kj2018

Is it time to let Victor Ride Off into the Sunset??

28 minutes ago, Casimir said:

Matt Shepard made mention this morning on his show about Martinez has been a different personality in the clubhouse this season and somewhat attributed it to Gardenhire being in charge.  So...?

Rodriguez : Trammell :: Martinez : Ausmus

I think Pudge was kind of a ***** his whole career, although he was worse under Trammell.  Martinez was regarded as a good teammate most of his career. I am not sure what happened last year.  It seemed like his teammates blamed him more than Ausmus, although the manager's job is to keep those things under control.  

34 minutes ago, Casimir said:

Matt Shepard made mention this morning on his show about Martinez has been a different personality in the clubhouse this season and somewhat attributed it to Gardenhire being in charge.  So...?

When a player has played a long time and been successful, the manager is inexperienced and the team's success is less than expected, you have pretty optimal preconditions for a problem between the player and the manager. Add a little jerkiness on either or both sides, stir and there you are.

36 minutes ago, Casimir said:

Last year was also a pretty tough year to go through for all of those guys. Not everyone is going to react the same. And if you are one of the vets that is underperforming, while the others are doing well, it seems natural to be the one that ends up more surly. 

By all accounts, he has been an asset this year in the clubhouse. 

3 hours ago, Shelton said:

With the season almost over, and seeing all the garbage players that have been called up, are people still frustrated with victor’s place on the roster and role on the team? 

I was the biggest person "frustrated" with Victor (or at least the most vocal one) on this board earlier this year.  It took a while, but i resigned myself that it was what it was, and he was going to finish out the year.  So, i am no longer in that boat.  He actually has had a decent stretch (all relative mind you) since he got off the snide in KC right after the all star break.

And, it seems as if he has enjoyed himself this year, and by all accounts, has been a strong veteran influence in the clubhouse, which is a good way to go out. 

He has had a solid career, and he will go out on his terms.

3 hours ago, Mr. Bigglesworth said:

Sachel never looked back.

OK, that one was one too many levels of inference. It was supposed to have connected that Satchel would have looked back at Rob since he had given up and thus could no longer be gaining on him

one of my many swings and misses

17 hours ago, Chili Mac Davis said:

Where's the farewell tour for this man where he gets a gift in every town? Ver could have presented a gift to him when the Tigers were in Houston...

Will Vic receive enough votes to stay on the ballot after his first HOF year? Posada did not. Surprising.

"gift"

I sent him videos of Wade Boggs and Tony Gwynn hitting the ball to left field.  Didn't even get a "Thank You" note.