non ausmus manager to take care of him 

43 minutes ago, tiger337 said:

Fenway Park does inflate offense a bit (especially batting average), but multi-year Park Factors don't really indicate that it's an extreme park like Coors or Yankee Stadium.  JD's season is legit.   

If I remember correctly, Fenway was a significantly more offensive park before some of the changes were made there, like adding seats above the Green Monster.  It still favors offense (2018 Park Factor of 1.090, seventh-highest in the Majors), but it is far from an "extreme" ballpark.  It actually depresses home runs somewhat (0.980 in "Jack Factor"), perhaps because of the deep right-center and the number of fly balls that hit the Monster.  (Not surprisingly, it is Number Two in friendliness for doubles, behind only Coors.)

Nationals Park, by the way, has the fifth-highest PF in baseball this year, at 1.145, slightly ahead of Yankee Stadium; and it is third-highest for Home Runs.  Which makes Max Scherzer's numbers even more impressive. 

2 hours ago, Shelton said:

We have Jose King Jr. now.

On ‎9‎/‎5‎/‎2018 at 3:51 PM, irvink said:

We have Jose King Jr. now.

Following in the footsteps of his dad.

Like Ortiz said about his time in MN before going to Boston.... "You want me to hit like a *****?"

35 minutes ago, tiger337 said:

Too many strikeouts.  Gardenhire would have told him choke up and spray the ball around the field.  

You have to get that runner over to 2nd, even if it means a dribbler to the right side. 

On 9/11/2018 at 8:56 PM, gmoney said:

Following in the footsteps of his dad.

Seems like his name oughta be Jose Prince