IdahoBert

Off day thread for two off days in four days

We'd be in first place if you took away all the games we played bad in. 

Just saw this stat on twitter.  There are currently 69 players in the MLB who have more homers than our home run leader.  That is crazy.  

11 hours ago, Mr. Bigglesworth said:

The thing that frustrates me is the Tigers always seem to have an off day after either a win or a loss.

Interesting.  I hadn't thought of it this way before.

2FA9EEBB-C602-470C-8F58-4E73F58182EC.thumb.png.0f6fb8965f8de91a5d1cde31e26dbaa1.png

You maniacs! You blew it up! God, damn you! Damn you all to helll! Take your sticky paws off me, you damn dirty cat!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, IdahoBert said:

2FA9EEBB-C602-470C-8F58-4E73F58182EC.thumb.png.0f6fb8965f8de91a5d1cde31e26dbaa1.png

You maniacs! You blew it up! God, damn you! Damn you all to helll! Take your sticky paws off me, you damn dirty cat!

I like how you captured the Titanic off in the deep distance there.  Very poetic given how this team will never be seen (as a winner) again.

• Like 1

The Tigers announced Thursday that they’ve claimed outfielder Dustin Peterson off waivers from the Braves. In order to open a roster spot for Peterson, who was designated for assignment by Atlanta recently, Detroit transferred John Hicks from the 10-day disabled list to the 60-day disabled list. Peterson has been optioned and will not join the Tigers’ big league roster at this time.

Tigers' elimination number in the AL Central is down to 1.  With the Indians playing tonight. Nothing worse than getting eliminated while sitting at home scratching oneself with no control over one's fate which is being determined hundreds of miles away.

Scouting grades: Hit: 50 | Power: 50 | Run: 50 | Arm: 45 | Field: 50 | Overall: 45

The younger brother of one-time Mariners first-round pick D.J. Peterson, Dustin went in the second round of the 2013 Draft out of his Arizona high school to the Padres. He was sent to the Braves in December 2014 as part of the Justin Upton trade and had a bit of a breakout offensively in 2016, though a hamate injury forced him out of the start of 2017 and seemed to negate any power gains he had made.

Now 100 percent healthy, Peterson, who was not protected on the 40-man roster and not taken in the Rule 5 Draft, can show that he's more of the 2016 version of him. That was the year he set career highs in just about every offensive category and took a big step forward in terms of tapping into his raw power. At his best, he mitigates a reasonable amount of strikeouts with a fair walk rate, especially given his power potential. An infielder originally, he was moved to left field and he's a whole lot more natural there than he was at third base, projecting as an average defender with a fringy arm.

Peterson deserves a mulligan for his lost 2017 season and should get a chance to show who he really is in 2018. He still has the upside of an everyday left fielder, where there will be pressure on the bat, with the chance to be a quality fourth outfielder who provides power and run production.

12 hours ago, LooseGoose said:

This off day sucks - we were just getting started on our drive to 79.

Yippee ..only 5 more upgrades to go to be playoff contenders.

11 minutes ago, IdahoBert said:

Sixteen games left. And then, the long winter of our discontent. 

Oh why bring this up?   It forces me to look into a void......

funny Ron quote re JaCoby as emergency infielder

"I told him he could pick his spot, wherever he was most comfortable. He said he hated third base (where he played in Triple-A with the Pirates), so that's where I would've probably played him."

47 minutes ago, LooseGoose said:

Oh why bring this up?   It forces me to look into a void......

Suck it up LG. Baseball is not for the weak!

37 minutes ago, RatkoVarda said:

funny Ron quote re JaCoby as emergency infielder

"I told him he could pick his spot, wherever he was most comfortable. He said he hated third base (where he played in Triple-A with the Pirates), so that's where I would've probably played him."

This reminds me of a Benedictine nun I know.  On her first day nearly 60 years ago they asked her what she wanted to be and she said “a nurse.“  They made her a schoolteacher because the rule is to challenge a person to the extreme. She said the popular notion of nuns being mean to school kids derives from women who don’t like kids being forced to work with them. 

2 hours ago, IdahoBert said:

Sixteen games left. And then, the long winter of our discontent. 

"People ask me what I do in winter when there's no baseball. I'll tell you what I do. I stare out the window and wait for spring." - Rogers Hornsby