kdog

Bosio Fired

It is hard to imagine that a coach that has been around as long and has been as successful as Bosio or any coach of a professional sport would use the N word or make a racial comment at a Latino player, especially in the PC environment of today.  

6 minutes ago, NickCantCatch said:

It is hard to imagine that a coach that has been around as long and has been as successful as Bosio or any coach of a professional sport would use the N word or make a racial comment at a Latino player, especially in the PC environment of today.  

YEah it seems really negligent.  I'm guessing that he didn't directly call somebody it rather he was talking to a peer and was using it to them and somebody overheard it and reported it.  

4 hours ago, cruzer1 said:

Maybe the one female working in analytics

I hope not. But that would be an easy person to mess with. You have to be a real douche to do that.  Pick on somebody your own size your own gender and not smarter than yourself. 

28 minutes ago, NickCantCatch said:

I don't think we have a PC environment in this country anymore.  A lot has changed the last couple of years.  My first thought was that there might have been political discussions going on about the immigration issue just like everywhere else and  it might have caused some trouble that got out of hand.    

I don’t care if these guys are often uncouth, tobacco spittin’ rednecks. They are professionals in a gigantic industry and they need to act like it.   No one in a situation like this can shoot from the hip and act there will be no consequences. I wonder when  people that like this sort of stuff are going to turn him into a victim. 

15 minutes ago, tiger337 said:

I don't think we have a PC environment in this country anymore.  A lot has changed the last couple of years.  My first thought was that there might have been political discussions going on about the immigration issue just like everywhere else and  it might have caused some trouble that got out of hand.    

We might not have a "PC culture", but we very much have a culture where public speculation that you even might be racist is about equivalent to being accused of pedophilia. I could see some random guy grabbing a beer with his buddies being "un-pc", but anyone with a brain in a public job like Bosio would know it's complete career suicide.

Did they say for sure that it was a racial comment cause I wonder if it could've been something homophobic instead.  Maybe saying somebody throws like a (insert homophobic slur) or something of that nature.  

6 minutes ago, RandyMarsh said:

Did they say for sure that it was a racial comment cause I wonder if it could've been something homophobic instead.  Maybe saying somebody throws like a (insert homophobic slur) or something of that nature.  

We have no idea what he said or did.  This is all speculation.  That kind of bothers me.  

2 hours ago, Motown Bombers said:

It could have been said to Avila himself and he is just saying Tigers employee.

IDK, he serves at Avila's discretion. If he had gone off on Al, he just fires him. All Al has to day is that Bosio and the org are no longer on the same page. Case closed.

I suppose if they don't want to pay him then you would have to specify cause - assuming they can do that under his contract terms.

Comments aside Bosio hasn't been all that impressive atleast on the surface.  I mean things started strong for Boyd but his BABIP and LOB luck are regressing and his advanced numbers are almost the same as last year,  Fulmer has regressed, Greene has regressed really I don't see anybody that he has helped, atleast judging by the numbers.   

Not saying that he would've been fired or deserved to be fired without those comments because it's hard to turn chickensh*t into chicken salad just pointing out that it isn't as big of loss as I thought it would've been say two months ago.  

57 minutes ago, pyrotigers said:

We might not have a "PC culture", but we very much have a culture where public speculation that you even might be racist is about equivalent to being accused of pedophilia. I could see some random guy grabbing a beer with his buddies being "un-pc", but anyone with a brain in a public job like Bosio would know it's complete career suicide.

I disagree. I think it would be worse to be considered a pedophile than a racist. But being a racist in a country about to become majority non-white is definitely way, way up there.

I can’t believe it was a player. Major league players are big guys with some power and are able to stand up and defend themselves against aggressive insensitive comments, even if coaches make them. Believing you can make insensitive comments with impunity only works when there’s a substantial power imbalance wrt the target. My guess is that it was directed at clubhouse staff, people who are close enough to have continual contact with Bosio but far enough down the ladder for a guy in Bosio’s lofty position to be at least somewhat contemptuous of them. #spitballin 

5 hours ago, tiger337 said:

corporate america is completely pc.

i'll text you the minutes from my next company "diversity and inclusion" meeting.  you wont have to wait long because they have them every couple months.

as for bosio, i would be stunned if he called someone a n*****.  if he did he really is an idiot.  he probably made a remark someone thought was offensive (and maybe was offensive).  you would think it would have to be pretty egregious to get a person fired, but in today's day and age you never know.

9 hours ago, IdahoBert said:

I don’t care if these guys are often uncouth, tobacco spittin’ rednecks. They are professionals in a gigantic industry and they need to act like it.   No one in a situation like this can shoot from the hip and act there will be no consequences. I wonder when  people that like this sort of stuff are going to turn him into a victim. 

Maybe he called someone an "uncouth tabacco spittin'redneck?"  

Everyone is a victim today.  That's the problem.  

14 minutes ago, NickCantCatch said:

Very true. You are spot on here.

10 hours ago, RandyMarsh said:

YEah it seems really negligent.  I'm guessing that he didn't directly call somebody it rather he was talking to a peer and was using it to them and somebody overheard it and reported it.  

Would he get fired for that? I find it unlikely. I think he had a confrontation with someone. Bosio has a history of being somewhat of a hot head.

51 minutes ago, NickCantCatch said:

Told Jimenez he played ball like a girl.

giphy.gif

• Thanks 1

5 hours ago, Buddha said:

corporate america is completely pc.

i'll text you the minutes from my next company "diversity and inclusion" meeting.  you wont have to wait long because they have them every couple months.

as for bosio, i would be stunned if he called someone a n*****.  if he did he really is an idiot.  he probably made a remark someone thought was offensive (and maybe was offensive).  you would think it would have to be pretty egregious to get a person fired, but in today's day and age you never know.

And sometimes it's completely inadvertent and not meant to be offensive.    I refer to the person from Fox that was suspended for telling someone that they were "out of their cotton pickin' mind".   

I grew up and heard that term sporadically, never thought much of it except as a way of telling someone they were crazy.   Obviously when you hear it or see it written today you can see where it's offensive. 

But I have to admit that if two weeks ago I'd only heard it as a passing remark in a conversation it might have gone right past me as an offensive term because in my youth I didn't associate it as such.   

I guess without supporting/apologizing for Bosio I'm saying that sometimes if you're not thinking carefully about what you say you're capable of blurting something out that once would have been acceptable in conversation and now isn't.

10 hours ago, NickCantCatch said:

We have no idea what he said or did.  This is all speculation.  That kind of bothers me.  

It doesn't bother me.  I don't have a right or need to know what happened anymore than some other person being fired from their job.

I would further add that I find it unlikely he would be fired unless it was truly egregious / absolutely defensible to fire him.

I don't think teams make moves like this lightly.

Gardy's on 97.1 right now.     

He probably won't get into details on this. 

To Jamie's credit he led off with it and Gardy' said the decision came from above and he really didn't have any part but once he heard what it was it was a no-brainer.   

I have a feeling it wasn't the N-word.     

If all this is turning on the use a word, I would bet the word is “f****t”, one which a lot of people still haven’t gotten the memo about.

What concerns me is that according to the News, it was an isolated incident.  Ok, so it was a one-off.  Without knowing the specifics, have things really reached a point where one strike and you're out?  I can think of a number of times where the response is counseling, help the person along, etc.  If he had been driving drunk and hit somebody... if he smacked his wife around... is he fired or is he put into counseling?  But a couple of words and bam you're gone? 

I'm not defending what he did, but does the nuclear option always have to be the go to?  It's a pretty bad place to be in where someone can't make a mistake or they be fired. 

Again, not knowing specifics, but....

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, chasfh said:

If all this is turning on the use a word, I would bet the word is “f****t”, one which a lot of people still haven’t gotten the memo about.

To make it more baseball-y - c**k s**king f*****'

2 minutes ago, bluefan75 said:

What concerns me is that according to the News, it was an isolated incident.  Ok, so it was a one-off.  Without knowing the specifics, have things really reached a point where one strike and you're out?  I can think of a number of times where the response is counseling, help the person along, etc.  If he had been driving drunk and hit somebody... if he smacked his wife around... is he fired or is he put into counseling?  But a couple of words and bam you're gone? 

I'm not defending what he did, but does the nuclear option always have to be the go to?  It's a pretty bad place to be in where someone can't make a mistake or they be fired. 

Again, not knowing specifics, but....

Yes, you absolutely can be fired for saying the wrong thing once.

And I don't know if it was a one off.

Maybe he called Gardenhire a garden gnome?  I can see the Freudian slip there.