IdahoBert

Off day thread for two off days in four days

1 minute ago, tiger337 said:

12 is too many, but there is a big difference between 12 and 16.  

I think it would be fine if Tampa and Seattle were in a race to be included in a six team field this year. And I think it would be just fine if Boston and Houston were rewarded relative to Cleveland. 

6 minutes ago, Shelton said:

I think it would be fine if Tampa and Seattle were in a race to be included in a six team field this year. And I think it would be just fine if Boston and Houston were rewarded relative to Cleveland. 

Are you think two play-in games?  I don't think Boston and Houston would be rewarded if they had to site through a five-game playoff.  I also don't think it would be fair for Cleveland to have a play-in game after winning their division.  With 8*4, you could reward the two division winners and have two play-in games.  

Don’t you run into a danger of the season going further into November?  4 division winners. 2 wild cards/runner ups. Top two get a bye. First round is best of 5?  Best of 3?  Top teams could get a full week off otherwise. Best of 3 is extreme but preserves need to do well in regular season.  With a next of 3 for 2 WC and lower seeded division winners you get a hybrid of a play in and regular season record.  Start in lower seed ballpark and last 2 in division winner park.  Play both leagues on Tue/Thur/Fri. Start ALDS on Sunday.  

6 minutes ago, Oblong said:

Don’t you run into a danger of the season going further into November?  4 division winners. 2 wild cards/runner ups. Top two get a bye. First round is best of 5?  Best of 3?  Top teams could get a full week off otherwise. Best of 3 is extreme but preserves need to do well in regular season.  With a next of 3 for 2 WC and lower seeded division winners you get a hybrid of a play in and regular season record.  Start in lower seed ballpark and last 2 in division winner park.  Play both leagues on Tue/Thur/Fri. Start ALDS on Sunday.  

I don't think my scenario for 8*4 would push the season any further than the 4*8 scenario.  In either case you have the play-in games followed by the playoffs just like they do now.  

Id do it just like the NFL, you get 2 byes per league.  I'd have the first round be best of three though. This way it doesn't drag on too long giving the team on a bye too long of rest and it isn't as flukey as just one game. 

I'd also do it home, away, home so that every playoff team is guaranteed atleast one playoff game at home.

15 minutes ago, tiger337 said:

Are you think two play-in games?  I don't think Boston and Houston would be rewarded if they had to site through a five-game playoff.  I also don't think it would be fair for Cleveland to have a play-in game after winning their division.  With 8*4, you could reward the two division winners and have two play-in games.  

Cleveland doesn’t deserve anything for their poor record when they got to play the rest of the central for so many games.

i already addressed my feeling regarding the “sitting penalty.” 

3 hours ago, Shelton said:

Cleveland doesn’t deserve anything for their poor record when they got to play the rest of the central for so many games.

i already addressed my feeling regarding the “sitting penalty.” 

I think the league doesn't want teams sitting for a long time though.  That's why they have the play-in game rather than a three-game playoff.  It might be just an illusion like I think divisions giving more teams a chance is mostly an illusion, but I think it's something they won't do.  

2 hours ago, tiger337 said:

He has said it a few times times, most recently around he all-star game.  

Yes, I heard him mention it around the all star games.  8 divisions of 4 teams is a terrible idea.  It won’t  be long before a team with a losing record makes the playoffs as a division winner under that format.

3 hours ago, Casimir said:

Yes, I heard him mention it around the all star games.  8 divisions of 4 teams is a terrible idea.  It won’t  be long before a team with a losing record makes the playoffs as a division winner under that format.

Yes, that is another problem.  4 divisions of 8 teams works better for multiple reasons.  

MLB currently has 10 playoff teams and playoffs already extend too deep into fall ..with 2018 playoffs tentatively scheduled through October 31.

Perhaps expand MLB by 2 more teams (say .. Montreal / NL & Nashville / AL ..but could be anywhere ..such as Las Vegas, Portland OR,  San Jose, Charlotte, ..or Mexico???) .. .. and then realign to have 4 eight-team divisions .. AL East, AL West, NL East, NL West.

Move Milwaukee back to AL ..and move Houston back to NL.

AL East = Bos, NYY, Tampa, Balt, Tor, Cle, Det, Nashville.

AL West = ChiW, Milw, Minn, KC, Tex, LAA, Oak, Sea.

NL East = NYM, Miami, Montreal, Wash, Phi, Pit, Cin, Atl.

NL West = Cubs, StL, Hou, Colorado, Ari, SF, SD, LAD.

............. Only the 4 division winners involved in the playoffs.

All teams play other teams within their division 8 times each (7 x 8 = 56.)  (4 home / 4 away)

All teams play other teams in League's other division 6 times each (7 x 6 = 42.) (3 home / 3 away)

I dislike interleague play ..but a lot of fans like it.  Thus, continue inter-league play and have each AL team play each NL team 4 times (16 x 4 = 64.) (2 home / 2 away)

Thus, 56 + 42 + 64 = 162 game season.

For the fans .. schedule 7 double headers within same league / division .. one price for both games. .. This will give teams exactly 155 regular season game dates (148 single games + 14 games during their 7 double headers.).

Season starts April 1.. ends September 30 = 183 days for their 155 game dates.  But .. revert back to only 3 days off for All Star game = 180 dates available for the 155 game dates = 25 off days and/or make up dates.

Pennant = Best of 7 AL East/AL West and NL East/NL West .. Oct 3 through October 11.

World Series = Best of 7 .. October 14 though October 22.

Tigers win ..Tigers Win ..Tigers WIN !!!!

9 hours ago, tiger337 said:

Yes, that is another problem.  4 divisions of 8 teams works better for multiple reasons.  

Well, before they get to that point, they need to figure out the ball park issues for Tampa and Oakland.  It sounds like Oakland may be making some headway, albeit slowly.  Tampa seems to be in worse shape in terms of long run.

Then they need to figure out two new locations.  I know Montreal has been a popular/sentimental possible choice.  I'm not sure any other location has been identified.  Yes, locations have been tossed around, but certainly not to the extent that, oh yeah, that place needs a team.

I honestly wouldn't be surprised to see MLB remain at 30 for a while.  Nor would I be surprised to see MLB go for a money grab and add 2 teams, even if there isn't much of a groundswell to do so.

9 hours ago, Tigrrfan said:

MLB currently has 10 playoff teams and playoffs already extend too deep into fall ..with 2018 playoffs tentatively scheduled through October 31.

Perhaps expand MLB by 2 more teams (say .. Montreal / NL & Nashville / AL ..but could be anywhere ..such as Las Vegas, Portland OR,  San Jose, Charlotte, ..or Mexico???) .. .. and then realign to have 4 eight-team divisions .. AL East, AL West, NL East, NL West.

Move Milwaukee back to AL ..and move Houston back to NL.

AL East = Bos, NYY, Tampa, Balt, Tor, Cle, Det, Nashville.

AL West = ChiW, Milw, Minn, KC, Tex, LAA, Oak, Sea.

NL East = NYM, Miami, Montreal, Wash, Phi, Pit, Cin, Atl.

NL West = Cubs, StL, Hou, Colorado, Ari, SF, SD, LAD.

............. Only the 4 division winners involved in the playoffs.

All teams play other teams within their division 8 times each (7 x 8 = 56.)  (4 home / 4 away)

All teams play other teams in League's other division 6 times each (7 x 6 = 42.) (3 home / 3 away)

I dislike interleague play ..but a lot of fans like it.  Thus, continue inter-league play and have each AL team play each NL team 4 times (16 x 4 = 64.) (2 home / 2 away)

Thus, 56 + 42 + 64 = 162 game season.

For the fans .. schedule 7 double headers within same league / division .. one price for both games. .. This will give teams exactly 155 regular season game dates (148 single games + 14 games during their 7 double headers.).

Season starts April 1.. ends September 30 = 183 days for their 155 game dates.  But .. revert back to only 3 days off for All Star game = 180 dates available for the 155 game dates = 25 off days and/or make up dates.

Pennant = Best of 7 AL East/AL West and NL East/NL West .. Oct 3 through October 11.

World Series = Best of 7 .. October 14 though October 22.

Tigers win ..Tigers Win ..Tigers WIN !!!!

More interleague games than intra-divisional games is not good.  How about 12*7 versus division, 6*8 versus other division and 30 interleague games?  Personally, I'd get rid of all interleague games or maybe just have one week on interleague games, so teams can have their rivalry series.    

I liked interleague when it was the two times a year.  Made it sort of special

The only thing that really bothers me about interleague play is the conflict with the DH rule.

15 minutes ago, tiger337 said:

More interleague games than intra-divisional games is not good.  How about 12*7 versus division, 6*8 versus other division and 30 interleague games?  Personally, I'd get rid of all interleague games or maybe just have one week on interleague games, so teams can have their rivalry series.    

I like all those suggestions!

Moreover, I would love to see the regular season reduced to 154 games ..or whatever it takes to end the World Series in Mid-October.

Would still love to see regularly scheduled double headers. 

Also would suggest all games tied after 12 innings be recorded as a tie.  Either that, or figure out a way to always break tie games during innings 10, 11, or 12.  ..... ..... ..... ..... Why?  ..Because I think 13 or more inning games are totally ridiculous.