Sydney_Fife

Pistons sign Glenn Robinson III

Assume this is a chunk of the MLE. 

Robinson is 24 and showed flashes with Indiana before he got hurt. I’d prefer GR III to Ennis. 

I like it.

They only had about $4M to spend so they should be done now.

They needed a an athletic, 3&D forward with upside and they got it.  Ennis shot like 30% in a Detroit uniform, but put up comparable numbers otherwise.

It seems like they could have gambled on the very cheap for a player like this, but GRIII has upside and the shooting they want.

Career 38 percent three point shooter. 

PG: Reggie, Ish, Galloway

SG: Bullock, Kennard, Galloway 

SF: Johnson, GR III, Thomas 

PF: Griffin, Leuer, Ellenson 

C : Drummond, Moreland, Leuer 

I thought he was going to break out a bit last year, then he got hurt and only played about 20 games.  So we might be catching a break here.

Shot over 40% from three last year and can switch everything on defense.  

Just now, Sydney_Fife said:

If SJ can't find a shot, don't be shocked if GRIII starts.  

5 minutes ago, Sydney_Fife said:

switch stanley and griii.

And yes, it is a slight overpay for him.  But they only had $4M to spend.  So it's not like you're spending $2.5M on GRIII and finding a diamon in the rough for another $1.5M.  So they overpay a bit, but get the team option on the second year.  So if he breaks out a bit he will probably look cheap next season.  

a starting lineup featuring drummond and griffin is going to need shooting.  stanley cant give you that.  better to play stanley off the bench with leuer and let him play bully ball and get to the rim.

6 minutes ago, Buddha said:

a starting lineup featuring drummond and griffin is going to need shooting.  stanley cant give you that.  better to play stanley off the bench with leuer and let him play bully ball and get to the rim.

I agree.  I just wonder if Casey does.

He had to be dragged kicking and screaming into the three point era.  The coach that revamped his offense isn't with him in Detroit.  I hope he doesn't revert back to his old ways.  

I agree with starting GR III over Stanley. 

Stanley has always done better as a reserve. Robinson provides much needed shooting. Not sold on Johnson being such an unbelievable defender either. 

Will they use the trade exception? Believe it’s 7 million

13 minutes ago, Sydney_Fife said:

Stanley has always done better as a reserve. Robinson provides much needed shooting. Not sold on Johnson being such an unbelievable defender either. 

Will they use the trade exception? Believe it’s 7 million

They wont use the trade exception.

While it does let them trade for someone without sending matching salary out.  The salary coming in still counts against the cap.  And they are right at the luxury tax line ($1.7M below it) now.  So no way do they add more salary and go into the tax.  

1 hour ago, Sydney_Fife said:

IDK, I wouldn't knock Stanley's D, but there is such a thing as matching up. There are going to be nights you need D more than shooting and vice-versa.

1 hour ago, Gehringer_2 said:

IDK, I wouldn't knock Stanley's D, but there is such a thing as matching up. There are going to be nights you need D more than shooting and vice-versa.

Yeah, I agree with this.  I think I would play match up at SF.  Besides, Drummond was popping threes in the that video that was posted here a month or two ago.  The outside shooting on the starting 5 has been taken care of.

3 hours ago, Deleterious said:

If SJ can't find a shot, don't be shocked if GRIII starts.  

If?  Don't you mean when?

37 minutes ago, Casimir said:

The outside shooting on the starting 5 has been taken care of.

LOL. You know, should it happen, I don't even think I can think of a comparable change in any Detroit sports athlete. It would be way more unexpected and bizarre than say, Yzerman becoming a defender or Whittaker becoming a HR threat.

11 minutes ago, Gehringer_2 said:

LOL. You know, should it happen, I don't even think I can think of a comparable change in any Detroit sports athlete. It would be way more unexpected and bizarre than say, Yzerman becoming a defender or Whittaker becoming a HR threat.

Bonderman's changeup?

35 minutes ago, Deleterious said:

You're ruining NBA free agency with baseball talk.

What if I told you the FSD cameras caught a glimpse of SVG decked out in Tiger gear at the Detroit vs Toronto game today?

Not a bad use of the MLE, there's some upside with Robinson and I'm sure the Pistons will give him more playing time with their weakness on the wing.  Let somebody else overpay Ennis, he was horrendous in his time here.

8 hours ago, Gehringer_2 said:

stanley is a slightly above average defender and a god awful shooter.

in his defense, he's still very young and may eventually learn how to turn his physical gifts into points, but i doubt those gifts will include 3 point shots.

18 minutes ago, Buddha said:

stanley is a slightly above average defender and a god awful shooter.

in his defense, he's still very young and may eventually learn how to turn his physical gifts into points, but i doubt those gifts will include 3 point shots.

the odd thing is that he *thinks* he is a long range shooter - >40% of the shots he takes are 3s.