kj2018

Is it time to let Victor Ride Off into the Sunset??

At this point, he could be the difference between picking fifth and fourth. So, let him put up a -3.0 WAR. 

I would like to see Martinez do the 9 positions in 9 innings trick before the season is over.

• Like 1

And steal a base.  He might have to do it as a pinch runner, though, because we can't expect him to get on base through his own efforts.

6 hours ago, six-hopper said:

And steal a base.  He might have to do it as a pinch runner, though, because we can't expect him to get on base through his own efforts.

No I think that he'd probably hit for the cycle on the same night that he played all nine.

7 hours ago, Charles Liston said:

No I think that he'd probably hit for the cycle on the same night that he played all nine.

VMart .. last game of his career .. in order:

..2nd inning Single (1 RBI & later scored), 4th inning Double (2 RBI & later scored),  6th inning Triple (2 RBI & later scored), 9th inning Leadoff 'INTP' HR (1 RBI), .. finally a 9th inning 521' Walk-off Grand Slam HR (4 RBI) .. .. ..Tigers win 13-9.

5 AB, 5H, 14 TB, 5 RS, 10 RBI .. and tips his cap to the 11,017 fans in attendance.

7 hours ago, six-hopper said:

Where's my stolen base?

Stole home on the first pitch after his triple in the 6th inning...

8 hours ago, Tigrrfan said:

VMart .. last game of his career .. in order:

..2nd inning Single (1 RBI & later scored), 4th inning Double (2 RBI & later scored),  6th inning Triple (2 RBI & later scored), 9th inning Leadoff 'INTP' HR (1 RBI), .. finally a 9th inning 521' Walk-off Grand Slam HR (4 RBI) .. .. ..Tigers win 13-9.

5 AB, 5H, 14 TB, 5 RS, 10 RBI .. and tips his cap to the 11,017 fans in attendance.

Then the Tigers brass think to themselves that he's found it and still got it and sign him to a 4 year 80 million dollar extension. 

He might not get 5 hits in his last 50 ABs.  And for him to get a triple, all of the outfielders would have to fall down...........................twice.

22 hours ago, RandyMarsh said:

Then the Tigers brass think to themselves that he's found it and still got it and sign him to a 4 year 80 million dollar extension. 

LOL ... 😏

1 hour ago, Mr. Bigglesworth said:

For the extent posters lament Victor (justifiably so), it is pretty disappointing they don't have a clearly better option in the system.

As I recall, back in April and May he was blocking Christin Stewart.  Haven't heard much about that lately.

It is a direct reflection upon the Tiger organization-as-a-whole that VMart is the best option at DH in the entire organization.

Undoubtedly ..some may not think so.

2 hours ago, Mr. Bigglesworth said:

For the extent posters lament Victor (justifiably so), it is pretty disappointing they don't have a clearly better option in the system.

Why does the replacement have to be in the system?  Hanley Ramirez is still a FA and would be a better option.  

5 minutes ago, bobrob2004 said:

Why does the replacement have to be in the system?  Hanley Ramirez is still a FA and would be a better option.  

'Better' in what sense? He would cost additional money, he would not help the eventually rebuilt team win any games. I imagine that for now, those are the only two senses in which Tiger management regards the words 'better 'and 'worse' options.

1 minute ago, Gehringer_2 said:

'Better' in what sense? He would cost additional money, he would not help the eventually rebuilt team win any games. I imagine that for now, those are the only two senses in which Tiger management regards the words 'better 'and 'worse' options.

Money is really no factor.  They would only be paying him minimum...the same amount that they would be paying whoever they called up from AAA.  

And better as in better offensive production.  In the words of Ron Gardenhire, "who says the Tigers have to lose?"  

Go get Hanley Ramirez and a month later I'd guess the same individuals who are frustrated with Victor would be frustrated with Hanley.

Shuffling chairs on the deck of the Titanic.

1 minute ago, Mr. Bigglesworth said:

Go get Hanley Ramirez and a month later I'd guess the same individuals who are frustrated with Victor would be frustrated with Hanley.

It'll give us something new to discuss.  

5 minutes ago, bobrob2004 said:

Money is really no factor.  They would only be paying him minimum...the same amount that they would be paying whoever they called up from AAA.  

And better as in better offensive production.  In the words of Ron Gardenhire, "who says the Tigers have to lose?"  

I'm beginning to think Avila is going all out Astros. That he wants at least another year with a very high pick. Gardenhire might want to win, Avila might think it's fine if he feels that way but Gardy's not gonna get anything but guys from the minors for a while.

it was just 4 years ago in 2013 when VMart went on a rampage and stole 3 of his 7 career bases.

Unfortunately, none of his 3 career triples have come in a Tigers uniform.

I wonder if there has ever been a player to have less combined triples and stolen bases than Martinez in his career that lasted longer than 10 years.  

Edit...PS...I did some crack research...looked up 2 players and found that Cecil Fielder had 7 triples and 2 career stolen bases.

On 7/22/2018 at 1:33 AM, gmoney said:

it was just 4 years ago in 2013 when VMart went on a rampage and stole 3 of his 7 career bases.

Unfortunately, none of his 3 career triples have come in a Tigers uniform.

I wonder if there has ever been a player to have less combined triples and stolen bases than Martinez in his career that lasted longer than 10 years.  

Edit...PS...I did some crack research...looked up 2 players and found that Cecil Fielder had 7 triples and 2 career stolen bases.

When Cecil Fielder was a Tiger,  Sports Center did a funny bit on him trying to leg out a triple.  Every once in a while during the broadcast, they would cut to an "update" of him chugging along, showing his incremental progress around the bases, and making it look as if it took him the entire length of the show to get to third base.  And at the very end of the segment, they showed him going into third -- and getting thrown out.

• Haha 1