Jump to content

Motor City Sonics

29 Years Ago Tonight

Recommended Posts


I watched the game at the Silverdome where they showed it on what was then the huge video screen.  

 

Best sign I saw  was "Live By The Broom, Die By The Broom"  

(The Lakers had swept every series until the Finals when the Pistons swept them).  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I loved those teams a lot more than the 2004 team.

A lot of that has to do with being a kid then.  But also how much heartbreak those teams had on their way to winning the titles.

 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Yeah, the climb made it so sweet.

Plus, somehow, in spite of the various heartbreak, each season they took another step.  The ascension never back-tracked or otherwise stalled.  The heartbreaks never lead to a setback.  Just made 'em tougher.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Mr. Bigglesworth said:

Yeah, the climb made it so sweet.

Plus, somehow, in spite of the various heartbreak, each season they took another step.  The ascension never back-tracked or otherwise stalled.  The heartbreak was never a setback.

that, plus I think another neat thing about that team was that they expressed  every aspect of the game well. You saw the Pistons play every kind of basketball that yr.  A 7 ft post up center in Edwards, one of the original stretch 4/5s in Laimbeer who could pull his defender away from the basket and sink a three, a fabulously talented fearless driving point guard in Isaiah, a long lean fast break team with Salley and Rodman, who was also the fastest most agile defender/rebounder in the league, a crazy shoot out the lights out offensive player in Vinney, and just an all round solid scoring 2 guard who just happened to be the second best man on man defender in the league after only his own teammate. None of them were best to ever play their positions, but they were versatile and deep enough to match any kind of game you wanted to play and still beat you.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, Deleterious said:

U5Dl7Vm.jpg

I still have that shirt.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, Deleterious said:

I loved those teams a lot more than the 2004 team.

A lot of that has to do with being a kid then.  But also how much heartbreak those teams had on their way to winning the titles.

 

plus that team finally broke through against two of the greatest teams of all time.

the 2004 team went and got itself beat by inferior teams in the ecf multiple times.  the 2004 team underachieved, imo.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

In 1988 Norm Nixon hit a 3 point shot late in Game 7 and taunted the Pistons bench and I got so mad I threw my TV remote into the ground.  Had to go to the cable company the next day to buy a new one.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On ‎6‎/‎14‎/‎2018 at 9:26 AM, Deleterious said:

I loved those teams a lot more than the 2004 team.

A lot of that has to do with being a kid then.  But also how much heartbreak those teams had on their way to winning the titles.

 

And to think that they were THIS close to a 3-Peat beating a prime Bird, Magic and Jordan along the way, multiple times, if it hadn't been for the phantom call on Laimbeer.  Not to mention that they should have met the Lakers in the '87 finals (which they would have likely lost, but still).

Maybe I'm biased but the Bad Boys were one of the greatest dynasties of all time but they don't get as much mention as the other teams because they didn't have the sexy names and were universally hated.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

if you live in new york you'd think the 70s knicks were a dynasty with how much they get talked about.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 6/14/2018 at 2:40 PM, Buddha said:

plus that team finally broke through against two of the greatest teams of all time.

the 2004 team went and got itself beat by inferior teams in the ecf multiple times.  the 2004 team underachieved, imo.

How can a team who won a championship under achieve?

The only inferior team I think they lost to were the 2007 Cavs. It took 7 games to defeat Shaq and Wade in 2005 with Wade injured and not even playing in game 6. Miami did go on to win the championship in 2006. Boston had the best team in the league in 2008 and won the championship. If anything, Boston underachieved that year by not dominating in the playoffs like they should have. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Motown Bombers said:

How can a team who won a championship under achieve?

The only inferior team I think they lost to were the 2007 Cavs. It took 7 games to defeat Shaq and Wade in 2005 with Wade injured and not even playing in game 6. Miami did go on to win the championship in 2006. Boston had the best team in the league in 2008 and won the championship. If anything, Boston underachieved that year by not dominating in the playoffs like they should have. 

They were better than that Miami team and MUCH better than that Cleveland team.  

Boston was a better team, but they should have been in 4 finals, not 2.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Buddha said:

They were better than that Miami team and MUCH better than that Cleveland team.  

Boston was a better team, but they should have been in 4 finals, not 2.

Miami had the two best players in that series. It took 7 games the prior year to beat Miami with Wade not even playing in one of the games.

They were better than Cleveland, no doubt. It really wasn't even the Lebron effect. I never thought I would hate a boobie as much I did after that Cleveland series. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Forum Statistics

    • Total Topics
      96,127
    • Total Posts
      2,824,032
  • Who's Online (See full list)

  • Upcoming Events

    No upcoming events found
×