Jump to content

IdahoBert

Off day thread for two off days in four days

Recommended Posts

26 minutes ago, Gehringer_2 said:

One last thought on Castellanos play in RF : I may be giving him too much credit. It may be that with a strong CF in Martin/Jones, that Gardenhire is just willing to play Nick closer to the RF line than Ausmus and Leyland ever played JD. As I think about it, when at games and could watch the OF alignment, I always thought they played JD a long way off the line for guy that didn't go that way very well in the first place. Clearly their greater fear was triples up the gap, and maybe they didn't have the analytics support to get to a better decision or maybe they were just too weak in CF to do anything else. Gose had great straight line speed but had an absolutely terrible first step (i.e. deciding where to go) that largely negated it. Maybin was a well below average CF as well, and Jackson, who was a great defender when he came up, was never even close to the same guy after his hamstring issues - so it's been a while since we had a good defender in CF. Daylight madness for a team that plays in the park with the biggest CF in baseball wasn't it?

JD never played for Leyland....

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

3 minutes ago, Oblong said:

JD never played for Leyland....

 

Yeah - I should have checked the years on the managers. I did think Jackson was gone before JD got here and checked that. It's just Freudian - I'm trying to block out how long Ausmus was ever here.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, Gehringer_2 said:

Yeah - I should have checked the years on the managers. I did think Jackson was gone before JD got here and checked that. It's just Freudian - I'm trying to block out how long Ausmus was ever here.

It's an easy think to do....  On my facebook memories thing one came up a few weeks ago for 2014 where I knocked JD... and I then had to do the mental math and realize that he really wasn't here that long.   I think I knocked him as being a potential flash in the pan.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 6/19/2018 at 9:25 AM, Oblong said:

It's an easy think to do....  On my facebook memories thing one came up a few weeks ago for 2014 where I knocked JD... and I then had to do the mental math and realize that he really wasn't here that long.   I think I knocked him as being a potential flash in the pan.

He still injury prone. I am certainly not rooting for anything to happen to him because I really love the guy, but it’s generally hard for him to get through an entire season without missing 4 to 6 weeks.   He did that once with us. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

E184DB36-02F8-417C-ACF3-DEF239181A36.thumb.png.8c1ac62e37dc23b0f4edd4df8547befc.png

Yes it’s been futile playing the Cleveland Indians these last three years.  In that time this team has collected a lot of bumps and scrapes and stains and boo-boos etc.  I think they’re due to win two of these three games.  By the law of averages they can’t suck all the time against this team even when the games take place in the Tribe’s home ball park. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 minutes ago, IdahoBert said:

He still injury prone. I am certainly not rooting for anything to happen to him because I really love the guy, but it’s generally hard for him to get through an entire season without missing 4 to 6 weeks.   He did that once with us. 

He is also the second best Tigers hitter in the last 50 years.  That's just looking at hitting and not considering position or defense.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, tiger337 said:

He is also the second best Tigers hitter in the last 50 years.  That's just looking at hitting and not considering position or defense.  

Oh I wish they kept him for sure. But I also understand why they didn’t.  The Red Sox too were very concerned about his physical condition. But they are used to big expenditures, can absorb them, and they are not rebuilding.

The Tigers however made an all or nothing decision to rebuild and giving a player with an up-and-down physical history a $110 million contract (and I assumed it would be considerably more) for five plus years was in direct opposition to that plan. That was the old way of doing business and they chose to stop doing business that way.  At least for an indeterminate period. As a fan I wish it were a more nuanced approach but I also get the reasoning. 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The Kansas City #Royals and Detroit #Tigers will play a game on June 13,2019, in Omaha, two days before the College World Series.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 6/19/2018 at 7:51 AM, Oblong said:

Wife got me tickets to see the Mud Hens play in August.  Behind the plate.  Looking forward to it.

So........your really going to a Tiger game?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, kdog said:

The Kansas City #Royals and Detroit #Tigers will play a game on June 13,2019, in Omaha, two days before the College World Series.

No doubt, this will be as close as the Tigers will get to a WS in the next several years.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 6/19/2018 at 11:09 AM, Oblong said:

JD never played for Leyland....

 

 Forget it hes rolling

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Those 2 off days in 4 days in June killed our momentum. We coulda been a contender.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

All of those daggum rain outs that they scheduled in April.....

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 minutes ago, Casimir said:

All of those daggum rain outs that they scheduled in April.....

So the word “daggum” perked my interest. I always thought it was spelled correctly as dadgum. Then I figured dadgum is the southern version of  daggum. I’m native North Carolina and most always hear it pronounced ‘dadgum.’ Looked it up.

Dadgum definition: adjective. “Chiefly Southern US. Used as an intensive to express mild annoyance. Origin of dadgum. Alteration of God D***.”

Geez, I had no idea it was a cleaner version of GD! Dadgum  rolls right into dadgummit which definitely rolls like GD’it. Daggum is a moderated form of dadgum, considered cleaner, and avoiding the GD association. 

Amazing what you can learn on off days!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, LooseGoose said:

3 off days in the next 10 or so.....this is painful.

Goodbye Big Mo. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, 1776 said:

So the word “daggum” perked my interest. I always thought it was spelled correctly as dadgum. Then I figured dadgum is the southern version of  daggum. I’m native North Carolina and most always hear it pronounced ‘dadgum.’ Looked it up.

Dadgum definition: adjective. “Chiefly Southern US. Used as an intensive to express mild annoyance. Origin of dadgum. Alteration of God D***.”

Geez, I had no idea it was a cleaner version of GD! Dadgum  rolls right into dadgummit which definitely rolls like GD’it. Daggum is a moderated form of dadgum, considered cleaner, and avoiding the GD association. 

Amazing what you can learn on off days!

Dag'um for the really, really southers.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

A tweet from @TigersHistory

July 26, 1916: Tigers fans greet Harry Heilmann with standing ovation at Navin Field after he saved a drowning woman from the Detroit River the night before

 

Man, those were the good ol' days. A century ago all you needed to do to get a standing O was take a refreshing mid-summer dip in the river. These days you really have to earn a standing O, by enduring a few days of meanie criticism after making racist and homophobic posts.

 

heilmann.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, Casimir said:

Dag'um for the really, really southers.

The best dadgummits I ever heard were those issued by Bobby Bowden. His were as genuine as they come.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, IdahoBert said:

Goodbye Big Mo. 

Yep.  This day off couldn't come at a worse time.  Just when the Tigers are building momentum for the stretch drive.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

if not for that this team could of contended.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×