Sign in to follow this  
Deleterious

2018 Summer League

soooo....about henry ellenson....

21 hours ago, Deleterious said:

He shows just enough to make me feel like he could be a good rotational player, but not enough to where I am confident he will get there. 

Ellenson has shed some baby fat and he's moving better. His ball handling looks on-par with Stanimal now, which is great and sad at the same time.

His new shot has a high release, which is fantastic for a big.  Not fantastic, is he's bringing the ball down to his waist to start his shooting mechanism from deep.  We'll see how that works for him.

Thomas looks a lot like a young Reggie taking it to the cup.  I want to see more of him--maybe he can be Casey's new VanVleet at some point.

2 minutes ago, mickeyb105 said:

Ellenson has shed some baby fat and he's moving better. His ball handling looks on-par with Stanimal now, which is great and sad at the same time.

His new shot has a high release, which is fantastic for a big.  Not fantastic, is he's bringing the ball down to his waist to start his shooting mechanism from deep.  We'll see how that works for him.

Thomas looks a lot like a young Reggie taking it to the cup.  I want to see more of him--maybe he can be Casey's new VanVleet at some point.

That was the first thing that popped into my mind.  He seemed to be a bit slimmer, moving a bit more athletically and quickly.  But the quickness might have been an illusions vs other summer league players.

17 minutes ago, 313DetroitCity said:

He shows just enough to make me feel like he could be a good rotational player, but not enough to where I am confident he will get there. 

Maybe the new regime helps him?  Maybe Pachulia shoving him around in practice toughens him up a bit?  I don't know.

1 hour ago, Casimir said:

That was the first thing that popped into my mind.  He seemed to be a bit slimmer, moving a bit more athletically and quickly.  But the quickness might have been an illusions vs other summer league players.

He is definitely quicker.

That said, the SL defenders weren't doing much to disrupt his drives (coast-to-coast, at that) to the hoop.  Regular season NBA, this happens with much less frequency.

We'll see what Casey has in mind for Ellenson after the summer, but I bet he's going to give the kid a legit shot of proving himself early in the year. 

A highlight reel can make anyone looks passable, but in these games Ellenson looked atrocious. Shot broken and still isn't athletic enough to defend at PF or strong enough to rebound at C in the real league. If he had a stroke like Ryan Anderson maybe he could find his way to being a useful bench option on a team, but as it stands now I see no compelling reason to put him in a game unless your intent is get a higher draft pick at the end of the year.

Thomas looked promising as a 3 and D player. Solid length and athleticism. Looks like he can knock down the open jumper. Got into trouble when he tried to create his own. Not sure how much he can contribute this year, but it'll be nice to root for his development and see if he can make the big leap into cracking the lineup at some point.

Same for Brown who could have finished better at the rim, but showed flashes of aggressiveness on offense and tenacity/strength on defense that I really liked. It'll be interesting to see if he develops.

• Like 1

ellenson scores 13 points in a summer league game and all of a sudden he's a player? are the expectations for him that low?

1 hour ago, Buddha said:

ellenson scores 13 points in a summer league game and all of a sudden he's a player? are the expectations for him that low?

Whoa, who said there were any expectations for him at all?

• Like 1

ellenson was terrible again against the lakers.  for a guy in his third year in the summer league, his performance was disappointing.  the only difference between his third year in SL and stanley's was that ellenson didnt openly sulk that he had to go.  in henry's defense, the other teams did send a lot of double teams at him.  but if he's going to make it in the league he's going to have to score and he 1) looks to weak to score down low and 2) cant hit a 3 point shot.  not a good combination.

brown physically looks the part.  he's big and athletic.  however, the rest of his game is as advertised: he cant shoot and has trouble finishing.  he doesnt look like an nba point guard now.

i thought lofton looked ok.  unlike the rest of the team, he could finish at the rim.  probably enough for a grand rapids deal.

thomas didnt play again after looking like a good 3 and d prospect earlier.

1 hour ago, Buddha said:

ellenson was terrible again against the lakers.  for a guy in his third year in the summer league, his performance was disappointing.  the only difference between his third year in SL and stanley's was that ellenson didnt openly sulk that he had to go.  in henry's defense, the other teams did send a lot of double teams at him.  but if he's going to make it in the league he's going to have to score and he 1) looks to weak to score down low and 2) cant hit a 3 point shot.  not a good combination.

brown physically looks the part.  he's big and athletic.  however, the rest of his game is as advertised: he cant shoot and has trouble finishing.  he doesnt look like an nba point guard now.

i thought lofton looked ok.  unlike the rest of the team, he could finish at the rim.  probably enough for a grand rapids deal.

thomas didnt play again after looking like a good 3 and d prospect earlier.

Ellenson picked a bad time to rebuild his shot.  Teams wouldn't focus on him during the regular season, if there is a silver lining him him not being able to produce now as the focus of the offense.  But yeah, he needed to show out in SL and he didn't.

Brown seems like a shorter Stanley in a way.  Good defender and he rebounds like a 4, but let's hope he never has to run point.  Also, let's hope he spends most of the year in GR.

I heard Thomas was held out because of a hamstring, but maybe the staff has seen enough to know he's a possible rotation piece?