IdahoBert

Off day thread for two off days in four days

26 minutes ago, Gehringer_2 said:

One last thought on Castellanos play in RF : I may be giving him too much credit. It may be that with a strong CF in Martin/Jones, that Gardenhire is just willing to play Nick closer to the RF line than Ausmus and Leyland ever played JD. As I think about it, when at games and could watch the OF alignment, I always thought they played JD a long way off the line for guy that didn't go that way very well in the first place. Clearly their greater fear was triples up the gap, and maybe they didn't have the analytics support to get to a better decision or maybe they were just too weak in CF to do anything else. Gose had great straight line speed but had an absolutely terrible first step (i.e. deciding where to go) that largely negated it. Maybin was a well below average CF as well, and Jackson, who was a great defender when he came up, was never even close to the same guy after his hamstring issues - so it's been a while since we had a good defender in CF. Daylight madness for a team that plays in the park with the biggest CF in baseball wasn't it?

JD never played for Leyland....

3 minutes ago, Oblong said:

Yeah - I should have checked the years on the managers. I did think Jackson was gone before JD got here and checked that. It's just Freudian - I'm trying to block out how long Ausmus was ever here.

11 minutes ago, Gehringer_2 said:

Yeah - I should have checked the years on the managers. I did think Jackson was gone before JD got here and checked that. It's just Freudian - I'm trying to block out how long Ausmus was ever here.

It's an easy think to do....  On my facebook memories thing one came up a few weeks ago for 2014 where I knocked JD... and I then had to do the mental math and realize that he really wasn't here that long.   I think I knocked him as being a potential flash in the pan.

On 6/19/2018 at 9:25 AM, Oblong said:

It's an easy think to do....  On my facebook memories thing one came up a few weeks ago for 2014 where I knocked JD... and I then had to do the mental math and realize that he really wasn't here that long.   I think I knocked him as being a potential flash in the pan.

He still injury prone. I am certainly not rooting for anything to happen to him because I really love the guy, but it’s generally hard for him to get through an entire season without missing 4 to 6 weeks.   He did that once with us. 

E184DB36-02F8-417C-ACF3-DEF239181A36.thumb.png.8c1ac62e37dc23b0f4edd4df8547befc.png

Yes it’s been futile playing the Cleveland Indians these last three years.  In that time this team has collected a lot of bumps and scrapes and stains and boo-boos etc.  I think they’re due to win two of these three games.  By the law of averages they can’t suck all the time against this team even when the games take place in the Tribe’s home ball park. 

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, IdahoBert said:

He still injury prone. I am certainly not rooting for anything to happen to him because I really love the guy, but it’s generally hard for him to get through an entire season without missing 4 to 6 weeks.   He did that once with us. 

He is also the second best Tigers hitter in the last 50 years.  That's just looking at hitting and not considering position or defense.  

1 hour ago, tiger337 said:

He is also the second best Tigers hitter in the last 50 years.  That's just looking at hitting and not considering position or defense.  

Oh I wish they kept him for sure. But I also understand why they didn’t.  The Red Sox too were very concerned about his physical condition. But they are used to big expenditures, can absorb them, and they are not rebuilding.

The Tigers however made an all or nothing decision to rebuild and giving a player with an up-and-down physical history a $110 million contract (and I assumed it would be considerably more) for five plus years was in direct opposition to that plan. That was the old way of doing business and they chose to stop doing business that way.  At least for an indeterminate period. As a fan I wish it were a more nuanced approach but I also get the reasoning. 

The Kansas City #Royals and Detroit #Tigers will play a game on June 13,2019, in Omaha, two days before the College World Series.

On 6/19/2018 at 7:51 AM, Oblong said:

Wife got me tickets to see the Mud Hens play in August.  Behind the plate.  Looking forward to it.

So........your really going to a Tiger game?

3 hours ago, kdog said:

The Kansas City #Royals and Detroit #Tigers will play a game on June 13,2019, in Omaha, two days before the College World Series.

No doubt, this will be as close as the Tigers will get to a WS in the next several years.

On 6/19/2018 at 11:09 AM, Oblong said:

Forget it hes rolling

• Like 1

Those 2 off days in 4 days in June killed our momentum. We coulda been a contender.

• Like 1

All of those daggum rain outs that they scheduled in April.....

18 minutes ago, Casimir said:

All of those daggum rain outs that they scheduled in April.....

So the word “daggum” perked my interest. I always thought it was spelled correctly as dadgum. Then I figured dadgum is the southern version of  daggum. I’m native North Carolina and most always hear it pronounced ‘dadgum.’ Looked it up.

Dadgum definition: adjective. “Chiefly Southern US. Used as an intensive to express mild annoyance. Origin of dadgum. Alteration of God D***.”

Geez, I had no idea it was a cleaner version of GD! Dadgum  rolls right into dadgummit which definitely rolls like GD’it. Daggum is a moderated form of dadgum, considered cleaner, and avoiding the GD association. 

Amazing what you can learn on off days!

1 hour ago, LooseGoose said:

3 off days in the next 10 or so.....this is painful.

Goodbye Big Mo. 

1 hour ago, 1776 said:

So the word “daggum” perked my interest. I always thought it was spelled correctly as dadgum. Then I figured dadgum is the southern version of  daggum. I’m native North Carolina and most always hear it pronounced ‘dadgum.’ Looked it up.

Dadgum definition: adjective. “Chiefly Southern US. Used as an intensive to express mild annoyance. Origin of dadgum. Alteration of God D***.”

Geez, I had no idea it was a cleaner version of GD! Dadgum  rolls right into dadgummit which definitely rolls like GD’it. Daggum is a moderated form of dadgum, considered cleaner, and avoiding the GD association. 

Amazing what you can learn on off days!

Dag'um for the really, really southers.

A tweet from @TigersHistory

July 26, 1916: Tigers fans greet Harry Heilmann with standing ovation at Navin Field after he saved a drowning woman from the Detroit River the night before

Man, those were the good ol' days. A century ago all you needed to do to get a standing O was take a refreshing mid-summer dip in the river. These days you really have to earn a standing O, by enduring a few days of meanie criticism after making racist and homophobic posts.

heilmann.jpg

11 minutes ago, Casimir said:

Dag'um for the really, really southers.

The best dadgummits I ever heard were those issued by Bobby Bowden. His were as genuine as they come.

2 hours ago, IdahoBert said:

Goodbye Big Mo. 

Yep.  This day off couldn't come at a worse time.  Just when the Tigers are building momentum for the stretch drive.

if not for that this team could of contended.