IdahoBert

Off day thread for two off days in four days

42 minutes ago, IdahoBert said:

I was fooling around 

....at least you didn't fall in love.

wonder when Chris Bosio is going to sue the Tigers?

• Haha 1

Speaking of Bosio I was just thinking about him in regards to how long this season has been.  It almost feels like his firing was in a prior season.

When he got fired I was sitting on the beach in Gulf Shores, AL..... with bikini clad girls all around me.  What a day.

At the game Friday my friend told me that John Smoltz had an idea about changing the playoff format into a 1st half/2nd half thing.  The idea being that you can give some teams that started out slow incentive to play harder in September if they had a shot.  His proposal sounded too far fetched but I got to thinking about tweaking the current system slightly to get at the same point.

What if you made the 2nd wild card the team that's not already in the playoffs through another way with the best 2nd half record? Going by games 82 and up, not post ASB.  I know there's fundamental unfairness issues but I counter that once you get to the 2nd wild card you should have played better overall.  I view the wild cards as bonuses and like in poker you can make them whatever you want....

Just noodling... I actually like the current system and think given the needs MLB has its' the best they can do.  They want last minute excitement, sudden death, more than 2 rounds.... this gives it to them.

My only complaint is I wish the playoff schedule was structured.  AL one day, NL the other.  

12 minutes ago, Oblong said:

At the game Friday my friend told me that John Smoltz had an idea about changing the playoff format into a 1st half/2nd half thing.  The idea being that you can give some teams that started out slow incentive to play harder in September if they had a shot.  His proposal sounded too far fetched but I got to thinking about tweaking the current system slightly to get at the same point.

What if you made the 2nd wild card the team that's not already in the playoffs through another way with the best 2nd half record? Going by games 82 and up, not post ASB.  I know there's fundamental unfairness issues but I counter that once you get to the 2nd wild card you should have played better overall.  I view the wild cards as bonuses and like in poker you can make them whatever you want....

Just noodling... I actually like the current system and think given the needs MLB has its' the best they can do.  They want last minute excitement, sudden death, more than 2 rounds.... this gives it to them.

My only complaint is I wish the playoff schedule was structured.  AL one day, NL the other.  

If they revamp the playoffs, get rid of divisions and take the top records regardless of geography.  Why should Tampa be screwed by geography?  Cleveland plays in the worst division and could have the 6th best record in the league and still make the playoffs?  That's dumb.

Not only that, they get to scoot past the do or die game?  And they don't have to face the best team in the ALDS even though they will have the worst record of the 5 AL playoff teams?

image.thumb.png.1af65bbdc08fce21002db4e8308a8a7e.png

If they are **** bent on keeping divisions and the playoffs the way they are at the very least they should do is get rid of the unbalanced schedules. 

That wouldn't help a team like TB win the division but if they played an equal number games against the central and east maybe it would allow them to win more games and get the 2nd wc.

Yup, get rid of divisions and take the top however many teams you want.  That is the correct answer.  

6 minutes ago, Shelton said:

Yes yes yes 

one league is the best

One League, One World, One Love.....now let's hold hands.

3 minutes ago, Oblong said:

MLB would never get rid of divisions.

I read (I think it was Morosi) that the players were in favor of doing it when the changed the playoffs a few years ago, but the owners didn't like it.  

They are going to expand to 32 teams in the next few years and Manfred said there are going to be 8 four team divisions.  I really can't think of a good way to have the playoffs with that set-up.  First round byes don't work, because it's not really reward for a team when it has to sit for a long period.  Teams wouldn't be rewarded for winning divisions if they had one or two wild cards and play-in games.  They could have four wild cards, but that mean half the teams would make the playoffs and it would be like the NBA and NHL.    

When did manfred say there would be 8 four team divisions?

28 minutes ago, tiger337 said:

They are going to expand to 32 teams in the next few years and Manfred said there are going to be 8 four team divisions.  I really can't think of a good way to have the playoffs with that set-up.  First round byes don't work, because it's not really reward for a team when it has to sit for a long period.  Teams wouldn't be rewarded for winning divisions if they had one or two wild cards and play-in games.  They could have four wild cards, but that mean half the teams would make the playoffs and it would be like the NBA and NHL.    

You could have byes. I don’t think “sitting” is as bad as it is made out to be. To the extent that it hurts you, you could say the same thing about fatigue for the other team. 

You could also give the team with a bye a 1 games to none lead to start the series. 

There are plenty of options. Playoff baseball hasn’t been about rewarding the best teams with a championship for a while now. So it doesn’t much bother me if the playoffs are expanded. It would make for a more exciting regular season and it would include more playoff baseball, and that doesn’t seem all that bad to me. 

44 minutes ago, Oblong said:

MLB would never get rid of divisions.

I wouldn’t be so sure about that. NHL reduced its number of divisions didn’t they? The NBA has altered their playoff seeding to downplay the importance of winning a division, and there is constantly noise about further playoff seeding realignment. 

I think MLB could be open to it, especially with fans becoming more sophisticated. 

14 minutes ago, Shelton said:

You could have byes. I don’t think “sitting” is as bad as it is made out to be. To the extent that it hurts you, you could say the same thing about fatigue for the other team. 

You could also give the team with a bye a 1 games to none lead to start the series. 

There are plenty of options. Playoff baseball hasn’t been about rewarding the best teams with a championship for a while now. So it doesn’t much bother me if the playoffs are expanded. It would make for a more exciting regular season and it would include more playoff baseball, and that doesn’t seem all that bad to me. 

I think expanding the number of teams in the playoffs would make both the regular season and the playoffs worse. 16 teams would be absolutely horrible.   

18 minutes ago, Shelton said:

When did manfred say there would be 8 four team divisions?

He has said it a few times times, most recently around he all-star game.  

Just take a representative from each division winner and pit them in a winner take all underground poker game at one of Deuce's venues. 

6 minutes ago, RandyMarsh said:

Just take a representative from each division winner and pit them in a winner take all underground poker game at one of Deuce's venues. 

That would be no more of a crap shoot than the current set-up.  

54 minutes ago, tiger337 said:

I think expanding the number of teams in the playoffs would make both the regular season and the playoffs worse. 16 teams would be absolutely horrible.   

I also think 16 is too many.  But 12 could be ok. 

12 minutes ago, Shelton said:

I also think 16 is too many.  But 12 could be ok. 

12 is too many, but there is a big difference between 12 and 16.  

I don't see how to set up the playoffs in a good way if there 8 * 4 divisions though.