Sign in to follow this  
Motor City Sonics

The Deuce is Returning

Carlos wasn't much better at 2B either... he pulled a hammy just standing there.

• Haha 1

The LF experiment was pretty bad as well. 

My gosh, how did this guy play SS?

2 hours ago, six-hopper said:

"So is the Deuce playing first base?  He does not have a lot of experience there."

The only experience you need to play first base is learning where to put your fingers in a mitt that doesn't have any.

I would disagree.  I think John Hicks, as much as I appreciate his effort and baseball smarts, has cost us a couple of games directly with bad plays and probably has hurt us in smaller ways - not because he's bad, but because he's very inexperienced.    I think Cabrera is underrated defensively.  Maybe not the greatest range, but he plays the position well.      I think if first base was easy Nick would be playing there since he probably has more of a future there than in the OF.  

I saw a thing yesterday on twitter, I think from B-R, that Chris Gomez had the worst defense at SS in a season... the 1996 season.

Carlos Guillen at first was one of those things that seemed like it should have worked and it just didn't.

Just one of those things.

Carlos being a bad LF made more sense to me if he never played OF as a kid.  You just need so many thousands (tens of thousands?) fly balls hit to you to be able to read long fly balls reliably.

Speaking of SS defense I looked up Iggy's numbers and I was surprised to see such a disparity between his Drs and uzr this season. That led me to look at other Tiger fielders and they are all different as well.

Guys like Iggy, Martin and Candy grade out as either plus or plus plus according to UZR but only average or even negative according to drs.  I wonder why that is?

Wow, can you imagine Hanley & The Deuce in the same clubhouse?       Hanley & The Deuce - Tuesdays this Fall on ABC

10 minutes ago, Mr. Bigglesworth said:

Carlos being a bad LF made more sense to me if he never played OF as a kid.  You just need so many thousands (tens of thousands?) fly balls hit to you to be able to read long fly balls reliably.

Yes, that's understandable.