Motor City Sonics

Miggy out for season

1 minute ago, socaltiger said:

Do the Tigers Get Insurance $$ when Miguel is out ?

If they managed to get insurance on Cabrera I can't imagine the premium wasn't pretty huge.

47 minutes ago, Gehringer_2 said:

If they managed to get insurance on Cabrera I can't imagine the premium wasn't pretty huge.

Depends on when they got the policy and how long it was for. I doubt they insured every year of the contract back when it was signed. And then of course there are the questions regarding the types of injuries that were covered and how much the insurance would cover. 

for a guy who had never been on DL in his career, why would the premiums be high?

or maybe the question is why would the Tigers bother to insure?

7 minutes ago, RatkoVarda said:

for a guy who had never been on DL in his career, why would the premiums be high?

or maybe the question is why would the Tigers bother to insure?

Like Shelton noted, depends on when they decided to insure, if they did. And even at the beginning of the contract, I'm sure underwriters were pretty clear eyed about the prospects for 42 year old ball players regardless of what they looked like at 30, even if Mike Ilitch was not.

16 minutes ago, Gehringer_2 said:

Like Shelton noted, depends on when they decided to insure, if they did. And even at the beginning of the contract, I'm sure underwriters were pretty clear eyed about the prospects for 42 year old ball players regardless of what they looked like at 30, even if Mike Ilitch was not.

I would guess that tigers may have insured only the first few years of the contract initially, for the reasons you said. Insuring his late 30s would cost too much. If they are lucky, the insurance ran through this year, and they got the policy before he started getting injured. 

At any rate, it doesn’t really matter how high the premiums are/were. That cost is sunk. Of course, there could be some escalator of the premium if they collect on the insurance.

I don't care about Cabrera's contract, but I don't feel as if I am missing anything with his season-ending injury.  It has been great watching him over the years, but he has not been entertaining the last two seasons.  I hope that he gets himself in great shape  this off-season and becomes an Ortiz-like DH.  However, I am losing hope that he will every stay healthy for a full season.  

Just now, tiger337 said:

I don't care about Cabrera's contract, but I don't feel as if I am missing anything with his season-ending injury.  It has been great watching him over the years, but he has not been entertaining the last two seasons.  I hope that he gets himself in great shape  this off-season and becomes an Ortiz-like DH.  However, I am losing hope that he will every stay healthy for a full season.  

I am legitimately concerned he will not reach 3000 hits or 500 hrs. That would be depressing 

6 minutes ago, pyrotigers said:

I am legitimately concerned he will not reach 3000 hits or 500 hrs. That would be depressing 

I am confident he'll reach both, but it might be a painful process.  

14 hours ago, pyrotigers said:

35 more homers and 334 hits.  He needs to average 7 hrs and 67 hits over the last 5 years of his contract.  I don't know if he plays enough games to reach those numbers.  His bat looked as if it had slowed down from previous years, and he showed very little power.

It was sad watching Al Kaline hang around for the last couple of years, trying to get the last 200 hits.  He'd have been in the Hall without them.

It wouldn't have to be painful except for having to hear about it all the time from  fans and media... there's always that loudmouth at the game who thinks he's clever by bitching about a "$30 million singles hitter....."

Valenti had a wonderful take about how Miguel should not have accepted the contract because it was predictable that he would decline and fans would turn on him as a consequence, and since he doesn't need that much money he shouldn't have put his legacy at risk.

Back to the people.

2 hours ago, Mr. Bigglesworth said:

Valenti had a wonderful take about how Miguel should not have accepted the contract because it was predictable that he would decline and fans would turn on him as a consequence, and since he doesn't need that much money he shouldn't have put his legacy at risk by alienating the fans.

Back to the people.

By this logic, why does Valenti keep signing contracts to produce his radio show? 

7 hours ago, Charles Liston said:

It was sad watching Al Kaline hang around for the last couple of years, trying to get the last 200 hits.  He'd have been in the Hall without them.

That was when I was first really getting into the game, so that version of Kaline is unfortunately the one that I remember.  Following his entire career must have been like following Whitaker and Trammell.      

We've been discussing Cabrera's contract being the worst ever and so on in a few threads, couldn't really remember which one, so why not here. Just saw this and hey, maybe he won't be the worst after all

" Through 57 games this season, Davis is hitting just .150 with four homers and 15 RBI while posting just a .227 on-base percentage. He’s struck out 86 times which is nearly triple the number of hits (31) that he’s collected this season. This type of performance is not what the O’s were expecting when they signed Davis to a seven-year, $161 million deal after the 2015 season. "

ouch.

Weren't the rumors at the time that Ilitch really wanted Davis but Avila talked him out of it and got Upton instead?  Not sure if there is any truth to any of it but if that was the case then Avila deserves bonus points for helping to prevent Ilitch from signing that contract.    

9 hours ago, pyrotigers said:

We've been discussing Cabrera's contract being the worst ever and so on in a few threads, couldn't really remember which one, so why not here. Just saw this and hey, maybe he won't be the worst after all

" Through 57 games this season, Davis is hitting just .150 with four homers and 15 RBI while posting just a .227 on-base percentage. He’s struck out 86 times which is nearly triple the number of hits (31) that he’s collected this season. This type of performance is not what the O’s were expecting when they signed Davis to a seven-year, $161 million deal after the 2015 season. "

ouch.

I think i heard on one of the sports talk shows that a bar in Baltimore is giving out free shots whenever Davis gets a hit. I don’t remember the type of shot. It had a name. 

11 hours ago, pyrotigers said:

ouch.dly

Right there with you, I mentioned Davis in whatever thread that was.  And the great thing is that the Orioles had to outbid the Orioles to sign him.  I think that the mention of Ilitch wanting Davis is false, there was nowhere to put him on the Tigers.  I think that Peter Angelos  had to outbid Peter Angelos for Chris Davis, and he shrewdly made an offer that not even Peter Angelos would match.

Fun fact - Peter Angelos will be 89 in July.

2 hours ago, Charles Liston said:

Right there with you, I mentioned Davis in whatever thread that was.  And the great thing is that the Orioles had to outbid the Orioles to sign him.  I think that the mention of Ilitch wanting Davis is false, there was nowhere to put him on the Tigers.  I think that Peter Angelos  had to outbid Peter Angelos for Chris Davis, and he shrewdly made an offer that not even Peter Angelos would match.

Fun fact - Peter Angelos will be 89 in July.

I think you're totally right on that one. It was such a weird negotiation where it seemed like it went from no one wanting Davis to him suddenly getting that gigantic contract

The way I remember it is the Tigers wanted another big bat 2015, but didn't have the money to sign Upton.  Therefore, they considered Davis since his value was dropping and no one was signing him (even though he had little experience in LF where the Tigers had an opening).  Then Ilitch intervened and said, "you're silly, get a real outfielder, here's some extra money."  

On 6/15/2018 at 7:35 AM, Charles Liston said:

He needed to hang around a while longer.........to get that 400th HR.   :)