Jump to content

kdog

Bosio Fired

Recommended Posts

I'm not going to delve into the politics of this incident. But most companies now have a zero tolerance policy and there aren't gradations of racial slurs. One strike and you are out in most companies. Imagine if the Tigers whitewashed the situation and it came out.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Oh I get companies are well within their rights to can someone for whatever.  And a whitewash is certainly not what I was suggesting.  Suspend him and say why. 

I'm just saying it's pretty sad that we've reached a point where anything short of a modern day hanging, or tar and feathering, is unacceptable for one incident.  A pattern is a different story.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, bluefan75 said:

Oh I get companies are well within their rights to can someone for whatever.  And a whitewash is certainly not what I was suggesting.  Suspend him and say why. 

I'm just saying it's pretty sad that we've reached a point where anything short of a modern day hanging, or tar and feathering, is unacceptable for one incident.  A pattern is a different story.

I tend to agree with you much like the Heimlich situation I'm a pretty firm believer in people being able to change and deserving 2nd chances.   I guess I'm getting more forgiving and realizing that living an unblemished life is a tough assignment and that someday someone we love may need that 2nd chance.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, bluefan75 said:

Oh I get companies are well within their rights to can someone for whatever.  And a whitewash is certainly not what I was suggesting.  Suspend him and say why. 

I'm just saying it's pretty sad that we've reached a point where anything short of a modern day hanging, or tar and feathering, is unacceptable for one incident.  A pattern is a different story.

I agree it is just a little strange.  You can *do* and either get away with or be forgiven for all kinds of horrible things, but it seems there is no escape or way back from a misfire of the verbal apparatus. 

I know it's probably just my level of cynicism about the US anymore, but to me it's just another measure of how much more we are concerned about appearing to be a just society or at least persuading ourselves that we are, than we are about actually being one.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Mr. Bigglesworth said:

I would further add that I find it unlikely he would be fired unless it was truly egregious / absolutely defensible to fire him.

I don't think teams make moves like this lightly.

I don't think they do either.  It was most likely more than just saying a "bad word".  He might have done it more than once or used language in order to intimidate somebody.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, RandyMarsh said:

Did they say for sure that it was a racial comment cause I wonder if it could've been something homophobic instead.  Maybe saying somebody throws like a (insert homophobic slur) or something of that nature.  

I only saw the one report from WXYZ.  I have seen no confirmation from elsewhere, so I don't know that I trust it.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
34 minutes ago, Gehringer_2 said:

 

I know it's probably just my level of cynicism about the US anymore, but to me it's just another measure of how much more we are concerned about appearing to be a just society or at least persuading ourselves that we are, than we are about actually being one.

Yep

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Gehringer_2 said:

I know it's probably just my level of cynicism about the US anymore, but to me it's just another measure of how much more we are concerned about appearing to be a just society or at least persuading ourselves that we are, than we are about actually being one.

You have that right.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Maybe we have that level of cynicism because for years some people got away with it and others did not and it sure seemed tied to being connected.

We are where we are as a society for various reasons, and I'd suggest one of those reasons was a history of looking the other way when people in power were a ****.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Mr. Bigglesworth said:

To make it more baseball-y - c**k s**king f*****'

That's a pretty good one, but in all seriousness, I don't think even this is as bad as calling someone a "f****t".

Guys have been calling each other "c********r" forever without implying homosexuality. It's like calling someone a "m**********r": no one really contemplates that there any any real mothers involved. It's just a thing people say to someone to be funny, or if they're mad, but it doesn't mean that exact thing. If Bosio had used your exact words, I believe he'd've gotten away with it, and no one would've thought much about it.

But these days, call someone a "f****t", and it's clear that not only is it impugning someone for their presumed sexuality, but it's also impugning homosexuality in general, as though being gay were a bad thing on its face. Individual mileage may vary, but as a society, we're just now getting past that idea, so the band-aid is new on the wound and it still hurts to press on it. Once the wound heals, perhaps in a few decades, maybe the word "f****t" will lose its sting.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Gehringer_2 said:

I agree it is just a little strange.  You can *do* and either get away with or be forgiven for all kinds of horrible things, but it seems there is no escape or way back from a misfire of the verbal apparatus. 

I know it's probably just my level of cynicism about the US anymore, but to me it's just another measure of how much more we are concerned about appearing to be a just society or at least persuading ourselves that we are, than we are about actually being one.

Maybe that's why we try so hard to put on that appearance, and bristle so hard against suggestions to the contrary.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, chasfh said:

That's a pretty good one, but in all seriousness, I don't think even this is as bad as calling someone a "f****t".

Guys have been calling each other "c********r" forever without implying homosexuality. It's like calling someone a "m**********r": no one really contemplates that there any any real mothers involved. It's just a thing people say to someone to be funny, or if they're mad, but it doesn't mean that exact thing. If Bosio had used your exact words, I believe he'd've gotten away with it, and no one would've thought much about it.

But these days, call someone a "f****t", and it's clear that not only is it impugning someone for their presumed sexuality, but it's also impugning homosexuality in general, as though being gay were a bad thing on its face. Individual mileage may vary, but as a society, we're just now getting past that idea, so the band-aid is new on the wound and it still hurts to press on it. Once the wound heals, perhaps in a few decades, maybe the word "f****t" will lose its sting.

It depends on the stank put on the c***s***ing adjective.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
53 minutes ago, Mr. Bigglesworth said:

Maybe we have that level of cynicism because for years some people got away with it and others did not and it sure seemed tied to being connected.

We are where we are as a society for various reasons, and I'd suggest one of those reasons was a history of looking the other way when people in power were a ****.

i suggest the level of cynicism still exists because we still look the other way when some people do things but not when others do them.

the only thing that's changing is the things we look the other way for.  which is what always happens when social mores and power structures change.

if this was a one-off, i dont think he should have been fired.  if he was warned and still did it, then whatever.

but its hard to say because nobody knows what happened.  im surprised it hasnt been leaked yet.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I think one time is too many when it comes to a racist, sexist, or homophobic comment personally directed to an individual or a group of individuals. 

If he made a sexually harassing comment to a woman there, that’s enough. If used a slur toward someone, that’s enough. 

That said, if he made a general comment, like a joke that focused on racial or gender stereotypes, maybe that is something where he may have been given a warning. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Mr. Bigglesworth said:

We are where we are as a society for various reasons, and I'd suggest one of those reasons is looking the other way when people in power ARE a ****.

FIFY

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
30 minutes ago, Shelton said:

I think one time is too many when it comes to a racist, sexist, or homophobic comment personally directed to an individual or a group of individuals. 

If he made a sexually harassing comment to a woman there, that’s enough. If used a slur toward someone, that’s enough. 

That said, if he made a general comment, like a joke that focused on racial or gender stereotypes, maybe that is something where he may have been given a warning. 

I agree with all of that.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Buddha said:

i suggest the level of cynicism still exists because we still look the other way when some people do things but not when others do them.

 

No, what? Really? 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, chasfh said:

That's a pretty good one, but in all seriousness, I don't think even this is as bad as calling someone a "f****t".

Guys have been calling each other "c********r" forever without implying homosexuality. It's like calling someone a "m**********r": no one really contemplates that there any any real mothers involved. It's just a thing people say to someone to be funny, or if they're mad, but it doesn't mean that exact thing. If Bosio had used your exact words, I believe he'd've gotten away with it, and no one would've thought much about it.

But these days, call someone a "f****t", and it's clear that not only is it impugning someone for their presumed sexuality, but it's also impugning homosexuality in general, as though being gay were a bad thing on its face. Individual mileage may vary, but as a society, we're just now getting past that idea, so the band-aid is new on the wound and it still hurts to press on it. Once the wound heals, perhaps in a few decades, maybe the word "f****t" will lose its sting.

Also, m*****f*** and c***s***** are scouting terms.

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, chasfh said:

If all this is turning on the use a word, I would bet the word is “f****t”, one which a lot of people still haven’t gotten the memo about.

Didn't Ozzie Guillen say that multiple times publicly without getting fired? 

I also wonder if there would be a zero tolerance policy if it were Gardenhire or Avila. What if Cabrera said it? You can just cut $150 million. A pitching coach is expendable and not worth covering up. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Motown Bombers said:

Didn't Ozzie Guillen say that multiple times publicly without getting fired? 

I also wonder if there would be a zero tolerance policy if it were Gardenhire or Avila. What if Cabrera said it? You can just cut $150 million. A pitching coach is expendable and not worth covering up. 

Delmon Young made racist remarks back in 2012. All he got was a 7 game suspension issued by MLB. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Motown Bombers said:

Didn't Ozzie Guillen say that multiple times publicly without getting fired? 

I also wonder if there would be a zero tolerance policy if it were Gardenhire or Avila. What if Cabrera said it? You can just cut $150 million. A pitching coach is expendable and not worth covering up. 

Well, it's a whole different ballpark if it were a player, because player misconduct in addressed in the CBA. The league would probably end up involved, etc.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, Motown Bombers said:

Didn't Ozzie Guillen say that multiple times publicly without getting fired? 

In 2018?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Quote

One day, he’s making a joke by his cubicle in the Tigers’ coaches office, and two days later he’s fired, informed that he violated the team’s zero-tolerance policy, saying he “made insensitive remarks to a team employee.’’

“I’m crushed,’’ said Bosio, who plans to hire an attorney and determine whether a wrongful termination lawsuit will be filed. “I’m absolutely crushed. I still can’t believe it’s gotten to this point.

“I’m in shock.’’

Bosio revealed to USA TODAY Sports that he was fired for using the word “monkey" in a conversation that was overheard by - but not involving - an African-American clubhouse attendant.

Bosio insists he was not using the word in a racial and disparaging context, and that it was not directed toward the clubhouse attendant. He says he referring to injured pitcher Daniel Stumpf, a white pitcher from Humble, Texas.

Bosio said that he was questioned about the incident Tuesday afternoon in a private meeting with Tigers GM Al Avila, assistant GM and general counsel John Westhoff, and manager Ron Gardenhire. They asked him point-blank if he used the derogatory word.

 “I didn’t deny it,’’ Bosio said. “But it was directed at Stumpf, and the face he makes when he lifts weights. That’s it.’’

Bosio, in the first year of a two-year contract, showed up to work Wednesday, was summoned into a conference room and fired.

“Al said, we got all of our information, and we’re firing you because of your insensitive comments,’’ Bosio said. “I said, “Comments? There was one comment. And it wasn’t even directed at the kid.’

“Al said, “We and Major League Baseball have a zero-tolerance policy. I said, “Al, I don’t have any issues with anybody. I didn’t cross the line. I’m really sorry, but that’s not my intent. I can’t believe this.

“My God.’ ’’

USA Today

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×